Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2022, 09:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #27773
Thor freedom elite 26 ac compressor not coming on

THOR FREEDOM ELITE 26 AC COMPRESSOR NOT COMING ON

Hi I am new to to the forum, we just bought this 2017 Freedom Elite with only 4k miles, the a/c was working fine one day in the driveway with the generator.

Then next day tried to plug the RV into a wall socket with a 110 extension cord with an adapter on the RV cord, and the AC did not work.

Then the next day tried it again with the generator running and a/c was ice cold worked all day

Now today I cant get the compressor to turn on either on generator or a/c power from the extension cord.

It is a coleman mack a/c roof unit. we are leaving on a trip tomorrow and I am a little freaking out. I have checked the breakers and none are thrown
thank you!!

Old 08-24-2022, 10:27 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
You don't have enough power (amperage) from the outlet. The AC unit needs at least 20amps to safely start, then reduces power consumption somewhat.

Also note that it's NOT a good idea trying to run such high amperage devices using a typical household extension cord.

If at home, you're going to need at minimum a 20amp rated outlet using an appropriate rated, relatively short, extension cord. ALL the wiring between the motorhome and service box breaker MUST be rated for minimum 20amps.
Old 08-25-2022, 01:45 PM   #3

THOR #27773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
You don't have enough power (amperage) from the outlet. The AC unit needs at least 20amps to safely start, then reduces power consumption somewhat.

Also note that it's NOT a good idea trying to run such high amperage devices using a typical household extension cord.

If at home, you're going to need at minimum a 20amp rated outlet using an appropriate rated, relatively short, extension cord. ALL the wiring between the motorhome and service box breaker MUST be rated for minimum 20amps.
ok that makes sense. So since I did that, do you think I " tricked" the transfer switch into not working or something, Now the generator will not get the a/c compressor to work either
Old 08-25-2022, 04:48 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by a916rider View Post
ok that makes sense. So since I did that, do you think I " tricked" the transfer switch into not working or something, Now the generator will not get the a/c compressor to work either
Does the microwave work on the generator?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 04:52 PM   #5

THOR #27773
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Does the microwave work on the generator?
I didn't try the microwave but I did try one of the outlets on generator and it did work
Old 08-25-2022, 04:58 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
I didn't try the microwave but I did try one of the outlets on generator and it did work
But does it work NOW on generator. If the generator is supplying 120 VAC to the coach then the A/C should work unless you have lost 12 VDC control power to the thermostat. But if you have the fan running on the A/C then control power and 120 VAC is available and the transfer switch is working. There is a two minute delay built in to the A/C for starting the compressor after power loss - are you waiting long enough for that delay to time out?
Old 08-25-2022, 05:06 PM   #7

THOR #27773
Quote:
But does it work NOW on generator. If the generator is supplying 120 VAC to the coach then the A/C should work unless you have lost 12 VDC control power to the thermostat. But if you have the fan running on the A/C then control power and 120 VAC is available and the transfer switch is working. There is a two minute delay built in to the A/C for starting the compressor after power loss - are you waiting long enough for that delay to time out?
I see where you are going. if the fan is running then that means the transfer switch is running. I turned on the generator and waited as long as 20 minutes only warm air. its easy to hear outside whether the compressor is on because the generator sounds much quieter without the load of the compressor. So Maybe the thermostat is the problem. I did try this several times: I move the thermostat to FAN only and then start the generator. Fan comes on no problem, then I move the thermostat to COOL and then fan stops completely. One time after a few minutes the fan came back on but no cool air and no compressor working , other times it didnt come back on at all., I did see a place for some AA batteries under the thermostat cover, there were no batteries in the slot. should I put some in?
btw THANK YOU for helping me
Old 08-25-2022, 05:32 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
I see where you are going. if the fan is running then that means the transfer switch is running. I turned on the generator and waited as long as 20 minutes only warm air. its easy to hear outside whether the compressor is on because the generator sounds much quieter without the load of the compressor. So Maybe the thermostat is the problem. I did try this several times: I move the thermostat to FAN only and then start the generator. Fan comes on no problem, then I move the thermostat to COOL and then fan stops completely. One time after a few minutes the fan came back on but no cool air and no compressor working , other times it didnt come back on at all., I did see a place for some AA batteries under the thermostat cover, there were no batteries in the slot. should I put some in?
btw THANK YOU for helping me
If the fan stops completely when the compressor is trying to start it sounds like you have either a poor connection on the 120 VAC line going to the A/C or the controller in the A/C has issues.
Old 08-25-2022, 05:42 PM   #9

THOR #27773
Quote:
If the fan stops completely when the compressor is trying to start it sounds like you have either a poor connection on the 120 VAC line going to the A/C or the controller in the A/C has issues.
Is the "controller" part of the a/c unit on the roof?
Old 08-25-2022, 05:55 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Is the "controller" part of the a/c unit on the roof?
Yes. It houses the "smarts" of the A/C consisting of small circuitry that controls the fan and compressor running relays. The circuitry is what the thermostat talks to/controls.

Generally, the main power line goes from the circuit breaker panel to twist-lock connectors that you can see if you remove the lower housing (depends on the unit - some have the twist lock connectors visible by removing the top housing).

It may be as simple as a loose connection on the breaker or in the twist lock connectors, or maybe a mud-dauber nest built in the controller or relays.