Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2017, 01:47 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Ace 30.2
State: Washington
THOR #5063
Thor ace black tank clean out

I came up with kind of a fix for the Ace black tank clog.(build up of paper etc.). I have used tons of water when we flush but it still builds up because of the horrible design. I bought a 1 1/2 inch plug from Lowes and drilled a hole as high up on the tank as I could. When I looked in there was the mountain again built up and causing the water in the toilet to burp(making a mess in the bathroom). Now I can take the plug out and hose down the tank. Where I drilled the hole is a straight shot where the stuff drops into the tank. Seems to work great only and no problems with leaking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1531.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	4003   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1532.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	4004  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1533.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	4005  

Old 02-20-2017, 01:03 PM   #2

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Did you ever attempt using a Flush King to back flush and rinse that tank? Just wondering because generally speaking it is another way of forcing water into an enclosed tank for cleaning/rinsing.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 02:20 PM   #3

THOR #5063
From what I've read and videos I've watched the back flush system really only works good if it's a straight shot into the tank. The Ace tank(at least the 30.2)is flat the it drops about 8 to 10 inches down to the drain. I don't think the Flush King would make a difference. It would be cheaper to just dump buckets of water down the toilet. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:15 PM   #4

THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace30.2 View Post
From what I've read and videos I've watched the back flush system really only works good if it's a straight shot into the tank. The Ace tank(at least the 30.2)is flat the it drops about 8 to 10 inches down to the drain. I don't think the Flush King would make a difference. It would be cheaper to just dump buckets of water down the toilet. Thanks for the input.
This is the Flush King I have utilized for years:

Flush King Reverse RV Flush Valve, Boxed - Valterra.com | Valterra.com

It gives you an additional gate valve on the end of your sewer discharge. After dumping your black tank you make sure your gray gate valves are closed, hook up a garden hose to the Flush King and turn it on. It forces water back up through your sewer plumbing into your black tank after closing the gate valve on the end of the Flush King. Simply leave the water on for 3 or 4 minutes, turn it off, and open the Flush King gate valve. It is filling your black tank from the bottom so you will certainly get the "junk" out of there. I only rinse two or three times and the water is coming out perfectly clear.

If you ever get a piece of debris stuck in a black tank gate valve you will wish you had the ability to back flush the system because many times that is the only way to dislodge it and fully close the valve. If your black tank gate valve isn't fully closed and sealed while traveling there will be a surprise waiting for you as you bend down in front of it and remove the cap when setting up camp the next time.

If drilling a hole in the top of your tank works for you then that is another idea and will possibly help someone else. Based on my limited experience a Flush King has been worth the money.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:55 PM   #5
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
I used the 'FLush King' type on my 2000 Infinity... Had a straight line back into the tank. Not sure how well it really worked based on some sample videos - but I had no complaints...

Fast forward to my 2014 Hurricane - which has a 'U' coming down from the black tank (comes out lower side - 90 degrees to vertical down for 8-12 inches - then 90 degrees back under the tank - to the 90 to vertical down to discharge.. Not a chance of getting water back into the tank with any force... I switched to the Tornado rinser - which uses a hole in tank to mount the rinser. Seems to work well so far.

Each unit is different - the wonderful 'it depends' answer.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:32 PM   #6

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Colorado
THOR #3517
Ace 30.2,

Can you show me a wider photo of where you put the hole? I assume it's at the top middle of the tank in the sewage compartment and not on the other side of the coach... We have not yet had an issue with ours but we have not used it much either which doesn't mean we won't encounter the issue this summer and I'd like to be prepared before then. Thanks in advance!

Richard
Old 03-22-2017, 05:36 PM   #7

THOR #5063
I don't have my mh it's been at the shop for almost 2 months getting the slide fixed. I put the hole top left side as far to the left as possible but still able to see in. Also I have the tornado about 4 inches to the right about the same height.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:47 PM   #8

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Colorado
THOR #3517
Thanks! Just got mine back after 6 months so I know your pain...
Old 03-25-2017, 02:27 AM   #9

Brand: Dutchmen
Model: 28BD
State: Ontario
THOR #6886
I have never had a problem that a bag of ice, 3/4 full tank and a 5 mile drive before dumping has not fixed. And I always fill to 3/4 before dumping the black.
Old school but works for me.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:44 PM   #10

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I used to struggle with my Miramar toilet piling up just below the toilet often requiring me to disperse the pile with a stick (yuck) and I struggled with getting it to dump clean. I now start with at least 10 gallons of water (about 25% of the tank capacity) and use ONLY Scott Rapid Dissolve TP (from Walmart). I used to worry that starting with this much water would cause my tank to fill too quickly but we have no issue for 5-7 days...that's the longest we dry camp at one time. I also backflush with the system built into the Miramar after every dump.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:10 AM   #11

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchman28 View Post
I have never had a problem that a bag of ice, 3/4 full tank and a 5 mile drive before dumping has not fixed. And I always fill to 3/4 before dumping the black.
Old school but works for me.
I used to do the ice thing till I watched the YouTube video showing it doesn't work, burst my bubble when I saw it!
Old 03-26-2017, 03:07 AM   #12

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
I have a tornado....Haven't had trouble..... But after reading above and knowing how much I hate the thought of a stuck gate, will consider a flush king. I've seen the mess at a CW(not my unit). Really felt for the surprised tech....
Old 03-26-2017, 10:48 AM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016vegas
I have a tornado....Haven't had trouble..... But after reading above and knowing how much I hate the thought of a stuck gate, will consider a flush king. I've seen the mess at a CW(not my unit). Really felt for the surprised tech....
Been RV'ing for almost 20 years now, never seen a stuck gate valve. Flush King won't do much either:
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:36 AM   #14

THOR #5196
My gate valve wasn't stuck, but it did get blocked from the inside. I had been living full time in my Tuscany for about a year, went out to dump the dump, flow started for about 10 seconds then stopped. I cycled the gate valve numerous time to restart the flow from the black tank, nothing. I could feel resistance when cycling the valve so I knew the gate was moving. Now I am literally thinking "oh crap"!!!

After numerous failed attempts my only option was to remove the valve and deal with about 40 gallons of poop!!! I'm not going to describe the mess, it was big!!! When I finally was able to remove the valve I found a disc of plastic completely covering the valve inlet. At the factory when they drilled out the tank openings one of the pieces was left in the tank, it eventually made its way to the valve and stopped all flow.

I cussed Thor for several days after the incident! Luckily I was at my home campground and not on the road, had more stuff available to deal with the mess.

If I had a flush king I might have been able to clear the blockage temporarily but still would of had to deal with the plastic disc at some point. I wouldn't wish this to happen to anyone!!!
Old 03-26-2017, 02:33 PM   #15

THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
My gate valve wasn't stuck, but it did get blocked from the inside. I had been living full time in my Tuscany for about a year, went out to dump the dump, flow started for about 10 seconds then stopped. I cycled the gate valve numerous time to restart the flow from the black tank, nothing. I could feel resistance when cycling the valve so I knew the gate was moving. Now I am literally thinking "oh crap"!!!

After numerous failed attempts my only option was to remove the valve and deal with about 40 gallons of poop!!! I'm not going to describe the mess, it was big!!! When I finally was able to remove the valve I found a disc of plastic completely covering the valve inlet. At the factory when they drilled out the tank openings one of the pieces was left in the tank, it eventually made its way to the valve and stopped all flow.

I cussed Thor for several days after the incident! Luckily I was at my home campground and not on the road, had more stuff available to deal with the mess.

If I had a flush king I might have been able to clear the blockage temporarily but still would of had to deal with the plastic disc at some point. I wouldn't wish this to happen to anyone!!!
Factory drilling of the outlet holes in these tanks and letting the cut-out piece drop back into the tank is very common. That round piece of plastic may lay in the bottom of the tank for years and never cause a problem, or like has been described above you may have an issue with it.

I am not a plumber but common sense tells me that the best way to dislodge something from my gate valve is to blast water from the outside in, forcing whatever is in the gate valve back into the tank. Using a Flush King plus only putting Scott's RV butt wipe in the tank has kept me trouble free with my sewer systems in 3 different RV's, 3 years of which involved full time traveling.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:13 PM   #16

THOR #5196
I've been RVing for about 35 years, first time for everything! Considering the number of bends I had in the piping and having about 40 gallons of back pressure I'm not sure a flush king would have dislodged the piece of plastic. I tried snaking a stiff coat hanger wire in the pipe, but still to many bends. Oh well, s*** happens, literally in this case!!!
Old 05-23-2017, 01:42 PM   #17

THOR #5063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
I used to struggle with my Miramar toilet piling up just below the toilet often requiring me to disperse the pile with a stick (yuck) and I struggled with getting it to dump clean. I now start with at least 10 gallons of water (about 25% of the tank capacity) and use ONLY Scott Rapid Dissolve TP (from Walmart). I used to worry that starting with this much water would cause my tank to fill too quickly but we have no issue for 5-7 days...that's the longest we dry camp at one time. I also backflush with the system built into the Miramar after every dump.

Well just got back from my first trip so I opened the access spot I made and noticed another big pile of stuff right at the bottom of the drop point. Used a lot of water flushing. Looking in there you would need to fill your black tank at least 3/4 full for it to make a difference (bad design of tank). So it seems I'm going to have to get the hose out and spray down the big pile of stuff. Again we used A LOT of water every time we flushed.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:55 PM   #18

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace30.2 View Post
Well just got back from my first trip so I opened the access spot I made and noticed another big pile of stuff right at the bottom of the drop point. Used a lot of water flushing. Looking in there you would need to fill your black tank at least 3/4 full for it to make a difference (bad design of tank). So it seems I'm going to have to get the hose out and spray down the big pile of stuff. Again we used A LOT of water every time we flushed.
Drilling the access hole and installing the plug was a great idea to allow you to apply water pressure from the hose right to the problem for the fix. Now go the extra step. Remove the plug and install a hose connection with a short pvc 1/2" nozzle on the inside pointing at your problem area. Then next flush just attach your water hose from the outside. Just an idea.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:15 PM   #19

THOR #5063
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
Drilling the access hole and installing the plug was a great idea to allow you to apply water pressure from the hose right to the problem for the fix. Now go the extra step. Remove the plug and install a hose connection with a short pvc 1/2" nozzle on the inside pointing at your problem area. Then next flush just attach your water hose from the outside. Just an idea.
That's a really good idea. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:31 AM   #20

State: Alaska
THOR #7567
Black tank

So it seems that if your toilet dumps into the shallow side of the tank it builds up and plugs. I have taking my 27.2 out three times and it has plugged all three. I have talked to my place where I purchased they said to fill it to 2/3 rds. Why would I want to go camp with a almost full tank. They have sent me to address it with Thor which finally today I got a person that didn't say that I was the only one with the problem. He was aware of it,but because of the design. He told me to pour vegetable oil down the toilet, and try that. So I will give it a whirl. I have never in all of my other rvs ever had this problem. I hope it helps. Or as they say s""" will hit the fan