Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2023, 06:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: FE22
State: Oregon
THOR #29183
fe22 range vent

We have a 2018 fe22 and are trying to install a ventilation fan in the kitchen as there is no range vent fan and dw really doesn't like the sound of the smoke alarm.According to the electrical diagram, there is a 12v line, but controlled by a light switch near the door. Is there a way to tie the fan in anywhere close by? Not big on snaking through walls and ceiling.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. 🍺🍺🍺🍪🍪🍪

Old 09-09-2023, 06:57 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Soup View Post
We have a 2018 fe22 and are trying to install a ventilation fan in the kitchen as there is no range vent fan and dw really doesn't like the sound of the smoke alarm.According to the electrical diagram, there is a 12v line, but controlled by a light switch near the door. Is there a way to tie the fan in anywhere close by? Not big on snaking through walls and ceiling.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. 🍺🍺🍺🍪🍪🍪
Where are you installing the vent? Are you cutting a hole thru the side of the coach?
Old 09-09-2023, 07:01 PM   #3

THOR #29183
No. Just replacing the basic vent with a fan vent.
Old 09-09-2023, 07:24 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Isn't the door right next to the kitchen?
The fan will also have its own ON/OFF and speed control switches.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 07:46 PM   #5

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
Quote:
Any help would be greatly appreciated. ������������
If you are talking about adding a fan to the roof vent, then take the interior trim down, and look for the wires.
I have a Four winds 22e very similar to yours.
The wire is not connected to a switch so you will have to add your own 12v switch, the interior trim has a plastic knockout for the switch.
Old 09-09-2023, 07:55 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Tell the wife to quit using the smoke alarm as a cooking timer.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 08:45 PM   #7
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Tell the wife to quit using the smoke alarm as a cooking timer.
Old 09-09-2023, 10:00 PM   #8

THOR #29183
16ACE27,

There is no fan in the vent. I will check for wires again. Did not find them the first time.
Thanks all!!
Old 09-10-2023, 12:19 AM   #9
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
16ACE27,

There is no fan in the vent. I will check for wires again. Did not find them the first time.
Thanks all!!
I was talking about your new vent with fan.
Old 09-10-2023, 01:54 AM   #10

THOR #12119
Quote:
16ACE27,

Thanks all!!
You dont need to replace the vent, you can add a fan to the current vent.

https://www.amazon.com/D-Shaft-Templ...66003489&psc=1

My motorhome layout is similar to yours but the bed and bathroom is reversed. But I can't remember if I snaked the wire from my bedroom vent to the kitchen vent or if I snaked the wire from the kitchen to the bed vent. I'll try to check Monday, to see. Both of my vents are in alignment front to back, so it was easy to snake a wire through.

There wasnt a dedicated wire, I pigtailed the power off a wire that was passing nearby the vent.
Old 09-10-2023, 02:41 AM   #11
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry899 View Post
You dont need to replace the vent, you can add a fan to the current vent.

https://www.amazon.com/D-Shaft-Templ...66003489&psc=1

My motorhome layout is similar to yours but the bed and bathroom is reversed. But I can't remember if I snaked the wire from my bedroom vent to the kitchen vent or if I snaked the wire from the kitchen to the bed vent. I'll try to check Monday, to see. Both of my vents are in alignment front to back, so it was easy to snake a wire through.

There wasnt a dedicated wire, I pigtailed the power off a wire that was passing nearby the vent.
Not worth the effort to install one of those OEM bathroom vent fans.
Old 09-10-2023, 05:18 AM   #12

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Our 24F has a very similar floorplan to yours. We have 4 ceiling vents... bunk over (in front), kitchen area, bedroom and bathroom.

All had the cheap fans except the front bunk one, which has no fan. However, there's wiring there, so it's likely your kitchen vent is also pre-wired.

Remove the 4 screws holding the shroud... I'm betting wires are tucked up in beside the vent. It's cheaper for Thor to pre-wire... and it makes it easy for dealer installs. A complete fan install is about a 3 out of 10 for difficulty...

We had the exact same issue with cooking... the smoke alarm is just inside the door, and the kitchen fan was so weak it wouldn't clear anything - DON'T BUT A CHEAP FAN... it probably won't work!

Although expensive at $300, I replaced the kitchen and bedroom fans with MaxxAir Deluxe fans. I've had the smoke detector go off twice on our current trip. The fan on 70% speed cleared the air in less than 15 seconds. I now just turn it on about 50% before cooking... no more alarms.

These fans move MASSIVE amounts of air and are FAR quieter than the cheap ones Thor installed. We run the bedroom fan all night and it's practically silent.
Old 09-16-2023, 06:55 PM   #13

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: California
THOR #27561
I have a 2022 22E and it has a fan over the kitchen (typical cheap fan) and it is wired to a switch at the door. My wife is too short to reach the switch at the fan so she uses the switch at the door (both have to be on). There is a 12V light nearby so if your vent opening is pre-wired for a fan then I would tap off the adjacent light.

Earlier 22E models had a vent that went through the wall. I parked next to a 2015 or so 22E in a Walmart parking lot at Lake Powell and I noticed it. The owner told me that the vent leaked and ruined the side panel and caused a lot of damage. So I guess there is an advantage to not having a real kitchen vent. The fan in the kitchen hood just blows it back into the room.
Old 09-16-2023, 10:49 PM   #14

Model: Daybreak 22GOC
State: Kansas
THOR #18675
1. I bought an 18x12 piece of 1/4 in plexaglas. Then trimmed it to shape of window behind stove and sink. It is held in place by velcro attacjed to the sliding screen.
2. I used a hole saw to mount a 12v computer fan on the plexaglas. The fan is set to exhaust air/smoke/vapor from cooking.
JimC
Old 09-17-2023, 01:35 AM   #15

THOR #12119
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
1. I bought an 18x12 piece of 1/4 in plexaglas. Then trimmed it to shape of window behind stove and sink. It is held in place by velcro attacjed to the sliding screen.
2. I used a hole saw to mount a 12v computer fan on the plexaglas. The fan is set to exhaust air/smoke/vapor from cooking.
JimC
I added a clear one of those computer fans in my ceiling vent, They use very little power and are quiet.
They are not as powerful as a Maxxair fan.
The question is how often is it necessary to run the fan. My wife cooks all the time and we don't need to run the fan frequently.
I could find better use for my time and money then installing a Maxxair fan that is not necessary. Though everybody has different needs, decide for yourself.

If the smoke alarm is the issue then move it to a location further from the stove.
We use our flip up shelf for a toaster and the alarm would always go off.
We moved the alarm and no issues now.