Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2018, 10:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Daybreak 32HD
State: Texas
THOR #1427
Tea Pot Sound and Loss of Power

All, good evening and I am looking for guidance. I own a 2013 Thor Daybreak 32HD 15k miles. RV sat for 5 months starting every month for 30 minutes - fishing in Port Aransas Texas. Observation: Going home and driving down the road at 68 mph with TOAD. Passing vehicles up to to 75 mph with peddle to spare - normal. All of a sudden a "BOILING TEA POT Sound" came from the engine. I released the accelerator sound stopped. Then the motor would race to 5500/6500 rpm and only reach 50 mph. I diverted my plans and drove 5 more miles to the Ford Dealership. Ford diagnosed exhaust manifold leak. Great, I paid what the extended warranty would not pay for rusted bolts that had to be re-tapped. Received the vehicle and attached the TOAD. Drove -No noise and went down the road until the interstate. They coach would only go to 50 mph and I went back to Ford. They called and said no more charge as it is still not operational. Ford called today and they are flipping a coin in the air as to the problem. Maybe a tork convertor or bad motor? I called Thor and they have me the Ford Chassis Support number 800-444-3311. I called support and the Agent went through their “CALL SCRIPT” and I answered their questions and received my Case Action Number (CAN). She asked did they check the accelerator brake sensor. Governor Board? I said those are questions for Ford to answer. I called Ford and gave the CAN and telephone number. They told me they will call me later in the week. Has anyone experienced this same problem?
Engine
Engine, Triton / V10, Chassis Brand, Ford Chassis Model, F-Series Super Duty, Cylinders 10, Horsepower 362 hp @ 4,750 RPM, Torque 457 ft-lbs. @ 3,250 RPM
Displacement, 6.8 litres, Fuel Type Gas, Fuel Requirements Regular, Carburetion Type Fuel Injected, Turbocharged No, Supercharged No

Transmission
Transmission Brand TorqShift, Transmission Type 5 Speed Automatic Overdrive Yes

Thank you for your support - David

Old 10-18-2018, 12:58 AM   #2

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMDSKI View Post
All, good evening and I am looking for guidance. I own a 2013 Thor Daybreak 32HD 15k miles. RV sat for 5 months starting every month for 30 minutes - fishing in Port Aransas Texas. Observation: Going home and driving down the road at 68 mph with TOAD. Passing vehicles up to to 75 mph with peddle to spare - normal. All of a sudden a "BOILING TEA POT Sound" came from the engine. I released the accelerator sound stopped. Then the motor would race to 5500/6500 rpm and only reach 50 mph. I diverted my plans and drove 5 more miles to the Ford Dealership. Ford diagnosed exhaust manifold leak. Great, I paid what the extended warranty would not pay for rusted bolts that had to be re-tapped. Received the vehicle and attached the TOAD. Drove -No noise and went down the road until the interstate. They coach would only go to 50 mph and I went back to Ford. They called and said no more charge as it is still not operational. Ford called today and they are flipping a coin in the air as to the problem. Maybe a tork convertor or bad motor? I called Thor and they have me the Ford Chassis Support number 800-444-3311. I called support and the Agent went through their “CALL SCRIPT” and I answered their questions and received my Case Action Number (CAN). She asked did they check the accelerator brake sensor. Governor Board? I said those are questions for Ford to answer. I called Ford and gave the CAN and telephone number. They told me they will call me later in the week. Has anyone experienced this same problem?
Engine
Engine, Triton / V10, Chassis Brand, Ford Chassis Model, F-Series Super Duty, Cylinders 10, Horsepower 362 hp @ 4,750 RPM, Torque 457 ft-lbs. @ 3,250 RPM
Displacement, 6.8 litres, Fuel Type Gas, Fuel Requirements Regular, Carburetion Type Fuel Injected, Turbocharged No, Supercharged No

Transmission
Transmission Brand TorqShift, Transmission Type 5 Speed Automatic Overdrive Yes

Thank you for your support - David
Long time ago had a Chevy 454 in an RV that did that with the exhaust manifold. NO space at all to work on it but they didn't tell me about the frozen bolts either. Just a major pain to work on it.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:38 PM   #3

THOR #1427
Tea Pot Sound

Hi, after 4 months of numerous testing, fuel diagnosis, and reprogramming my ECM. I finally received my rig back during the first week of January. I am moving down the road with my rig and toad at 75MPH with peddle to spare. The Ford Representative told them to run my motor for two hours until hot and run the tests again. This time faults were present; my catalytic converter was plugged. Picture attached. I am just closing my request help. r-David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cat.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	15671  
Old 02-14-2019, 01:13 AM   #4

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Wow, Im glad you figured it out.

Your RV only has 15K on it .....and the Cat is plugged?

Did you ask them what could have caused the Cat to plug up in the first please.

Might be something else wrong in addition to the Cat that cause it to clog up at such low miles??

Burning oil? Running rich? Bad fuel? Ebola?

I dont know just thowing things out there to see what sticks.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:29 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Am I to understand that it took 4 months to figure out that you had a clogged catalytic converter? I'm glad that you got your rig back but wow, 4 months seems like a very long time.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:32 AM   #6

THOR #1427
Reponse

Hi, it took from September to January to fix my problem. Which includes: Numerous Ford Personal Visits, Telephonic Consultations, Tests Results, Maternity Leave, Vacations (3-Ford New Braunfels Employees), Columbus Day, Election Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, Pearl Harbor/D-Day, Christmas Day, and the New Year. This all leads to Winter Storage on the road in 2018 and jubilation in 2019. Recommendation: All engine tests should be done with a hot engine and a lawyer. R-David
Old 02-14-2019, 03:57 AM   #7

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMDSKI View Post
Hi, it took from September to January to fix my problem. Which includes: Numerous Ford Personal Visits, Telephonic Consultations, Tests Results, Maternity Leave, Vacations (3-Ford New Braunfels Employees), Columbus Day, Election Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, Pearl Harbor/D-Day, Christmas Day, and the New Year. This all leads to Winter Storage on the road in 2018 and jubilation in 2019. Recommendation: All engine tests should be done with a hot engine and a lawyer. R-David
AND...A "livestock prod" in one hand and a .44 on your hip...
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:56 AM   #8

Model: Dynamax REV 24 RB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3069
This is speculation on my part but you mentioned running your engine once a month for 30 minutes. Better to drive it for an hour rather than let it idle. 30 minutes is not long enough to keep your engine healthy. That habit nay have contributed to the clogged catalytic converter. Your engine never got hot enough to burn off contaminants.

Glad you are good now.