Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2018, 04:17 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
Test your Emergency Start switch!

Well 5 months out of warranty we found out Our emergency start switch is not working. We left something on and came back to ALL batteries were dead.

We had the batteries tested and after charging, I left the headlights on for a while, then while watching the headlights, hit the emergency start switch to connect the house batteries. Nothing.

Took it to the dealer and sure enough the controller is only working to charge the house from the engine but will not connect backwards. So we get to replace it at our cost. Just never thought to test it.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:21 PM   #2

Model: Windsport. 35M
State: New York
THOR #6199
Thanks for the post. I have never tried that function. I will test it today.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:35 PM   #3

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Hi. Not sure I understand what operating the emergency start switch during your headlight test was supposed to do.......brighten the head lights I assume, if the house batteries were fully charged while chassis battery was not? Does your coach use the BIRD battery control system? If yes, I have attached a basic BIRD schematic for reference. If the interconnect (isolator) relay operates when emergency start button is operated, it ties the coach and chassis batteries together and should have no directional current limitations. Of course when both coach and chassis batteries are dead the interconnect (isolator) relay wont operate either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BIRD Basic Schematic.jpg
Views:	872
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	11808  
Old 08-05-2018, 10:55 PM   #4

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Oklahoma
THOR #6418
If it is the Isolator relay, Google Trombetta Solenoid. They are not that expensive and are easy to replace.

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:31 AM   #5

State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Our VEGAS BIRD was wired wrong. Discovered it first when the engine alternator wouldn't charge the house batteries.Then tried the emergency start and that was also a no go.

THOR had the house and chassis connections reversed on the bird and trombetta.

Thanks to EDs manual, and a lot of tracing, reversed the connections and now everything works as it should.

I don't really blame THOR as it would be really easy to reverse the connections as the cables have no markings. Had the dealer look at it when it was under warranty, but they said NO TROUBLE FOUND....
Old 08-06-2018, 02:00 AM   #6

State: Oregon
THOR #6934
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Hi. Not sure I understand what operating the emergency start switch during your headlight test was supposed to do.......brighten the head lights I assume, if the house batteries were fully charged while chassis battery was not? Does your coach use the BIRD battery control system? If yes, I have attached a basic BIRD schematic for reference. If the interconnect (isolator) relay operates when emergency start button is operated, it ties the coach and chassis batteries together and should have no directional current limitations. Of course when both coach and chassis batteries are dead the interconnect (isolator) relay wont operate either.
That was my Point, leave the headlights on for a while to draw down the Chassis battery partially, then try the switch, the isolator should connect the batteries and the headlights get brighter. If not, then the isolator isn't working. Personally I just placed a volt meter across the coach battery, with the chassis battery drawn down some, and the headlights on. there should be a small voltage drop when the isolator connects, which there wasn't.