Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2017, 06:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Best Hurricane Mod Yet!

I recently upgraded the two speakers over the cab and added a 10” JL Audio subwoofer in a narrow cabinet that sits next to the driver seat just below the mirror and leveler controls with a Kicker Amp mounted under the dinette seat. Audio supplied by a FiiO X3 Mark III High Res music player playing CD’s ripped to lossless FLAC file format (radio works great now too). Hands down the best money spent so far.
Now I can listen to whatever I feel like listening to, be it Bible study, gospel, rock and roll, country or blues and can turn it up until I no longer hear the rattles, squeaks, engine or road noise. Not sure my wife feels the same, but then she doesn’t have to listen to me complain.
Seriously, the Aaxera radio has a dedicated output for the subwoofer and actually sounds pretty good when paired with reasonable speakers and amplifier for the subwoofer. The amplifier is hardwired into the 12 volt house system that is off when the coach is in store mode.

brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:03 PM   #2

Model: 2018 Windsport 34J
State: Washington
THOR #9055
Nice, I'm planning my system at the moment. Post some pictures if you can, I'm interested in what you've done.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:09 AM   #3

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
What speakers did you go with?
Old 09-27-2017, 07:32 PM   #4

THOR #2544
Enclosed are the following pics of the installation in my 2015 Hurricane 27K. #1 is the JL Audio 10” subwoofer and narrow enclosure mounted just below the cup holder and leveler controls next to the driver’s seat. Note that you can see the cable on the left to the power amp and the cable on the right goes up to the dash and radio. #2 and #3 are of the Kicker power amp mounted under the dinette seat. Note the power and ground cable to the left (toward the rear) of the amplifier that goes to the other dinette seat where you can obtain a solid ground and switched (store/use switch) house power and the cables on the right of the amplifier that go to the subwoofer/dash. #4 is a photo of the Pioneer speakers under the cabinet on top of the dinette and the two overhead speakers above the cockpit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JL Audio Sub.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	7153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kicker 1.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	7154  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Licker 2.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	7155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pioneer.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	7156  

Old 09-27-2017, 07:37 PM   #5

THOR #2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterrrr View Post
What speakers did you go with?
I went with the JL Audio 10" woofer because it had a grill to protect the speaker. The 6" speakers are Pioneer, chosen because they were $50 a pair and I bought 4 of them to replace the 2 under the cabinet and 2 above the driver and passenger seats. You can save a lot if you buy online and install yourself.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:06 PM   #6

Model: 2018 Windsport 34J
State: Washington
THOR #9055
Nice work !!!!
Old 09-28-2017, 02:38 AM   #7

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
Great Job.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:13 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 34j
THOR #20207
Best Hurricane Mod Yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
Enclosed are the following pics of the installation in my 2015 Hurricane 27K. #1 is the JL Audio 10” subwoofer and narrow enclosure mounted just below the cup holder and leveler controls next to the driver’s seat. Note that you can see the cable on the left to the power amp and the cable on the right goes up to the dash and radio. #2 and #3 are of the Kicker power amp mounted under the dinette seat. Note the power and ground cable to the left (toward the rear) of the amplifier that goes to the other dinette seat where you can obtain a solid ground and switched (store/use switch) house power and the cables on the right of the amplifier that go to the subwoofer/dash. #4 is a photo of the Pioneer speakers under the cabinet on top of the dinette and the two overhead speakers above the cockpit.
Hey Bruce,

I am trying to hook up an amp for my outdoor entertainment. How would I go about tapping into the store/use switch for power? and accessory? THanks!
Old 09-17-2020, 07:14 PM   #9

THOR #20207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauzers View Post
Hey Bruce,

I am trying to hook up an amp for my outdoor entertainment. How would I go about tapping into the store/use switch for power? and accessory? THanks!
Hey Bruce,

I am trying to hook up an amp for my outdoor entertainment. How would I go about tapping into the store/use switch for power? and accessory? Thanks!
Old 09-17-2020, 07:23 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
This is a pretty old thread (almost 3 years!): he may not be watching...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:39 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Hey Bruce,

You wouldn't. The STORE/USE switch is a simple low current DC switch that controls a latching relay elsewhere in the coach.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:11 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Hey Bruce,

I am trying to hook up an amp for my outdoor entertainment. How would I go about tapping into the store/use switch for power? and accessory? Thanks!
The Use/Store switch is a momentary switch with 14 AWG wires (18 AWG wire is rared for a max of 10 amps). The power for high power amp (25 watts RMS or more) should come directly from the batteries through the correct fuse and switch at the batteries. If you amp is rated at 35 watts peak or less the the power can come directly from your coach's power center from one of the unused fuses. 30 amps @12 volts is 360 watts of input power. That enough to power 2 channels with an output of 22 watts RMS per channel at 4 ohms. Even the Jensen head unit in my bedroom rated at 22 peak watts @ 4 ohms has a 15 amp fuse in the power center.
The facts and estimations came from the Kicker site because that what I prefer on car audio equipment
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:34 PM   #13

THOR #2544
Chauzers,

I probably wasn't clear on the store/use switch in my original post. Rather, I tied it into the relay that makes the clicking sound when you switch from store to use. On my 27K Hurricane it is located under the short dinette seat just behind the fuse and breaker panel. It looks like the starter relay on a car and is bolted to the floor on mine with unswitched power on one post and switched on the other. I used a volt meter to check and see which poll was powered depending on the actual Store/Use switch position.

Good luck, let me know if you need more info. I am no electrician but my Dad was an electrical engineer and I picked up a few things along the way. There is probably someone on here that can offer better advice than me.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:54 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Chauzers,

I probably wasn't clear on the store/use switch in my original post. Rather, I tied it into the relay that makes the clicking sound when you switch from store to use. On my 27K Hurricane it is located under the short dinette seat just behind the fuse and breaker panel. It looks like the starter relay on a car and is bolted to the floor on mine with unswitched power on one post and switched on the other. I used a volt meter to check and see which poll was powered depending on the actual Store/Use switch position.

Good luck, let me know if you need more info. I am no electrician but my Dad was an electrical engineer and I picked up a few things along the way. There is probably someone on here that can offer better advice than me.
This is the infamous latching relay that connects the house battery to the power center 12 volt fuses. One side is continually hot from the batteries through a 50 amp circuit breaker in the battery compartment. The other side is hot when ever the shore power or generator is on or the use/store switch is in use. The relay is capable of 50 amps @ 18 volts continuous. It can be heavily loaded if the house batteries are low and the charger is in bulk mode. That is why it has an 8 awg cable attached.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:00 PM   #15

THOR #20207
Thank you everyone for replying so quickly. I really appreciate it.

I am trying to install a Furrion soundbar (4 x 10 watts) below the outdoor TV and run powered Aquatic AV subwoofer (288 watts max; 144 x 2) that has a built-in amp that can power up to 4 speaker outputs. I disconnected zone B from the master bedroom stereo and replaced the 2 Jensen outdoor speakers with a set of kicker speakers that will be connected to the Aquatic AV subwoofer output (can be connected up to 4 speakers, but will only be using 2). I am in the process of cutting out the hole below the TV. I have not gotten around to do the wiring yet. Any suggestions on how to wire the furrion soundbar and the Aquatic AV subwoofer? Please advise. Any help would be appreciate it.

Old 09-15-2023, 08:42 PM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
State: Kansas
THOR #30810
Quote:
Is there a way you could hide those in some furniture in the RV? If so where?
Old 09-15-2023, 09:05 PM   #18

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Wear safety glasses...that bass combined with all those loose screws and nails could put your eyes out.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote