Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2019, 05:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #11774
Thor Factory Service Update

I had shared with some on this forum that I was about to make a ‘warranty’ trip to the Thor factory in Wakarusa, Indiana. I’ve just returned and thought I would share my experiences.

The drive was just over 900 miles (each way) from Hilton Head Island, SC to the Wakarusa service facility.

My rig is a 2018 Hurricane 29M. It was under warranty at the time I first scheduled the service appointment, but was out of warranty before my appointment date. I rescheduled once due to work conflicts and Thor was totally fine with that, even though my warranty had expired.

The main problem was that my kitchen counter/cabinet had separated from the wall ... along the back and sides ... about a half inch. It ‘popped’ from the wall while on a trip and never moved again. I assumed that the counter top may have had to be removed, along with the sink and stove and I did not trust this to my friends at Camping World ... it my choice and decision to make the trip to the Thor factory. I had a few other very minor items (most of which I did not even tell them about until I arrived)

I arrived late on Saturday evening (for a Monday morning appointment) and stayed on site in their parking / camping area, with 50amp, water and a dump station. WiFi in the parking area was weak to the point of being useless, but worked well in the customer waiting area.

They arrived at my rig @ 7:20 am on Monday and had all of the work completed by 2:00pm. Metal brackets were used to reinforce the counter to the wall (yes the stove had to be taken out). The few smaller items I mentioned to them were also done free of charge, even though the warranty had expired. They even checked a few things I didn’t even ask them about.

This is my first real problem with the rig. In the early days I had a few minor items that I took to Camping World, which were a pain to have addressed in a timely manor. I also had a few minor items (burned out LED ceiling light and AC relay/circuit board) ... Thor sent me parts and I did the work myself.

Since owning my rig (just over a year) I have invested a lot of time learning it’s systems (thank-you YouTube and others on this forum) and feel I can do most electric and mechanical work myself. Given the possible structural issue with the cabinet and that it was under warranty, I decided not to tackle it myself.

Should the counter have separated from the wall? No! But the service experience was exceptional. My experience with my Thor factory service was a 9. The value of not having to deal with Camping World ... priceless!

Old 08-15-2019, 06:17 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Nearly same scenario here...800 miles one way. It was worth the trip even if I had to drive it in reverse all the way. Five Star service with great attitudes. They told me..."we didn't build it here but we will fix it"...and they did. They also went over everything else and made a few upgrades for free. I got a spare motor for the awning, several tubes of sealant, extra cabinet latches. They really care!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:20 PM   #3

Model: Aria 3401
State: Arkansas
THOR #12542
This is encouraging to hear. I don't intend to allow my dealer to touch our coach again so I have an appointment in Wakarusa scheduled in November. It'll be 1200 miles one way, but I want everything fixed right.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:26 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Make a good list, be on time then get out of their way and let them have at it. You'll be amazed! Just don't hang around and tell them how to do it. Those people get on their nerves. Lots of cool things to do in Elkhart, like the RV Museum.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:06 PM   #5

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Thanks for the post!

I have a tentative appointment November 4th and my warranty expires Sunday. I started scheduling it back in April but the Customer Service Rep I was working with is no longer there and my info all fell in a black hole.

We got connected with a new CSR a few weeks ago after calling to find out what was happening. She has been pretty responsive and we just got word that November 4th is our date but we will get an e-mail confirmation from the Service Center on particulars.

The main reason is a leak the dealer didn't fix last winter when we had it in for warranty service. I also have a list of other small items as well.

I have a very strange leak.... that has not reappeared for the last couple months.

It can pour down rain and there is no water in the coach. Then when I pull out of the driveway and get a mile down the road, water can start dripping on my head while I am driving. Dealer said it was a slide window missing the seal from the the factory. I couldn't see how a leak there would end up on my head but I went with it. Then after we brought it back home from the dealer in March and went out on our first trip in April, it started dripping on my head again.

A month or two later this was a small puddle behind the drivers seat. The bunk and walls above the cab have been dry to touch. No signs of water on the wood under the over-the-cab-bunk cushions.

Since then not a drop on my head or anywhere else. Been on the roof and could not see anything obvious but my biggest concern is there has to be some wood somewhere that has gotten wet and what has happened to it since.

I'm afraid though it will take them more than a day to diagnose the issues and fix it. Downside is they already told us to bring it in winterized so we'll be staying in a hotel. Might have to rent a car and drive back home if it will take more than a day or two.

Still.... looking forward to them fixing it right!
Old 08-15-2019, 08:59 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Does Thor pay the fuel bill for a trip to the factory?
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:43 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
I went there 4 years ago for Service and I agree with others that it is top notch. Well worth the trip.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:32 PM   #8

State: Georgia
THOR #11774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Does Thor pay the fuel bill for a trip to the factory?

No such luck.

In my case I could have gone to the dealer but chose not to.

I would that would be the case for most of us.