Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2022, 08:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Thor ACE 30.3 Dash HVAC control panel detached

Has anyone had the Chassis Dash HVAC control panel fall back into the Dash? I have some ideas of how to fix it. I am wondering if anyone else has had this happen. If it has happened to you, what did you do to fix it? Note, any Read Green DUCK TAPE fixes will be ignored.

Of course, we likely will all get a kick out of any DUCK TAPE fixes that are posted.

I whish I could figure out how to add an image to a post.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 10:09 PM   #2

Model: ACE 29G
State: Florida
THOR #28393
Take a picture with phone then click photo below and find the picture in your gallery and click it.

Example attached.Click image for larger version

Name:	20221030_163001.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	40096
Old 11-12-2022, 10:12 PM   #3

Model: ACE 29G
THOR #28393
My 2023 ACE 29g is at dealer General RV for AC water leaking into cab under dash.
Old 11-12-2022, 10:44 PM   #4

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
Has anyone had the Chassis Dash HVAC control panel fall back into the Dash? I have some ideas of how to fix it. I am wondering if anyone else has had this happen. If it has happened to you, what did you do to fix it? Note, any Read Green DUCK TAPE fixes will be ignored.

Of course, we likely will all get a kick out of any DUCK TAPE fixes that are posted.

Old 11-13-2022, 12:36 AM   #5

THOR #28145
Here is a picture showing the problem.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 11-14-2022, 01:53 PM   #6

Model: 2022 Sanctuary
THOR #26179
Just a guess , but that simulated wood panel would come off & the Controls may have attachment points behind it on the Dash frame .
Old 11-14-2022, 02:18 PM   #7

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthgear View Post
Just a guess , but that simulated wood panel would come off & the Controls may have attachment points behind it on the Dash frame .
Any idea about how to remove fake wood trim? Does it just snap on? I do not want to break it while removing it.

Old 11-14-2022, 11:35 PM   #8

THOR #26179
Quote:
Any idea about how to remove fake wood trim? Does it just snap on? I do not want to break it while removing it.
Can't help you there .
Old 11-15-2022, 12:08 AM   #9

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Mine is held-on by studs glued to the plastic and speed nuts secure studs to the metal.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 01:08 AM   #10

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Mine is held-on by studs glued to the plastic and speed nuts secure studs to the metal.
Mine is the same. Those glued on studs failed along the bottom edge and I used some of the excess screws Thor provided to make a more permanent fix.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 01:30 AM   #11

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Mine is the same. Those glued on studs failed along the bottom edge and I used some of the excess screws Thor provided to make a more permanent fix.
Are the studs supposed to be attached to the Wood look trim, or to the dashboard structure behind the trim? Exactly what did do with the screws, could you post a photo? My thought was to make some metal mounting bracket attached to the plastic behind the Decorative fascia that woud then be covered up by the wood trim fascia.
I also asked Thor about how the fascia was attached but they were no help.

Old 11-19-2022, 11:43 PM   #12

State: California
THOR #26991
At least you have AC. Our expansion valve never worked. Dealer put black goo all over it before we took possession so it worked temporarily. Not happy about that. Then there was the issue of who was responsible for the fix which turned out to be Thor. The rv is in the shop for the third or fourth time since June while we wait for a part. Insane.
Old 11-20-2022, 12:25 AM   #13

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Are the studs supposed to be attached to the Wood look trim, or to the dashboard structure behind the trim? Exactly what did do with the screws, could you post a photo? My thought was to make some metal mounting bracket attached to the plastic behind the Decorative fascia that woud then be covered up by the wood trim fascia.
I also asked Thor about how the fascia was attached but they were no help.
I bet if you push the heater control out of the way and use an automotive mirror and flashlight you will see the nuts to remove
Old 12-14-2022, 03:12 PM   #14

THOR #28145
Fixed pictures

I have fixed the detached HVAC control panel. I have to apologize about the links I was not able to figure out how to get the image thumbnails to appear in line with the text.

I disconnected the two wiring harness connectors and removed the panel so that I could get a clear picture of what I would need to do. It turns out that the panel HVAC is attached to the decorative “wood” trim panel by studs that are fused or glued to the backside of the trim panel.

In my case the HVAC panel detached for the previous owner as well. Only two of the studs were still present but detached on the left side of the panel. An attempt to “fix’ the detached panel was done using some sort of glue that also failed.

I scrapped off enough of the old glue to provide a flat surface. And then I used the panel to locate mounting holes in the dashboard “wood” faceplate. Since this mounting method is significantly stronger, I chose to only use 2 screws, one on each side of the panel to remount the panel. My preference would be to just use a sharpie to mark the location however, I could not get the panel close enough, so I just used a drill bit to make a mark an then drilled it out for an 8 x 32 machine screw.

I soldered brass 8 x 32 nuts to small brass plates that had holes drilled to allow clearance for a machine screw to pass through the plate. I scuffed the plates with a small grinding wheel using my Dremel tool and cleaned with alcohol to remove any grease. I also cleaned the ears on the HVAC panel with alcohol.

I then glued these screw plates on to the Back side of the ears of the HVAC panel using silicone caulk. I chose silicone caulk because it will remain flexible.

After the silicone cured, I reinstalled the panel using 8 x 32 x 1 ½” Philips head screws. This was the hardest part of the fix. I simply did not have enough hands or the ability to contort myself into position to hold the panel and thread the screws. So, I had my son hold the HVAC panel in place while I threaded the screws in place.

After the fact it occurred to me that I could have run the screws into the ears on the panel pointing out as studs and used Acorn nuts to secure the panel from the front side. It would have been much easier to get the panel into place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken HVAC Panel.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	40363  

Old 12-14-2022, 07:14 PM   #15

THOR #26179
Nice job , now does all the controls work ? Hopefully after all that work to remount them .
Old 12-15-2022, 01:11 AM   #16

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthgear View Post
Nice job , now does all the controls work ? Hopefully after all that work to remount them .
The controls all worked while it was detached, the only problem was that I could not change anything while diving. To make an adjustment like turn on the AC turn up or down the heat etc, required coming to a stop so I could use both hands to make the changes. As for the panel still working, I very much doubt the things I did would have damaged the controls. If the panel is broken, I take it out march down to a Ford dealer and demand they sell me a new part. Now that I know how to manage it, a simple replacement will be much easier than it would be if it were still attached the way it was designed.

Old 12-15-2022, 02:00 AM   #17
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
The controls all worked while it was detached, the only problem was that I could not change anything while diving. To make an adjustment like turn on the AC turn up or down the heat etc, required coming to a stop so I could use both hands to make the changes. As for the panel still working, I very much doubt the things I did would have damaged the controls. If the panel is broken, I take it out march down to a Ford dealer and demand they sell me a new part. Now that I know how to manage it, a simple replacement will be much easier than it would be if it were still attached the way it was designed.
Ford dealer would send you down the road. They don't have those parts.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hvac dash panel fell out.