Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2018, 10:35 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #14056
F53 Brake Noise when brakes are warm

Ok team, looking for your thoughts. 2017 Thor 34J (36 foot long), 5,000 miles, 22,000 GVWR. When the rotors are cool no noise when applying the brakes. However, once you drive for a bit and the front rotors get warm they squeal a moderate amount. CW says warranty won't cover and the shop they farmed out the warranty work to say the rotors are a bit glazed. I do not ride the brakes at all so I can't see it being driving style.

Anyone else have this issue? Recommended fixes? Turn the rotors and replace the pads and ensure the caliper brackets are well greased? Just hate to spend ~$500 on a brake job for a new unit but I don't want to mess around with the brakes.

Thanks and you guys are awesome.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:43 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Brake squeal is caused by vibration, generally of the pads. The fact that you have no squeal when cool but as things heat up and clearances increase the squeal arises tells me your pads may not have had the tension springs installed properly on the back of the pads. Take it to a good mechanic and have him apply anti-squeal compound to the back of the pads after he checks it out and reassembles it.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:46 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Yes what Tfryman says.

I would do it myself if it was my RV and sand the rotor down on both sides of each rotor (while on the RV). Plus flush with a ton of brake cleaner on the rotor and pads. Wouldnt hurt to sand the pad material lightly as well.

Make sure you use anti squeal gel on the backs of all the pads before reinstalling. Not a hard job - just takes some time.

Hopefully that will help.

Check out Youtube for videos for ANY car/ truck doing this very thing.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:50 PM   #4

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLBeerbower View Post
Ok team, looking for your thoughts. 2017 Thor 34J (36 foot long), 5,000 miles, 22,000 GVWR. When the rotors are cool no noise when applying the brakes. However, once you drive for a bit and the front rotors get warm they squeal a moderate amount. CW says warranty won't cover and the shop they farmed out the warranty work to say the rotors are a bit glazed. I do not ride the brakes at all so I can't see it being driving style.

Anyone else have this issue? Recommended fixes? Turn the rotors and replace the pads and ensure the caliper brackets are well greased? Just hate to spend ~$500 on a brake job for a new unit but I don't want to mess around with the brakes.

Was the shop CW farmed out the work to a Ford Dealer? If not I would be taking it to Ford. Ford had a recall a few years ago that involved some brake calipers. You might also try calling Ford directly, I have had good luck with them when CW was giving us the run around. Good luck.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:34 AM   #5

THOR #14056
No it was not a ford dealer. Thanks for the news on the recall. Any idea on how I would find out if my chassis is affected?
Old 12-29-2018, 02:32 AM   #6

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Yes what Tfryman says.

I would do it myself if it was my RV and sand the rotor down on both sides of each rotor (while on the RV). Plus flush with a ton of brake cleaner on the rotor and pads. Wouldnt hurt to sand the pad material lightly as well.

Make sure you use anti squeal gel on the backs of all the pads before reinstalling. Not a hard job - just takes some time.

Hopefully that will help.

Check out Youtube for videos for ANY car/ truck doing this very thing.
I, myself, would do it on ours.
You do need the tools to get it done, and a cement drive surely helps out too.
Then, you need heavy duty jack stands and a 3T jack, hopefully you are mechanically inclined.
After all that, you still need to man handle the tire's out of the way.
All this vs paying a shop to do so.
If you use the leveling system to lift it up, still use jack stands, or crib up some 4x4s & 6x6s to be safe.
Good luck.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:43 AM   #7

THOR #989
I would call Ford with your VIN, they should be able to tell you. The Ford factory warranty is 3yrs, 36000 miles I believe, but brakes are always a question but it won't hurt to check with them. Your low mileage may be in your favor. Good luck.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:34 PM   #8

THOR #12231
Was "Jack and Diane" your favorite song??... just change "Jack" to "John". LOL.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 12-30-2018, 12:00 AM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLBeerbower View Post

My coach does this too. I know it doesn’t affect actual braking performance so I just ignore it! Figure it might also help people know I’m there and stopping. Like an audible brake light. It’s all good....
Old 12-30-2018, 02:12 AM   #10

THOR #14056
That’s pretty funny my friend.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:28 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
If you don't have the tools and knowledge to do a brake job, take your rig to a Ford dealer. I would never let camping world or one of their subs do any work that should be done by a qualified technician.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 03:37 AM   #12

THOR #989
As a matter of fact it is one of our favorites. We love most Oldies.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:11 PM   #13

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by John & Diane View Post
As a matter of fact it is one of our favorites. We love most Oldies.
"Oldies"? Heck thats not old. LOL.

To me Oldies is what my parents use to listen to (30's - 50's). LOL.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:30 PM   #14

THOR #989
I like your thinking! DW is always telling to act my age but I try to show her I can still do what I've always done. The day after we've had this conversation my body usually proves her right, but I try not to let her know she was right. No plans to slow down yet!