Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2018, 02:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: axis 25.1
State: Indiana
THOR #5637
Thor axis ride

I have 2015 thor axis and i feel ride is horrible-when hit bump in road or bridge connection feels like coach is falling apart-added sumo springs but actually think made it worse but did help wandering-will shocks help this problem and should i go with koni or bilstein
Thanks

Old 11-23-2018, 02:33 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Brand is personal preference. "Ford Chevy Dodge" I did just have my shocks changed. The shop said stock shocks were no comparison for what I put on. I have not had a chance to test out yet. He said they do mostly Bilstein. I did supply my own shocks and they installed them..
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 02:49 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
What he said.....I have not replaced my shocks yet (only have 5000 miles on my Axis) but I thinking of replacing them next year since the factory puts cheapest parts they can on the chassis.

Another member posted great results with new shocks (and only a few K's on his ride). Just pick the one that fits your Axis and that you like best. I have had good luck with Bilstiens in the past.

Also consider HD front sway bar and Saftey Plus steering stabilizer. It did wonders on the handling of my Axis.

It would not hurt to put some sound / heat insulation (Might help with the "Falling apart" if you have excessive noise - just a thought - also go around and tighten/zip tie everything you can).

Plus IMO try the FRONT sway bars since the sumos tend to stiffen up the ride and make it worse (limits travel).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 03:19 PM   #4

Model: axis 25.1
THOR #5637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
What he said.....I have not replaced my shocks yet (only have 5000 miles on my Axis) but I thinking of replacing them next year since the factory puts cheapest parts they can on the chassis.

Another member posted great results with new shocks (and only a few K's on his ride). Just pick the one that fits your Axis and that you like best. I have had good luck with Bilstiens in the past.

Also consider HD front sway bar and Saftey Plus steering stabilizer. It did wonders on the handling of my Axis.

It would not hurt to put some sound / heat insulation (Might help with the "Falling apart" if you have excessive noise - just a thought - also go around and tighten/zip tie everything you can).

Plus IMO try the FRONT sway bars since the sumos tend to stiffen up the ride and make it worse (limits travel).
I do have safe t plus but not hd sway bar-should i add along with sumo i have already
Old 11-23-2018, 04:09 PM   #5

State: Florida
THOR #1249
I replaced the rear shocks a year or so ago with large magnums that required the exhaust be moved slightly to make room. I think it made an improvement in the ride and overall in handling. I installed Hellwig HD sway bars front and rear and that helped also.
I had the same results as you with the sumo (not so smooth) springs. I removed them. HD sway bars are the smoother way to tame the roll.
Old 11-23-2018, 04:28 PM   #6

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Definately!

Replace your shocks. You'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner. And get the alignment done. Ditto the swaybars. I drove the Pacific Coast Highway last month, OR and CA, and I loved it. Not a Jaguar but not white knuckled either.

Need more convincing? http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...-x5-15051.html
-oops, you did. <grin>
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 06:21 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
THOR #12231
Do you think it would improve the ride if I just replace the front shocks on my Axis? The front coil springs are much softer than the rear leaf springs so I figured they have more movement.

I like the way mine rides now overall (with OEM shocks) but I noticed on like overpasses/bridges it bobs slightly in the front. Not bad but I think new shocks will help. On my other car I replaced with Bilsteins front and rear and it removed this same feeling on the overpasses.

Plus I dont want to reroute exhaust on my RV.... but perhaps the Bilsteins are 100 bolt on on the rear?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:02 PM   #8

THOR #1249
Not sure if the exhaust on the 25.2 is the same as the 24.1. You may not have to relocate the exhaust on yours. Maybe someone who has replaced shocks on the 25.2 could chime in on this.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:01 PM   #9

Model: ACE 29.2
State: New Hampshire
THOR #5447
Koni"s did the trick for me

ACE 29.2, i replaced the stock Blistins with KONI's - the truck shop thought i was crazy --- what a huge improvement - really improved the ride
Old 11-24-2018, 12:25 AM   #10

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
First, before you spend any $$$, do the alignment. Front sumo springs and Koni shocks all around were all worth the money for me. Like someone said, what you bought was a RV kit. Some assembly required!
Old 10-30-2020, 10:42 PM   #11

Model: 2021 ACE 30.4 w/V-8
State: Texas
THOR #18934
Handling improvement on 2019 Axis 25.6

I have a 2019 Axis 25.6 (E-450 Ford chassis). Most of the owners of older Axis models claim miraculous handling improvements by adding:
1. Steering Stabilizer (my 2019 comes with one)
2. Sway Bars
3. upgraded Shocks

My question is this: have some of the above improvements ALREADY been Factory built in to my 2019?

All thoughts valued. Thanks you guys. EddieA

PS. Some owners have recommended an alignment --- do they mean the factory spec?
Old 10-30-2020, 10:48 PM   #12
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieA View Post
I have a 2019 Axis 25.6 (E-450 Ford chassis). Most of the owners of older Axis models claim miraculous handling improvements by adding:
1. Steering Stabilizer (my 2019 comes with one)
2. Sway Bars
3. upgraded Shocks

My question is this: have some of the above improvements ALREADY been Factory built in to my 2019?

All thoughts valued. Thanks you guys. EddieA

PS. Some owners have recommended an alignment --- do they mean the factory spec?
Sorry, your steering dampener is not a steering stabilizer.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 04:50 PM   #13

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
I do not believe there were any chassis changes until 2021. You have a steering damper, not a stabilizer. The former is just a small shock absorber, he latter adds a stout spring that helps keep the steering centered. Look at the Roadmaster Reflex to see the difference. The Safe T Plus has a similar spring but it is inside the housing. Either will work fine and makes a sizable difference. Many folks replace the roll bars with a thicker ones but I personally think simply adjusting the front and rear factory bars to the firmer settings (called the CHF) is just as effective and certainly easier and cheaper. I have never heard of anyone who has made that adjustments and later replaced the bars say it was worth it. You already have Bilstien shocks and while some people report vast improvements in ride comfort by replacing them I’m (personally) skeptical. The suspension is likely near it’s limit so the ride always is going to be pretty hard. But I’ve never tried it so certainly could be wrong. When I had my E450 based Class C I just did the CHF on both ends and added a steering stabilizer and after a few thousand miles of getting used to its truck-like nature I was perfectly happy. Same changes and satisfaction on my current F53 class A. Many folks don’t make any changes at all and never have any problems. Good luck.
Old 11-07-2020, 12:29 AM   #14

THOR #18934
[QUOTE=Long & Winding road;155149] What he said.....

Also consider HD front sway bar and Saftey Plus steering stabilizer. It did wonders on the handling of my Axis. ......
[/I][/I]
__________________________________________________ _________

Hi. EddieA here: Which EXACT model Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer did you use? Any reason it wouldn't be the same for my 2019 Axis 25.6? Thanks for all responses.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:34 AM   #15

Model: Vegas 25.5 / Keystone Mon
THOR #20441
2019 Vegas 25.5

Same E450 chassis and drivetrain. We had some pretty good "passing truck" movement on the freeway. Alignment was good from the factory. We can let go of the wheel at freeway speed and little drift or wander-tracks pretty straight.

To tighten things up here is what we did and pretty satisfied. The "passing truck" effect has drastically decreased and much more stable at freeway speeds.

-Sumo Springs (front)
-Hellwig Sway Bar (rear)
-Air Pressure (near max 65/70psi)
Old 11-07-2020, 11:38 AM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I do not believe there were any chassis changes until 2021. You have a steering damper, not a stabilizer. The former is just a small shock absorber, he latter adds a stout spring that helps keep the steering centered. Look at the Roadmaster Reflex to see the difference. The Safe T Plus has a similar spring but it is inside the housing. Either will work fine and makes a sizable difference. Many folks replace the roll bars with a thicker ones but I personally think simply adjusting the front and rear factory bars to the firmer settings (called the CHF) is just as effective and certainly easier and cheaper. I have never heard of anyone who has made that adjustments and later replaced the bars say it was worth it. You already have Bilstien shocks and while some people report vast improvements in ride comfort by replacing them I’m (personally) skeptical. The suspension is likely near it’s limit so the ride always is going to be pretty hard. But I’ve never tried it so certainly could be wrong. When I had my E450 based Class C I just did the CHF on both ends and added a steering stabilizer and after a few thousand miles of getting used to its truck-like nature I was perfectly happy. Same changes and satisfaction on my current F53 class A. Many folks don’t make any changes at all and never have any problems. Good luck.
CHF only works on the F-53 chassis and not the E-Series the Axis/Vegas units are riding on.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 12:54 PM   #17

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
CHF only works on the F-53 chassis and not the E-Series the Axis/Vegas units are riding on.
That’s what I thought as well.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:48 PM   #18

THOR #18934
2019 Vegas 25.5 #20441
... E450 chassis and drivetrain.

-Sumo Springs (front)
-Hellwig Sway Bar (rear)
AIR Pressure (near max 65/70psi)

__________________________________________________ _______
EddieA here with 2019 Axis 25.6 info: both labels on the inside of my coach say tire pressure cold = 75 Front, 80 Rear. I know most all of you already know this, but I want to point out that the RECOMMENDED tire pressure for the E450 2019 Axis 25.6
is 75 Fr/80 Rear; the pressure shown by previous post above is probably personal preference.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:43 PM   #19

Model: Vegas 25.5 / Keystone Mon
THOR #20441
Correct. My personal preference. Noted "near max" on air pressure.

Different opinions and experiences. I run a few PSI less than sticker says. No tow vehicle, no real extra weight as the Vegas has little storage space, drive with tanks empty and try to keep around the 55-60mph for "better" fuel economy with the 6.8l.

Under inflated = issues.

Over inflated = issues.