Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2020, 11:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Thor Aria 3901
State: Illinois
THOR #11051
Thor Aria Surge Protector Cover removal

Has anyone removed the cover from their Thor Aria surge protector? I need to move my surge protector box about 3". My cover has 2 sheet metal screws and 4 pop rivets. I'm guessing I'll have to drill out the pop rivets. Of course I will unplug from shore power and disconnect from both sets of batteries before drilling

Old 03-18-2020, 01:18 AM   #2

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by engrprof View Post
Has anyone removed the cover from their Thor Aria surge protector? I need to move my surge protector box about 3". My cover has 2 sheet metal screws and 4 pop rivets. I'm guessing I'll have to drill out the pop rivets. Of course I will unplug from shore power and disconnect from both sets of batteries before drilling
do you have a picture? before you do so?? is it a surge protector or a transfer switch. What is the name on it?
Old 03-18-2020, 06:27 PM   #3

THOR #11051
Thor Aria Surge Guard cover removal

Hope this pic shows on the post: You should be able to see the 4 pop rivets and 2 screws that hold the cover on the Surge Guard unit. I need to remove the cover plate to remove the 4 screws holding the unit to the back of the basement compartment. I need to move it about 3" up and to the right to make room to install the hand power cord reel shown also in the pic. I bot it for $20 from Harbor Freight. I replaced the long crank handle with a golf ball to save room. Thanks for your advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0253.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	22970  
Old 03-18-2020, 06:57 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Hope this pic shows on the post: You should be able to see the 4 pop rivets and 2 screws that hold the cover on the Surge Guard unit. I need to remove the cover plate to remove the 4 screws holding the unit to the back of the basement compartment. I need to move it about 3" up and to the right to make room to install the hand power cord reel shown also in the pic. I bot it for $20 from Harbor Freight. I replaced the long crank handle with a golf ball to save room. Thanks for your advice.
Thor did not rivet the ATS closed after it was installed. You should be able to get to the mounting bolts without removing the cover.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 07:03 PM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
it' an Auto Transfer Switch, from Surge Guard... the exterior screws should be all you need to remove to 'move' it slightly...
Old 03-18-2020, 07:06 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
https://rvpower.southwire.com/produc...ansfer-switch/

or similar...
Old 03-18-2020, 08:45 PM   #7

THOR #11051
Hey, Thanks TurnerFam for the Surge Guard website. Eyesite bad when bending over to look inside compartment!! After looking at website I see the EXTERNAL tabs to take out screws holding Surge Guard box in place. My Bad!!
Old 03-19-2020, 01:25 AM   #8

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
The product description states indicator lights on front of the unit but I don't see any lights
Old 03-19-2020, 04:21 PM   #9

THOR #11051
Hey Cavie, Look at the pic I posted earlier. Between the 2nd and 3rd rivets at the top of the cover are 2 "holes" about 1/8" dia.(just above the paper label). Those are red LED lights that are both on when the Surge Guard transfer unit is working properly. They also will flash to give a code if something is amiss.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:05 PM   #10

THOR #15553
Quote:
Hey Cavie, Look at the pic I posted earlier. Between the 2nd and 3rd rivets at the top of the cover are 2 "holes" about 1/8" dia.(just above the paper label). Those are red LED lights that are both on when the Surge Guard transfer unit is working properly. They also will flash to give a code if something is amiss.
See said the blind man.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:40 PM   #11

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Only two screws?

Quote:
Hey, Thanks TurnerFam for the Surge Guard website. Eyesite bad when bending over to look inside compartment!! After looking at website I see the EXTERNAL tabs to take out screws holding Surge Guard box in place. My Bad!!
I would say the cover is only held by the two screws, the rivets would have been placed there under the cover, to prevent someone using a looooong screws and possibly shorting a control or wire.
While you are messing with it, once moved, it might be a good idea to "re-torque" the wire connectors inside the box. Torque values are given in the manual if you can get your hands on one. Stranded wire is notorious for loosening (under screw type connectors)when moved. My 2 cents...
Old 03-20-2020, 07:03 PM   #12

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
YES just the two screws, the rivets are not to be removed to remove the cover. its just like mine
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	transfer switch replaced (16).jpg
Views:	81
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	22994   Click image for larger version

Name:	transfer switch replaced (6).jpg
Views:	81
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	22995  

Name:	transfer switch replaced (12).jpg
Views:	103
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	22996  
Old 04-03-2020, 05:25 PM   #13

THOR #11051
Moving Surge Guard box to make room for installing a power cord reel

Remember in my original post I needed to move the Surge Guard box so I could install the Harbor Freight reel I bot (made by Central Pneumatic #63861). I paid $20 for the 100 ft manual air hose reel from Harbor Freight which I then used as a 25 ft 50 amp power cord reel on my Thor Aria (pic 1). Only 1/4" clearance between reel and back/front of the compartment. I replaced the original long handle with a golf ball to leave more compartment space storage. The compartment is 17.5" deep, 19.5" high to power cord and grey conduit going to Surge Guard, and 10" wide to left edge of Surge Guard after I moved SG box. I mounted the reel to the bottom and against the left wall of the compartment. As such the reel measures 17" deep, 18.25" high and 10" wide to the end of the golf ball/nut handle. 1st I had to move the Surge Guard box as far right and up as possible (pic 2). There are 4 bolt tabs on that box, so drilling new holes was necessary. I used wood blocks to support the box in place while drilling new holes. I also removed the RV park/satellite cable from its box and will use the clamp shown on the grey plastic conduit to reattach the white TV cable shown hanging over the left upper corner of the Surge Guard box. The next obstacle was trying to secure the male end of the 50 amp cord in place while winding the cord on the reel (pic 3). I bot a 45 degree brass street elbow, 1/4" male pipe thread 1/4" female pipe thread and then attached a white plastic male 1/4" adapter that I drilled out to 5/16" to slip the ground prong of the male 50 amp plug (pic 4). Pics 5 and 6 show different views of the street elbow and white plastic pieces. When reeling in, the power cord needs to be stretched out perpendicular to the compartment and then bring the plug end back to the reel to attach the plug as shown. To unwind simply pull out on the power cord and unattach the round ground prong from the street elbow. Hope this all makes sense! 🤓I need to mention I saw this Harbor Freight reel idea posted on 2 other forums: Forest River Forum 4/29/13 by GMC4x42011 and RV.net 6/12/17 by jjj and he thanked Dan Henry for the idea.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0266.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	23138   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0268.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	23139  

Name:	IMG_0267.jpg