Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2019, 07:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Question Thermostat Upgrade Problem

I have a Coleman Mach ducted AC and the standard Suburban furnace. The OEM thermostat is a Coleman 7330 series analog unit that gives us fluctuations in temps I cannot stand. I looked up the direct replacement part for it and got the Coleman 8330 digital series that is listed as the direct replacement for Fan/Air/Furnance. We do not have a heat pump.

I disconnected all coach power and verified it. I cut and connected only 1 wire at a time, so I did not have to worry about mislabeling things. I took pictures of each OEM wire connection, and as I made the new connections one at a time I verified the wiring is the same.

Power back on to the coach and nothing at the thermostat. It does not come on in any mode. Nothing at all on the screen. Coach breakers and fuses are all good.

Any suggestions??

2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:43 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I am not familiar with the Digital version Coleman Mac (although I thought they were drop in compatible with the Analog version.....but I don't know that for sure). Years ago I replaced our ACE 30.1 Analog Coleman Mac with a Hunter Digital thermostat which runs on two AA batteries instead of the 12vdc coach batteries......see my attached wiring diagram related to my conversion. On the digital (right) side of the diagram I wired the thermostat so its wire colors matched the coach wiring colors so it would be easier to reconnect if Ihad to replace the Hunter in the future. Check to make sure you have the wires on the correct terminals. The thermostat terminal designations should be similar over the years I would think and should be similar in your situation.....famous last words. I hope this helps you a little.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Updated Analog to Digital Thermostat Conversion.jpg
Views:	5990
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	15503  
Old 02-03-2019, 07:48 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
The thermostat get's it's 12 VDC operating power from the furnace. There is an On/Off/Reset switch that if off/tripped will prevent power going to the thermostat but I believe it is more likely you may have blown the fuse that provides the 12 VDC to the furnace. That's the first place I would look.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:32 PM   #4

THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
The thermostat get's it's 12 VDC operating power from the furnace. There is an On/Off/Reset switch that if off/tripped will prevent power going to the thermostat but I believe it is more likely you may have blown the fuse that provides the 12 VDC to the furnace. That's the first place I would look.
So my first thought was a fuse or a breaker. The rig is in the garage, so I cannot put the slide out. When in it partially blacks my breaker/fuse panel. I know all the breakers were good. And of course Thor could not label the 15-20 different fuses. What I could pull were fine, but then I ran out of time and had somewhere to be.

I'll check the furnace reset you mentioned. If that's not it I'll back it out of the garage, run out the slide, and start checking fuses.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:48 PM   #5

THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
I am not familiar with the Digital version Coleman Mac (although I thought they were drop in compatible with the Analog version.....but I don't know that for sure). Years ago I replaced our ACE 30.1 Analog Coleman Mac with a Hunter Digital thermostat which runs on two AA batteries instead of the 12vdc coach batteries......see my attached wiring diagram related to my conversion. On the digital (right) side of the diagram I wired the thermostat so its wire colors matched the coach wiring colors so it would be easier to reconnect if Ihad to replace the Hunter in the future. Check to make sure you have the wires on the correct terminals. The thermostat terminal designations should be similar over the years I would think and should be similar in your situation.....famous last words. I hope this helps you a little.
Are you saying you changed the wires on your thermostat? The Coleman to Coleman for these 2 models is supposed to be a direct drop-in conversion. The original is the same model as your's and was wired the same. The digital model has the same wiring, so I disconnected and reconnected one at a time so the new thermostat was wired just like the old.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:11 PM   #6

THOR #2631
On my 2013 coach I think the original Coleman analog thermostat had very short wiring into the wall cavity OR was stub wired into the wall and then the final connections to the main device cables (to furnace, air conditioner etc) were made with wire nuts. So when I did the conversion I used same color wires to extend slightly and rewire to the new thermo contacts (wire nuts again but taped and strain relieved). Sounds like you were careful on the one for one conversion, but you also said you disconnected the batteries I thought before you did the wiring conversion? If you don't see +12Vdc on the R, RC, RH thermostat terminal (to ground B) with a voltmeter then you have just blown a fuse as Tfryman advised.....or have a bad connection; use/store is off etc. Just a matter of tracking it down.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:35 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
THOR #12231
I did this same exact swap. Luckly mine turned out ok. I wonder if one of the connections same loose in the wall? I guess double check that otherwire Im out of ideas.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:41 PM   #8

THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I did this same exact swap. Luckly mine turned out ok. I wonder if one of the connections same loose in the wall? I guess double check that otherwire Im out of ideas.
SO...you know how it's so obvious the simple and obvious things that get missed? Here's what happened:

When I went to install it the first thing I did was visualize the 2 amp fuse in the thermostat. Looks good so on with the conversion. Performed the switch as I noted. No power. I ran out of time as I just dropped by to do this quick, simple job between appointments. Later I get on here looking for ideas and spend too much time reading tech info and watching useless YouTube videos.

So I had an appointment cancel this morning. I accessed the furnace and checked the reset...all good. Toggled it a few times for good measure and closed it up. I back the rig out of the garage, run out the slide, and start pulling fuses. I pulled, checked, and replaced 13 fuses...all were good. Then I toggled every breaker again just for good measure. Everything in the coach and on the chassis works but this dang thermostat.

I look at that 2 amp fuse in it again. Yep...looks good. Put the tester on it...nothing. I pull it out and hold it to the light...looks good. Test it...nothing. Hold it to the light again and scratch my head. So I jumped the fuse connection and the thermostat comes on. The fuse looked perfectly good, but it must have broken under the metal tabs where I cannot see. A trip to O'Reilly's and an 85 cent fuse later...guess what. Thermostat is on and A/C and furnace work just fine. Why in the world was that fuse not the FIRST thing I checked with a test light the other day?

Oh well...everything works. Thanks for all the input here. This forum comes in handy so often. Next I am headed to MI next week to the Bigfoot plant for them to install levelers. That's one job I am just not willing to tackle. Pray for good weather up there.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:16 PM   #9

THOR #2631
Glad you got your new digital thermostat working. I was wondering about the fuse in the thermostat on the Coleman units......my Hunter Digital did not come equipped with an internal fuse so I put an in line fuse in the wall (unfortunate only location available). Happy heating and cooling in your future travels.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:50 PM   #10

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
THOR #12231
Im glad to hear it worked out for you.

You will love the Big Foot system.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:03 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
I installed both a Hunter 42999B in both my Vegas and Axis and both worked well. In both installations I put a small switch to be able to run both the high and low fan. Several months ago I had a problem with my furnace and during my troubleshooting, I reinstalled the original thermostat to see if that was the problem. It was not the thermostat - the problem was in the furnace. When I reinstalled the Hunter, I decided to not keep the switch, since I never ran the unit on low fan. One set of instructions I had said you could combine the low and high fan wires into one, so that’s what I did. I had problems with the AC running and then not cooling and then cooling and not cooling. I finally had an AC tech look at it and he told me that combining the low and high fan speed wires together apparently confused the module in the AC unit that turns the compressor on and off. He disconnected the low speed wire and everything seems to be working OK now. So, it apparently is not a good idea to combine the high and low speed fan wires if you install a thermostat with only a single speed for the fan.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:28 PM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
I installed both a Hunter 42999B in both my Vegas and Axis and both worked well. In both installations I put a small switch to be able to run both the high and low fan. Several months ago I had a problem with my furnace and during my troubleshooting, I reinstalled the original thermostat to see if that was the problem. It was not the thermostat - the problem was in the furnace. When I reinstalled the Hunter, I decided to not keep the switch, since I never ran the unit on low fan. One set of instructions I had said you could combine the low and high fan wires into one, so that’s what I did. I had problems with the AC running and then not cooling and then cooling and not cooling. I finally had an AC tech look at it and he told me that combining the low and high fan speed wires together apparently confused the module in the AC unit that turns the compressor on and off. He disconnected the low speed wire and everything seems to be working OK now. So, it apparently is not a good idea to combine the high and low speed fan wires if you install a thermostat with only a single speed for the fan.
You can now get a Coleman digital thermostat (Amazon) that has the high/low fan speed switch on it. It was a super easy replacement: Just move wire for wire to the new thermostat and put back up.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:29 AM   #13

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
You can now get a Coleman digital thermostat (Amazon) that has the high/low fan speed switch on it. It was a super easy replacement: Just move wire for wire to the new thermostat and put back up.
Good to know Jamie. Thanks. I’ll put it in my “replacement box”.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:20 PM   #14

Model: Windsport 34E
State: North Carolina
THOR #13360
TS trouble

I replaced the analog TS with the Orbit 83521 digital TSI have wired it as seen int he attached photo. nothing works.
HAs anyone replaced with this TS? If so could you tell me which contacts show 12 volts and or if I have it wired right. Frustrated in NC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190309_141232.jpg
Views:	1563
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	16120  
Old 03-09-2019, 09:39 PM   #15

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
X2 on the Coleman digital replacement. About $55 in white or black and if you are replacing the ubiquitous Coleman analog one it has the same 5 (or maybe 6) wires with the same colors. On one of my coaches they were connected with twist connectors and the other had crimped connections. You don’t need to pay the least bit of attention to what the wires are for. Just connect them the same as they were on the old one.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:03 PM   #16

THOR #2631
MTHook, look back near the beginning of this thread and look at the diagram I posted of my thermostat conversion to a Hunter Digital. All basic thermostats have similar designations and normally +12 VDC is connected to the R terminal and for basic RV furnace and air conditioner the R and RC connectors are connected together with a jumper. If your thermostat runs on its own AA batteries you should not require a ground connection; but if it uses the coach battery for power you will require a ground wire too (B terminal usually). I am not sure why your diagram says battery to G terminal as that usually is to provide power from the thermostat to either high or low speed fan on the air conditioner via the switch you show. To air conditioning compressor for call to cool (Y); to Furnace for call to heat (W). Hope that helps you out.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:27 PM   #17

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Unfortunately, the link is no longer. Do you remember the model number?
Old 03-10-2019, 04:41 PM   #18

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Exclamation

Link still works for me.

T'stat is a "RV Products Airxcel 8330-3862 T-Stat Wall Digital Heat/Cool"
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:20 PM   #19
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreeze View Post
Unfortunately, the link is no longer. Do you remember the model number?
Nothing wrong with that link.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:16 PM   #20

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Nothing wrong with that link.