Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2020, 03:16 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #18151
Thor customer service dept

i have to say i am SO disappointed with the customer service at Thor. i have recently asked for two things:
1) is there a list of fluids that is available for the chassis, such as ATF, anti-freeze, oil, etc that is recommended. i was told to contact Ford. now of course i can do that, but why is not part of the service and documentation that is provided wit the motorhome? it's not like i didn't spend a large sum of money on that. also, thor contracts with the chassis manufacturer, certainly easy enough for them to make that request of their partner. the fact that this doesn't even occur to thor, complete lack of customer focus.

2) recently requested information on house batteries. i was given the company name with a phone number. great, the problem is the moron at thor who installed the house batteries sprayed painted all of the labels such that i cannot identify anything on the battery. again, can i get the info, sure; can thor make this easily and readily available to the customer so that they can provide a better experience, of cour
se!! the executive in charge of customer service should be fired and a new person with a true customer focus placed in charge. to send the customer chasing information for everything is truly a shame and an opportunity lost for thor.

and let's not get into repairs and such that i have had to already complete on my 2019. i'm just asking for some really simple stuff here.

Old 02-24-2020, 03:27 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Let's try a different tack.
What do you like about the Thor you bought?

All of the Ford stuff is in the owners manual.

Because we don't have an iota of information as to what year or model rv you own we can't provide a link for you.

What do you want to know about the batteries?
My batteries, somehow, didn't have the size printed on them from the factory.
A quick and succinct and well worded question I posted here was answered the same way I asked it; in detail and clearly, and I was right back on the road after replacing them.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:30 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by amonnar View Post
i have to say i am SO disappointed with the customer service at Thor. i have recently asked for two things:
1) is there a list of fluids that is available for the chassis, such as ATF, anti-freeze, oil, etc that is recommended. i was told to contact Ford. now of course i can do that, but why is not part of the service and documentation that is provided wit the motorhome? it's not like i didn't spend a large sum of money on that. also, thor contracts with the chassis manufacturer, certainly easy enough for them to make that request of their partner. the fact that this doesn't even occur to thor, complete lack of customer focus.

2) recently requested information on house batteries. i was given the company name with a phone number. great, the problem is the moron at thor who installed the house batteries sprayed painted all of the labels such that i cannot identify anything on the battery. again, can i get the info, sure; can thor make this easily and readily available to the customer so that they can provide a better experience, of cour
se!! the executive in charge of customer service should be fired and a new person with a true customer focus placed in charge. to send the customer chasing information for everything is truly a shame and an opportunity lost for thor.

and let's not get into repairs and such that i have had to already complete on my 2019. i'm just asking for some really simple stuff here.
Thor MC does is not certified to do anything to the basic Ford (Detroit Chassis) chassis. All chassis work is farmed-out to MorRyde. You received a chassis manual from Ford showing all you requested from Thor MC.
Everything installed in your coach by Thor MC is listed by serial number and manufacturer on a list usually glued to one of the closet doors in the bedroom. My original batteries were made by Harris. Your RV dealer should have explained this during your PDI.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:43 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I will also add that the owner's manual for my Challenger had a page that listed all Vendors used by Thor and the phone numbers to call for questions. There was also a statement at the beginning of the manual and warranty that stated that for questions related to components to contact that component manufacturer.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:57 PM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
The “ spray paint” applied by the “moron” is a corrosion inhibitor. Without it your battery terminals could corrode to the point the cables would need replacement.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:08 PM   #6

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
Nevermind I won't add
Old 02-24-2020, 04:08 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
All of the Ford stuff is in the owners manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
The “ spray paint” applied by the “moron” is a corrosion inhibitor. Without it your battery terminals could corrode to the point the cables would need replacement.
I see your posted concerns have already been answered by others ahead of me.

What is it you think you need to know about your batteries? They are simple lead-acid 12 volt "deep cycle" batteries in a standard size configuration, most likely 24, 29, or 31. This can be determined by measuring them.

If they are Thor OEM sourced batteries they are likely Harris brand and have bee abused on the dealer's lot by draining them completely multiple times. Warranty recourse is almost non-existent so if yours are bad the path of least resistance is to replace them with like batteries of the same (or bigger if they will fit) size and maintain them properly while you own the RV.

These are minor issues to get your dandruff up about and let impact your RV experience.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:31 PM   #8

THOR #18151
i get painting the cables, the person completing the cabling also painted the label on the batteries, all of them. my concern is it appears one battery label can be seen just a little and it says 6 volt, so i don;t know if i have 6volt or 12 volt, seems like that might be important information in the future. there is no information in any of the manuals from the website or given upon purchase that states what the house batteries are. i am just trying to locate this information
Old 02-24-2020, 04:35 PM   #9
Site Team

THOR #7035
Thor doesn't install 6 volt batteries as OEM. Did you buy this new?
Many people replace the OEM 12 volt batteries in parallel with 6 volt batteries in series.

How many water caps on each battery?

3 = 6 Volt battery
6 - 12 Volt battery.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:44 PM   #10

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Many people replace the OEM 12 volt batteries in parallel with 6 volt batteries in series.

3 = 6 Volt battery
6 - 12 Volt battery.
Best answer ever.
I wouldn't have thought to have someone count caps until wwwaaayyy after other ways to check popped through my considerably sized head.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:44 PM   #11

THOR #18151
i did buy this new and thank you for the information. i am waiting to hear from thor to see if they can confirm what was installed on this unit. i would think it would be a 12 but the label has a "6 vol" and that is the only thing i can see on all 4 house batteries.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:53 PM   #12
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by amonnar View Post
i did buy this new and thank you for the information. i am waiting to hear from thor to see if they can confirm what was installed on this unit. i would think it would be a 12 but the label has a "6 vol" and that is the only thing i can see on all 4 house batteries.
If the batteries have 3 fill holes they are 6 volt. If they have 6 fill holes they are 12 volt.

Also, if they are maintenance free without fill holes you can take a multi-meter and read the voltage for one battery and determine what they are.
FMCA - F432054
Old 02-24-2020, 05:00 PM   #13

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
you have 4 of the 6v HOUSE deep charge batteries provided on many coaches, especially diesels, and those with 'whole house' inverters. 4 of the 6v batteries, wired in SERIES and in PARALLEL provide the typical 12v output you expect, and what your lights, fans, and devices operate on - those in the 'house' of the RV, not the vehicle, which is powered by it's own 12v battery(s). The 6v house batteries are 'deep charge' types, just like a Golf Cart uses, and can be purchased at Sam's, Batteries +bulbs, and many auto parts and battery stores, or even the 'golf cart' store. You actually have the 'better' batteries for your situation, as they typically have a better outcome for RV use versus 12v types.

If this is a new coach, and the batteries are doing their job, your only need is to maintain the water level in each of the 3 water caps on each battery.

As for the chassis, that is always built by another supplier: FORD or FREIGHTLINER, for example, and THEY are the ones that provide the documentation that is EXACT for that chassis/make/model/year/size/tires/fluids/maintenance schedules, etc. You really don't want THOR, or any RV manufacturer intervening with that, since the WARRANTY is from the chassis manufacturer, not THOR.
Your warranty from THOR is partial to the part that THEY built, i.e., the 'HOUSE' part of the RV, which does include other items with their own manufacturer warranties, like the microwave, air conditioners, generator, TVs, fridge, etc. Some of those individual warranties will actually be LONGER than THOR's own warranty.

You have purchased a 'house on wheels', and it's completely different from most any other purchase most of us make. A house is a house. A car is a car. But an RV is a combination of both, plus the use of various 'power' systems to make it all work: 12v, 120v, Generator, Shore Power, Inverter, Converter, etc.

Enjoy! Yes, while your experience with your Thor spokesman may not have been up to your expectations, they are actually knowledgeable and good at what they do. THOR's service center is also excellent, if you ever need warranty work, and can travel to Wakarusa or one of their other service centers, depending on your Class and Model.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:09 PM   #14

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:

3 = 6 Volt battery
6 - 12 Volt battery.

Mine has 2 6V's from the factory, under the steps.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:55 PM   #15
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:

3 = 6 Volt battery
6 - 12 Volt battery.
My Thor Challenger came with 2 six volt batteries and there was an option to add 2 additional.

A previous post by the OP says they have a 2019 Outlaw 37MB. The Outlaw 37 has 4 house batteries and an assumption that is probably 99.99 percent correct is the 4 house batteries are Harris 6VDC batteries. I am not aware of any Thors that come with 4 12VDC batteries for the house.
FMCA - F432054
Old 02-24-2020, 08:22 PM   #16
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
My Thor Challenger came with 2 six volt batteries and there was an option to add 2 additional.

A previous post by the OP says they have a 2019 Outlaw 37MB. The Outlaw 37 has 4 house batteries and an assumption that is probably 99.99 percent correct is the 4 house batteries are Harris 6VDC batteries. I am not aware of any Thors that come with 4 12VDC batteries for the house.
You're probably right. I was limiting my thinking to the 2 battery configurations in the Cs and smaller As.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:29 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Reading the comments on this thread is a good reason for Thor to step up and help the consumer. Varying opinions on how the OPs coach is configured at the factory is best answered by the manufacturer, not internet experts. Thor customer support taking a few minutes to help a new owner goes a lot farther than telling the new owner it's not their job to provide information.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:57 PM   #18

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
I had questions about my batteries a year or two ago. Thor rep knew all about them and answered all my questions. Not sure why they couldn't help the OP.

Oh and my original "junk" stock batteries are still doing just fine and they are coming up on 4 years old

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 02:04 PM   #19

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Only have had good experience with them thus far.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:16 PM   #20

Model: Ace 27.7
State: Indiana
THOR #15856
What's their number