Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2016, 03:03 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: West Virginia
THOR #1006
Reverse issues

This is a new one for me. Parked my coach ( 1998 Thor on Chevy P30 chassis) last year and it hasn't been moved this year.
I had a leaking tranny pan so I took this off and replaced the fluid and filter and installed a new gasket. Problem solved.
Now, when trying to move the coach, it goes into gear and moves forward. When put into reverse it feels to be shifting but will not roll backwards. It almost feels like the parking brake is on. So, I wanted to pull it backwards about ten feet to where it was on a concrete pad and it will not move backwards, even in neutral.
Is there a reason that the coach would pull itself forward but will not move backward, even in neutral? Could it have something to do with the parking brake malfunctioning? The parking brake light comes on and goes off when using the switch but not sure how to check if it is operating correctly.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:29 AM   #2

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Does it feel like the parking brake is on when you move forward, in other words, do you feel resistance when it moves forward? I assume is has an Auto Park Brake.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:41 AM   #3

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Found this article online.

Chevy P-30 Auto Parking Brake (welcome to our nightmare)

I had my Auto Park Brake lock up on me once while driving thru a parking lot.
I was very glad to get rid of that P30 motorhome cause the braking system scared me.

Thank god most gas chassis' now use normal car like parking brake systems.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:11 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
several questions....
1) is your parking brake simply applied via cable....OR do you have a hydraulic pump that compresses a big arsed spring? If you have the pump setup (my '99 34H did), can you hear the pump when you release the brakes (Yellow button on the dash that you have to push in)
NOTE! the hyd pump uses hydraulic oil...NOT ATF! (don't ask how I know this)
Also crawl under and make sure that the brake shoes haven't froze to the parking brake drum..been there....dun that
2) Check to see if you have a brake master cylinder seized up and won't release the pressure to the brakes wheel cylinders...With GM chassis with hydraulic brakes this is a common occurrence when left sitting for a long time (again don't ask how I know this)
3) If it is in the tranny you may have an air bubble in the lines which won't permit the shift selector to receive the oil pressure needed to go into reverse....(AAMCO time)
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote