Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2021, 01:06 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #24339
50 amp shore cord. 30 amp single 120v on main.

Hi I have a 96 damon intruder on a freightliner Chasis. It's been hot and tommoroww will be 105. Our rear ac works on and off, blower motor maybe. Front hasn't been doing anything but clickking which brings me here.

Trying to confirm power to ac but my main electrical breaker box only has 1 (30amp) main that controls all the electrical besides the front AC. It seems only one side off the 50a service plug goes to this electrical box, the other half seems to only run the front rooms ac, I know it comes in At the ATS between generator and 50amp shore. Where could it stop on the way to the ac if not the electrical main panel that only has one main?

Very confused here... I have a good bit of electrical background but can't seem to wrap my head around this. Thanks hope to get the ac on before three days of heat.

Extra info :

7000w kohler propane Gen, goes into ATS along with the 50 amp shore, then will supply both ac with power. (I had both ac's running off the generator a few weeks back, we are at a repair shop plugged into 50 amp shore and now I only get clicks from the front ac.)

Another weird thing, the generator only has 1 30 amp switch breaker, room for two but only one wired in.

thanks again.

(Apologies if there is a double post, my first post didnt get approved due to a link to another forum that linked me here. I'd be patient but we have 3 105 degree days coming up tommorow and id like to try and get this fixed.

Old 07-28-2021, 02:00 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I deleted the other thread; not that there was a problem with the link, but it would have duplicated this thread.

I have no specifics about your model MH but a standard 50 amp RV has the 59 amp 240 VAC from SP go through the ATS and into a standard AC breaker panel which basically feeds 120 VAC loads from one of the two "hot" leads. But each major load (like A/Cs) should have their own breaker in that panel. The loads should be pretty evenly balanced between the two sides, so:
1 A/C on each side
Maybe a microwave on 1 side and the water heater electrical element on the other.
Half the 120 VAC outlets on 1 side, the other half on the other side.

The generator's 30 amp breaker passes 240 VAC to the ATS via 2 hot leads as well, the breaker handle actually controls 2 ganged breakers: 240 VAC x 30 amps = 5800 running watts for your 7000 watt generator.

Hopefully this helps?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:07 AM   #3

THOR #24339
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I deleted the other thread; not that there was a problem with the link, but it would have duplicated this thread.

I have no specifics about your model MH but a standard 50 amp RV has the 59 amp 240 VAC from SP go through the ATS and into a standard AC breaker panel which basically feeds 120 VAC loads from one of the two "hot" leads. But each major load (like A/Cs) should have their own breaker in that panel. The loads should be pretty evenly balanced between the two sides, so:
1 A/C on each side
Maybe a microwave on 1 side and the water heater electrical element on the other.
Half the 120 VAC outlets on 1 side, the other half on the other side.

The generator's 30 amp breaker passes 240 VAC to the ATS via 2 hot leads as well, the breaker handle actually controls 2 ganged breakers: 240 VAC x 30 amps = 5800 running watts for your 7000 watt generator.

Hopefully this helps?
Okay that actually makes sense for the generator portion possing 30 amp 240.. however once the 240 from gen and shore reach the ATS, one side of ATS goes to my breaker panel inside, to a 30 amp main, that splits between rear ac and the rest of my inside appliances, microwave, propane water heater, fridge, etc. The other line goes mysteriously to the front main room AC. which Now isnt getting any power. Im trying to figure out why and if there is something bewtween the ATS and the front ac, that is causing this?

Ps thanks for deleting the other post. and thanks for the reply. im really trying to figure this out, though im stumped.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:25 AM   #4

THOR #24339
Update : The other side goes to a second 120v box that manages the power, from what ive read it switches between compressors or what have you. there are 3 breakers on this box one was tripped, now both AC's work. Thanks for the help we wont suffer tommorow.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:38 AM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the forum, and I'm glad that you got things figured out.
Stay cool...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 01:17 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum and glad you were able to figure it out.

Paul
Old 07-28-2021, 01:56 PM   #7

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
your generator, though, is NOT 240v service, like 50amp Shore Power, but is simply two separate 30amp breakers feeding the ATS, which sends the power to the separate breaker panels. Generators aren't typically 240v power from small to midsize RVs and motorhomes, only 10kw Generators and higher give such options.

Also, there is only one 'primary' 30amp breaker on your generator, but it controls BOTH 30amp sides of power - it's just a single handle instead of two, since, of course, it's also ONLY 120v power for each side. If one trips, the other does, too, but a flip of the primary breaker resets both at the same time.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:27 PM   #8

THOR #24339
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
your generator, though, is NOT 240v service, like 50amp Shore Power, but is simply two separate 30amp breakers feeding the ATS, which sends the power to the separate breaker panels. Generators aren't typically 240v power from small to midsize RVs and motorhomes, only 10kw Generators and higher give such options.

Also, there is only one 'primary' 30amp breaker on your generator, but it controls BOTH 30amp sides of power - it's just a single handle instead of two, since, of course, it's also ONLY 120v power for each side. If one trips, the other does, too, but a flip of the primary breaker resets both at the same time.
Thanks for the info that makes sense. & thanks for the welcomes
Old 07-28-2021, 08:08 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:

Did you notice his generator is 7,000 Watt propane Koehler, not the more common Onan you may be familiar with? Or that the motorhome is a 1996 Damon Intruder on Freightliner chassis? That is a large unit.

I’m not sure how these older generators worked, but a family member had an older GMC with Honda generator that I believe could be wired for 240V. Also, my son recently purchased a portable generator (less than 7,000 Watts) for hurricane backup power and it’s 240V capabable. Just saying that without documentation, it’s difficult to know what he’s working with (unless you're familiar with Koehler generators).

The only reason I would question your assumption is that at 7,000 Watts, or 2 X 30 Amp circuits, if they are in same phase, it could exceed the current capacity of the neutral wire. My guess is that wiring is sized to the 50 Amp motorhome rating without much excess.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:09 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:

You may be right, and if it is a dual winding in-phase generator like you described it really does not change this thread's discussion. But Kohler made two models of RV 7000 watt generators:

The 7CM21 which produced 120 VAC at 58 amps through a single 60 amp circuit breaker and a two-wire connection, and

The 7CM61 which produced 120/240 VAC at 26 amps per terminal through dual ganged 30 amp circuit breakers and a 3 wire connection.

Since the OP said his breaker on the generator is labeled "30 amp" I suspect he has the latter.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote