Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2020, 05:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.2
State: New York
THOR #13482
Unhappy LCI Level system lost fluid

We were on our way home from a recent trip and the TCI panel started to chirp and warning light levels down came on. I have a 2014 ACE 29.2. I was able to pull over safely to check this out. The level pads where still stowed, but all the fluid had drained out of the tank connected to the pump. Any idea why it all drained out. I did a visual and feel check of the hoses leaving the pump and non looked split and all are connected to the pump. The tank looks in tact. The manual does not go into any troubleshooting for this issue. What fluid was in the tank ,transmission or a hydraulic fluid? Once I know what fluid should be in the tank I could add it back in and turn on the pump to see where it is spraying out. Has any one replaced the tank and / or pump? It does not look difficult to remove and repair, just messy.

Unhappy campers.
David and Barbara

Old 04-09-2020, 06:12 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
You need to find the leak. That is a lot of fluid to lose without a trace. You need to check the following:

- Oil Tank for cracks
- Hydraulic lines at each connection point
- Each jack for a possible seal leak
- Pressure sensor module

You also need to check your manual for the recommended fluid type. It is typically a specific transmission fluid.

Did you hit / run over anything in the road?
Old 04-09-2020, 06:15 PM   #3

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Well, on my 2013 the hydraulic leveler tank uses transmission fluid (see my attached excerpt from Lippert Manual – Dexron III or Mercon5).....but check your specific jacks manual in case you have something different.
If your reservoir tank is empty and there is not a ton of fluid in the same basement bay as the tank/pump, then you have a leak at the jacks or a hose has blown somewhere between pump and jacks. This would mean becoming more intimate with the underside of your coach to see where that leak has occurred. No sense filling the reservoir again until you find the leak(s) and repair. If you were driving when it happened then fluid has probably sprayed back over the under body near the leak. There are numerous postings on the forum advising of hose failures from chafing where they pass through frame members etc. Or just plain poor quality hydraulic lines being used from day 1. So far I have not had to repair or replace any of my 2013 hydraulics......knocking on wood here. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dexron Recommended Jack Fluid.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	23230  
Old 04-09-2020, 09:20 PM   #4

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
I have friend that it happened to. It was a hose that rubbed through on a frame rail. We took it off and had one made at a truck service
Center.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:41 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
David,
Before you put any fluid back in the tank take a good look around under your mh for signs of oil. This past January we were just minutes from our FL destinations when we heard a very loud bang, the leveling control panel started going crazy, and smoke started coming out from under the right front corner of the mh. When I was able to get off the road and make sure nothing was actually burning I found everything under the right front covered in oil. After checking both engine oil and trans fluid levels I discovered the empty fluid tank for the jacks. We were able to continue on to our destination where upon closer inspection I found that a hydraulic line on the right front jack blew off at the fitting. Luckily I was able to find a repairman who replaced the line. Hardest part was feeding the the new line side to side. Once the line was replaced, filed the tank and cycled the jacks, topped off the tank and cycled the jacks a few more times. No problem since. Good luck.
Old 05-01-2020, 03:25 AM   #6

THOR #13482
LCI levelers lost fluid

I finally had a day with decent weather in western NY to check the hoses leading from the pump and I found the 2 orange hose connections where very loose. I tightened them up and checked the rest of the pump connections which where tight. I need to buy the Transmission fluid to refill the tank and test it. I will keep you posted on my progress.

David
Old 05-02-2020, 03:46 PM   #7

THOR #13482
LCI levelers lost fluid

To all who responded to my post. Thanks, allot of good advice there. As I posted, it turned out to be 2 loose hose connections at the pump. I tightened them up and checked all the rest of the connections, filled the tank with fluid. 1 gallon of Dexron tranny fluid. I turned on the control panel and no more warning sounds and the panel had no warning lights. I ran the Jacks up and down and all is good again. Now I can't wait to get on the road again once things open up.
A new item to add to my departure check list, check the LCI connections and fluid level in that tank.

David
Old 06-17-2020, 04:09 PM   #8

THOR #13482
LCI Auto Leveler system panel says jacks down when fully retracted

I have a continuing issue with my levelers. I have replaced the High pressure switch, which was suggested as a possible solution. The fluid level is at the proper level. When the e-brake is released the pump runs trying to raise the jacks which are fully retracted and on the control panel: Jacks Down light is lite. If I unplug the High Pressure Switch and release the e-brake the pump does not run. I need to know if I can travel safely with this disconnected. I am supposed the be leaving for a 2 week trip in a few days.
Any suggestion on a cause and fix for this issue?

David
Old 06-17-2020, 04:22 PM   #9

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1a2guy View Post
I have a continuing issue with my levelers. I have replaced the High pressure switch, which was suggested as a possible solution. The fluid level is at the proper level. When the e-brake is released the pump runs trying to raise the jacks which are fully retracted and on the control panel: Jacks Down light is lite. If I unplug the High Pressure Switch and release the e-brake the pump does not run. I need to know if I can travel safely with this disconnected. I am supposed the be leaving for a 2 week trip in a few days.
Any suggestion on a cause and fix for this issue?

David
There are a couple possibilities.....

If you do not have a visible leak (signs of fluid under any of the jacks, power control unit or along the routing of the hoses, then it would not be a related to a physical leak. However, there could be a seal in one of the levelers or on the power control unit leaking and allowing the pressure to drop.

It could also still be related to the pressure sensor. It could be a bad wire, connector or you could have gotten a defective sensor.

The Jacks Down alarm is occurring because the system is sensing the pressure needed to keep the jacks retracted is below the minimum pressure. When you release the parking brake, the system sets off the alarm because it thinks the jacks are down... even though there may be enough pressure to keep them retracted.

It's a tough call as to whether it is safe to drive. If it is not a false pressure reading and it is a real pressure drop, then that could be a concern.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:01 PM   #10

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
If you want to check for an internal leak on one piston, lower the jacks and then extend them as far as you can. (Careful about lifting wheels). Let it sit for awhile and see if one drops. An internal leak the pressure will bleed both ways.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:40 PM   #11

State: Michigan
THOR #25030
Has this ever happened to anyone my right side hydraulic jack fell off I retracted the jacks as soon as I moved the Motor Home forward about 10 feet heard a dragging sound stooped the coach looked under the jack was on the ground after inspection I noticed the jack was Welded to the frame not bolted and the welds didn't hold up if this had happened when I was driving full speed it would be a different story. Any suggestions on a fix?
Old 10-26-2021, 06:37 PM   #12

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20808
Sounds like the jack was jammed and the piston was stuck in the outer cylinder housing, the pump pressure switch must have seen the PSI when retracting. Hence the light was off (jacks down). The welds broke because you moved the MH and the jack was down against the ground.
At this point don't trust the jack, call Lippert and get a totally new replacement and then find a skilled tech to weld it on the frame.
Pictures?
Old 11-22-2021, 07:29 AM   #13

State: Georgia
THOR #9957
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Well, on my 2013 the hydraulic leveler tank uses transmission fluid (see my attached excerpt from Lippert Manual – Dexron III or Mercon5).....but check your specific jacks manual in case you have something different.
If your reservoir tank is empty and there is not a ton of fluid in the same basement bay as the tank/pump, then you have a leak at the jacks or a hose has blown somewhere between pump and jacks. This would mean becoming more intimate with the underside of your coach to see where that leak has occurred. No sense filling the reservoir again until you find the leak(s) and repair. If you were driving when it happened then fluid has probably sprayed back over the under body near the leak. There are numerous postings on the forum advising of hose failures from chafing where they pass through frame members etc. Or just plain poor quality hydraulic lines being used from day 1. So far I have not had to repair or replace any of my 2013 hydraulics......knocking on wood here. Good luck.
Hoses life is 4 years. Most likely a hose. Use red hydraulic fluid then it’ll be easy to discover when looking. Either fluid is lightweight. Making hoses are a beeeze. Recommend heavy duty hose and you’ll have to buy fittings.
Old 11-22-2021, 07:33 AM   #14

THOR #9957
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1a2guy View Post
I finally had a day with decent weather in western NY to check the hoses leading from the pump and I found the 2 orange hose connections where very loose. I tightened them up and checked the rest of the pump connections which where tight. I need to buy the Transmission fluid to refill the tank and test it. I will keep you posted on my progress.

David
You can drill a tiny hose in fitting cap and slide wire through and tie to anything under mh to keep it from loosening.
Old 11-22-2021, 01:29 PM   #15

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Hydraulic hose life is way more than 4 years

Sent from my SM-G970U using Thor RV Forum mobile app
Old 11-22-2021, 01:57 PM   #16

THOR #9957
You might be the ones who test that. What’s the psi in levelers?
Old 11-22-2021, 04:31 PM   #17

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
My hoses in my LCI systems lasted about 16 years, but I believe they should have been changed before then. Cracking and dry rotting had set in. And since the system puts out over 2K PSI, you don't want to wait too long.