Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2023, 11:14 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #25813
Maintaining battery fluid levels

I have a Thor Magnitude with four batteries in the under step compartment. It all fits, but it is a maze of batteries and cables with no manuvering room. Any attempt at checking battery fluid levels or topping off is impossible without removing several cables to get at the back ones. A real pain, so I don't check as often as I should. Any experience with the auto fill systems? It seems like one hassle of original setup would alleviate my ongoing problems .Suggestions?

https://www.flow-rite.com/battery-ca...ions/pro-fill/

Old 02-11-2023, 02:01 AM   #2

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by malodiver View Post
I have a Thor Magnitude with four batteries in the under step compartment. It all fits, but it is a maze of batteries and cables with no manuvering room. Any attempt at checking battery fluid levels or topping off is impossible without removing several cables to get at the back ones. A real pain, so I don't check as often as I should. Any experience with the auto fill systems? It seems like one hassle of original setup would alleviate my ongoing problems .Suggestions?

It is AWESOME!!!
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 02:01 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Just replace you FLA batteries with AGMs. No more watering.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 04:11 AM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
We use the Flow Rite System it works as advertised. As we don't do off grid camping that often maybe a night here and there, we haven't felt the need to drop the extra coin for AGM's.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 04:41 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
We use the Flow Rite System it works as advertised. As we don't do off grid camping that often maybe a night here and there, we haven't felt the need to drop the extra coin for AGM's.
Putting AGMs in my Hurricane was a godsend. No more water to purchase, no more corrosion from the off gassing. Prior to the AGMs, I had to pull the batteries every 3 or 4 months and clean out the compartment. Then treat the compartment for corrosion, paint and reinstall the batteries. It was a couple of days work and I hated it and cursed the manufacturer. Now it is almost a set it and forget it proposition. Maintenance and worry free. Worth the extra $100.00 for the AGMs.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 05:19 AM   #6

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I swear by my GC2 golf cart batteries... but I only have two of them under the steps. Maintenance has been easy. Four of them? Just me... but that's where I'd consider a change.

If I were in your shoes and those flooded batteries had any age (or unintentional neglect ) on them, I'd be replacing them with AGMs just to remove an unnecessary "pain point".
Old 02-11-2023, 11:24 AM   #7

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
AGM were our choice many years ago with the GEM cars

Later the jet skis came with them and so did our Fords

Changed to Trojan GC2 AGM's 4 years ago. Best thing ever in the Tuscany and has saved hundreds of dollars on maintenance including not have to replace cables. Less charging has been the largest money saver, but it is hard to put a dollar amount on not having a corroded battery bay.

If you need another reason, they are safer, hydrogen gas is explosive.
Old 02-11-2023, 02:32 PM   #8

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
As soon as my FLA’s die, I’m going AGM. I have to remove the house batteries to fill them. I just guess at the chassis battery.
Old 02-11-2023, 05:54 PM   #9

THOR #25813
Thanks to all who responded. My present batteries are just a year old, so will go with the fill system fo now and replace with AGM when replacement is required.
Old 02-12-2023, 03:12 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Thanks to all who responded. My present batteries are just a year old, so will go with the fill system fo now and replace with AGM when replacement is required.
The flow rite system works very well. I installed it when I first got my mh. Check the water level monthly. My batteries were 6 years old when I sold the mh and were still working fine. These were the so called junk batteries. With Proper maintenance the batteries will last a long time

I very rarely dry camp so the extra cost for 6vt or agm didn't make sense to me

Good luck

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 07:09 PM   #11

THOR #25813
Flow-Rite battery system and winter storage

After several positive replies on the utility of the Flow-Rite system, it seems like a reasonable option for my situation. One concern I have, is that I store my MH over the winter in Montana. Their manual says to drain the feeder tube. However, I am worried about the individual fill valves and plastic connection apparatus. Hard to believe they will drain adequately. Does anyone have experience with this system over winter storage in freezing temps? If I have to remove the system every fall, the appeal losses its luster!
Old 02-12-2023, 07:47 PM   #12

THOR #16721
A typical Renogy 100 amp hour AGM battery is about $190. You have to consider is $760 worth it to completely eliminate your problem. There's other options for batteries... I just picked a popular one.
Old 02-12-2023, 08:07 PM   #13

THOR #25813
Switch to AGM's

If I were to switch to AGM batteries, does it require any changes in the OEM electrical systems ( converter, solar controller, charger, multiplex system)? in other words is it just a simple exchange of batteries?
Old 02-12-2023, 08:12 PM   #14

THOR #16721
Should be a drop in just like any other lead-acid battery. For all intents, the charge profile is essentially the same.

Switching to lithium is where changes must be made.
Old 02-12-2023, 11:37 PM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
After several positive replies on the utility of the Flow-Rite system, it seems like a reasonable option for my situation. One concern I have, is that I store my MH over the winter in Montana. Their manual says to drain the feeder tube. However, I am worried about the individual fill valves and plastic connection apparatus. Hard to believe they will drain adequately. Does anyone have experience with this system over winter storage in freezing temps? If I have to remove the system every fall, the appeal losses its luster!
Everyone seems like they want to change over to another battery type.

I don't have experience with freeze but I'd think all you need to do Is to either blow out the line with air or take out the flow rite and put the original caps back on. Fairly easy to do

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 01:02 AM   #16

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Fortunately NO.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 01:23 AM   #17

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Just replace you FLA batteries with AGMs. No more watering.

Flow rite costs about $25. 4 new AGM batteries would run to $600-800 and entail much work.
Old 02-15-2023, 11:55 PM   #18

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
I have used the Flow Rite system in my last two motor homes and would not hesitate to get again if I switch to another coach. They are easy to install and use. On my current coach I have one system on my two 6 volt house batteries and one on my chassis battery.

Paul

Paul
Old 02-16-2023, 05:46 PM   #19

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:

Get the Flow Rite, it’s a life saver