Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2015, 01:11 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
THOR #2050
Thor axis 24.1 2016

Looking for clear direction for fresh water valve positions for winterizing and de winterizing. Anyone have clear pictures labeled for valve applications with their position including? Thank you

Old 06-05-2015, 01:35 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
FW28z had some nice diagrams--I'm sure he'll come along and post them.

Its pretty easy if you put your mind to them. There are 3 valves connected to the water heater: One each on the input/output lines and a cross-over valve. When in use you want the cross-over valve closed and the input/output valves open. In "winter" mode its the opposite: cross-over open, input/output closed.

The only other valve involved in winterizing is the feed from the fresh water tank. Open in summer and closed when you want to feed anti-freeze into the system.

The remaining valves: low point drain (2, hot & cold), and the tank drain I leave closed all the time--only opening the tank drain to, um, drain the tank. The low point drains I crack for a second when the system is pressurized with anti-freeze during the winterization procedure. I also crack the two input/output valves to the water heater during winterization to get some antifreeze in the short stub lines to the water heater on the other side of the valves.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:46 PM   #3

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
Don't have pictures, but it's pretty easy once you get used to clawing your way around the guts of your coach!

The quarter-turn valves are nice. In-line with the piping is open. 90 degrees to the piping is closed. Now, as for where the right valves are, that's another story!

In our 2014 24.1

There are three on the back of the water-heater. Access is had by removing the louvered panel under the closet. Replace the 2-inch screws holding the louver with 3/4" while you're in there to keep your water pipes and heater tubes puncture-free.

To winterize: close the inlet and outlet valves (top and bottom of the WH) and open the bypass valve. It's the one that connects the inlet and outlet pipes. Reverse for use.

Under the curb-side bed near the water tank - there are two more. One that connects the anti-freeze inlet tube. Open to suck anti-freeze into the pump. Closed for normal use.

And a fourth that was really hard to see in ours, cause it was hidden under heater tubes. It's on the tank outlet tube. Close it to winterize or the antifreeze draw tube won't... Open for normal use.

Have fun.

Randy
Old 06-06-2015, 12:27 AM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #1749
Here is some pictures I got from Thor for my 2015 Axis

Axis Vegas shut off valves.pdf

I hope I did it right this time
Old 09-21-2015, 11:10 PM   #5

THOR #2050
Where is the input for the anti freeze feed to the water pump?
Old 09-22-2015, 12:42 AM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #1123
It's the vertical pipe with a cap on the end near the fresh water pump.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:52 PM   #7

State: Tennessee
THOR #4234
Winterizing 2017 Thor Axis 24.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerv View Post
Here is some pictures I got from Thor for my 2015 Axis

Attachment 496

I hope I did it right this time
I sort of know the valves for winterizing but really don't. I've attached my setup and have not turned any valves for winterizing. Please take a look at pic and let me know what I need to do. I labeled with numbers.
1 & 2-- i need to turn valve to open and drain water for low point, then close
3--Do I also need to open #3 and let it drain somewhere, or what is that one?
4--Is this the one to allow antifreeze to be pumped by the water pump through system and needs to be open when i attach antifreeze to the #5 thingie in the drawing with a see through hose attachment and antifreeze at the other end?
I'm awaiting replies before I screw this up.
The water heater is all taken care of. I could clearly understand and had done so with three other tag alongs. thanks very much for any and all help. I'm almost there, I think.

~debbie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fresh water tank under bed.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	3376  
Old 11-16-2016, 09:40 PM   #8

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Genef: Here is a copy of the Thor Vegas/Axis manual I compiled. There is a winterizing checklist with pictures in the manual.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:43 PM   #9

THOR #2601
Sorry: file to big to attach. Go to this link and you can download the manual.

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP6UNyy_VYGDO0BW6L
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 11-16-2016, 10:49 PM   #10

THOR #4234
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Genef: Here is a copy of the Thor Vegas/Axis manual I compiled. There is a winterizing checklist with pictures in the manual.
thanks very much! I had downloaded your fantastic manual back in May when we first bought the Axis. On that page for winterization, you say, "Open the drain valve for the fresh water tank (Figure 6, Valve #1, under passenger bed) and close the feed valve (Valve #4, so the water pump doesn't draw water from the tank). These valves are right next to each other right where the waterlines leave the tank. You can tell the feed valve because it’s hooked to the pipe going to the water pump. The fresh water tank drain valve is the one with the right-angle fitting that goes through the floor."
I think my feed valve in the picture above is #4?--the same as your #4? I don't think I have water in my fresh water tank. I opened the low point valves. Does the Drain valve pour water out of the fresh tank on the underside of the Axis? Is there a purpose to opening it?
I'll complete all of this tomorrow.
thank you for your help.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:10 PM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Looks to me like your #3 is the tank drain, and #4 is the feed to the pump. Just follow the lines, or take a clearer picture over by 3 & 4.

If the pipe connected to #4 goes to the pump (via a T to the anitfreeze pipe) then, yes, that is the tank to pump on/off valve.

So when you're ready to pump antifreeze in the system you want to close #4 (turn it so the long part is perpendicular to the pipe).

Unfortunately my pics aren't that clear here either: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...ific-2448.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 12:42 AM   #12

THOR #2601
Agree with Jamie -- #3 is tank drain and #4 is on the line that feeds water out of the tank and into the pump and the cold water plumbing. I can't tell from the picture about 1 & 2 -- but just look at what color line they go to -- blue is cold, red is hot. And they should both go right out the bottom to drain onto the ground. All that gray insulation you see is the expandable foam to seal the hole going through the floor to the outside.

I mentioned opening the fresh water tank drain just to make sure the tank is as empty as possible.

And don't forget, the way to drain the 6 gallons out the hot water tank is to take that large Teflon plug off the hot water tank to drain it (unless you have the on demand propane water heater.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 11-17-2016, 12:46 AM   #13

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Your manual was GREAT in assisting us on our first winterizing our 25.2. Even though things are a ",little" different from your 24.1,it wasn't hard to translate.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:01 PM   #14

THOR #4234
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
If the pipe connected to #4 goes to the pump (via a T to the anitfreeze pipe) then, yes, that is the tank to pump on/off valve.

So when you're ready to pump antifreeze in the system you want to close #4 (turn it so the long part is perpendicular to the pipe).
Unfortunately my pics aren't that clear here either: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...ific-2448.html

Thanks Jamie, and Ed (bevedfelker)! I now feel much more comfortable with what is what and how to turn off, even though the "Ed manual" is quite clear. I can now label for myself, and also know that perpendicular is what I need on #4 to keep the antifreeze from flowing into the fresh water tank.
Now a Lowes trip for an end fitting to my clear plastic hose I found hanging out in my garage.
I've learned to be more mechanical in the last five years but still need assistance with the smaller stuff, and won't even tackle larger projects!
Old 04-10-2017, 10:34 PM   #15

State: Idaho
THOR #6809
Fresh Water Tank Drain Valve Can be a PIA, but.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
FW28z had some nice diagrams--I'm sure he'll come along and post them.

Its pretty easy if you put your mind to them. There are 3 valves connected to the water heater: One each on the input/output lines and a cross-over valve. When in use you want the cross-over valve closed and the input/output valves open. In "winter" mode its the opposite: cross-over open, input/output closed.

The only other valve involved in winterizing is the feed from the fresh water tank. Open in summer and closed when you want to feed anti-freeze into the system.

The remaining valves: low point drain (2, hot & cold), and the tank drain I leave closed all the time--only opening the tank drain to, um, drain the tank. The low point drains I crack for a second when the system is pressurized with anti-freeze during the winterization procedure. I also crack the two input/output valves to the water heater during winterization to get some antifreeze in the short stub lines to the water heater on the other side of the valves.
....it depends on the Vegas floor plan. I remember someone mentioned that to access the fresh w/tank drain valve, the large exterior rear compartment had to be emptied and the large wood panel removed loosening four screws. However, if your floor plan has the kitchen, instead of a bedroom, in the rear of the coach, open and remove the third kitchen drawer below the kitchen sink. Reach inside towards the rear of the coach and you'll feel the drain valve. Saves a ton of work.