Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2019, 01:40 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Indiana
THOR #1360
That's who has serviced it every time!

Old 07-02-2019, 03:38 PM   #22

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Well you had more that your fair share of problems..... but I cant help to feel once you get your current issues resolved you will have more happy days than not.

Next time you bring it into the factory for repair plan on staying a couple of days to make sure they have all of the bugs worked out before you leave the parking lot. Maybe set up TWO appt in the same week?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:51 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm also an optimist, and truly hope that you'll soon be seeing "Blue skies and Sunshine".
And I also agree that taking to Wakarusa for the repairs in the best idea.
Just don't leave until you're completely satisfied!

Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:56 PM   #24

State: Washington
THOR #6433
I also feel that while it sucks having to work the issues out once you do it will feel worth it. It took us two plus years to get our issues taken care of. Most of that was because of the dealer service but now that we do we wouldn’t change it
Old 07-02-2019, 06:25 PM   #25

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
You can't really blame Thor for the failed components they used. Now the lack of quality in the build that led to the stress cracks and rotten floor that's all on Thor. I guess the moral of the story is after your first trip back to the factory for repairs you should have sold it and started over with another brand.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:30 PM   #26

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Plus...five years of sitting around doesn't help things either. Most likely, it was left pretty much unattended. Two trips in 5 years doesn't do it much good. Wives, Boats and Motorhomes do not like being left behind and ignored. I wish you the best.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:12 PM   #27

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
We are talking about keeping the RV, for a couple more years, since we feel that we've lost a lot of money on it already! But, we still have almost 2 years of warranty left to give to a buyer. Torn!
Trade it in and keep your mouth shut.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:05 PM   #28

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Parts

Not blaming Thor for parts that failed.... I have to disagree here and that's all the conversation is worth. Someone in the food chain decided on buying the parts that end up failing because of quality issues. Sure, there are exceptions with failing parts but one small example would be the Command Electronics taillights that leak like sieves.... Why in today's age would you even install non-LED lights anyway? My guess is that it is just one more way to cut costs. So, yes, I for one hold them accountable for parts that fail. Its their name on the final sale product.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:55 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
Trade it in and keep your mouth shut.
Wait...

Where do you do this??

Old 07-02-2019, 11:16 PM   #30

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
To anyone considering buying a Thor,
Please reconsider your choice! We bought a new Thor Chateau 31L in 2015. It's the worst decision we've ever made! It has 7500 miles on it and has only made 2 trips to Florida and back, so that's all the miles. That and 4 trips to the factory for repairs! So far we've replaced the Microwave, both attic fans, 2 TVs, DVD, mud flaps, hydraulic hose, converter, lights, power cord! The awning has MILDEWED and was installed crooked causing it to not roll up all the way, and has ripped along the edge. If it's slightly windy it won't roll up on it's own! They said they replaced the motor! NOT! We bought the extended warranty, and now the floor is rotted, because of a short seal! Of course it's not covered! The fiberglass front cap has stress cracks on both sides, not covered! We paid $2100.00 for the exterior protectant and the fiberglass is faded already, and they said they will pay up to $800.00 to have someone buff it off and replace it, but we can't find anyone within a 2 hour drive to do it! No one wants to mess with it! Screws are falling out all over the Motorhome,and mouldings are falling off!
I think maybe this forum needs to add a new category called "Just want to complain".

I personally prefer when people write in with a particular issue seeking advice from those that have experienced similar problems.

I have one question of you...How could the floor rot with out you knowing there was a leak? It doesn't rot over night.

Anyway, good luck.

I love my Miramar! (Made by THOR)
Old 07-03-2019, 12:11 AM   #31

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Plus...five years of sitting around doesn't help things either. Most likely, it was left pretty much unattended. Two trips in 5 years doesn't do it much good. Wives, Boats and Motorhomes do not like being left behind and ignored. I wish you the best.
Add Generators to that list. Everytime there is bad weather I fuel my up let it run just waiting for the power to go out. The little quick flashes of dimming of the lights are just teasers. I have a transfer switch always ready to go. I pull my boat out and just go over everything on a nice cool day even when nowhere to go. I just like being. My wife thinks i spend more time cleaning and wax the boat versus on the water.

I have never owned an RV, but I expect it would take more of my time weekly than I spend on our pool. Everytime I read someone complain about the fiberglass finish fading etc., I am just guessing; they never wash and wax the RV. I wax my cars twice a year and they are garaged. My RV would have a cover or otherwise I would wax it 3 times a year
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:31 AM   #32

THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Add Generators to that list. Everytime there is bad weather I fuel my up let it run just waiting for the power to go out. The little quick flashes of dimming of the lights are just teasers. I have a transfer switch always ready to go. I pull my boat out and just go over everything on a nice cool day even when nowhere to go. I just like being. My wife thinks i spend more time cleaning and wax the boat versus on the water.

I have never owned an RV, but I expect it would take more of my time weekly than I spend on our pool. Everytime I read someone complain about the fiberglass finish fading etc., I am just guessing; they never wash and wax the RV. I wax my cars twice a year and they are garaged. My RV would have a cover or otherwise I would wax it 3 times a year
Let me also add to washing, waxing and covering since you live in Texas. Covers are a PITA. If you are lucky enough to have a real RV garage you would have it made. Parking a non-painted gelcoat RV out in the sun you would have to keep using a professional buffer to keep up the finish. Lots of work. Continual work. Living in Socal when we had the gelcoat finish, I could finish buffing the shine back and watch it dull within weeks.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:57 AM   #33

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Let me also add to washing, waxing and covering since you live in Texas. Covers are a PITA. If you are lucky enough to have a real RV garage you would have it made. Parking a non-painted gelcoat RV out in the sun you would have to keep using a professional buffer to keep up the finish. Lots of work. Continual work. Living in Socal when we had the gelcoat finish, I could finish buffing the shine back and watch it dull within weeks.
Indoor garage parking on far outskirts of Dallas is $150/mo inside the perimeter of city or close by $250 /month. I could pay someone to wax my RV twice a month for less than than and have it right next to my house.

My boats have all been gel coat. They sit in the sun while interior & inside have always been covered by very nice canvas. I have had 8 year old boats look newer than some that had a boat only two years because they never take care of the gel coat and leave it to the sun.

I do believe a cover for an RV may be a PITA. I have never done, but if I ever buy an RV and cover is is coming right after I buy insurance. They may them where you can go in and out without having to take off. so unless I am about to hit the road, my cover will always be on.

I do have question for you. Do you put any stock on a partial painted RV? Given you still have to protect the non painted portion does it make sense to go full paint or non paint at all? I am talking only about surface protection not aesthetics of how it may look.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 07-03-2019, 11:40 AM   #34
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Indoor garage parking on far outskirts of Dallas is $150/mo inside the perimeter of city or close by $250 /month. I could pay someone to wax my RV twice a month for less than than and have it right next to the house.
I do believe a cover for an RV may be a PITA. I have never done, but if I ever buy an RV and cover is is coming right after I buy insurance. They may them where you can go in and out without having to take off. so unless I am about to hit the road, my cover will always be on.

If you have someone the will wax your RV even ONCE a month for under $150 I think many would want the contact info...
32’ RV to wash/wax is $250 for me... that’s a private individual that does many in the area. Takes 3 people about half a day. I plan on twice a year..

To me the cover isn’t worth it... Don’t want the extra steps/time when I do want to use the rig... and others have found finish damage from the covers flapping in the wind.
Some like them... some don’t...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:55 AM   #35
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
I think maybe this forum needs to add a new category called "Just want to complain".

I personally prefer when people write in with a particular issue seeking advice from those that have experienced similar problems.

I have one question of you...How could the floor rot with out you knowing there was a leak? It doesn't rot over night.

Anyway, good luck.

I love my Miramar! (Made by THOR)
I'm glad to hear that you're "Happier than a clam in wet sand" with yours!
But not everyone is as fortunate...
I've never liked seeing folks have to report problems... But I do like to see when they're looking at (or have found!) workable solutions.
It's often how we get our best ideas...

But if folks just want to complain, and aren't interested in finding fixes:
Old 07-03-2019, 01:12 PM   #36

THOR #3483
Quote:
Indoor garage parking on far outskirts of Dallas is $150/mo inside the perimeter of city or close by $250 /month. I could pay someone to wax my RV twice a month for less than than and have it right next to my house.

My boats have all been gel coat. They sit in the sun while interior & inside have always been covered by very nice canvas. I have had 8 year old boats look newer than some that had a boat only two years because they never take care of the gel coat and leave it to the sun.

I do have question for you. Do you put any stock on a partial painted RV? Given you still have to protect the non painted portion does it make sense to go full paint or non paint at all? I am talking only about surface protection not aesthetics of how it may look.
My answer to your question regarding partial paint/gelcoat. I can personally answer that I did not give this issue much thought, of course, with our first rig that had no paint, just stickers. I did give it thought when I saw that the front cap became completely dull within eight months and the stickers faded drastically. If you can handle the cost, full paint will handle age much better.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:46 PM   #37

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
If you have someone the will wax your RV even ONCE a month for under $150 I think many would want the contact info...
32’ RV to wash/wax is $250 for me... that’s a private individual that does many in the area. Takes 3 people about half a day. I plan on twice a year..

To me the cover isn’t worth it... Don’t want the extra steps/time when I do want to use the rig... and others have found finish damage from the covers flapping in the wind.
Some like them... some don’t...
@gmc, to be clear I am not saying it will be worth, just saying IF I buy an RV, I will buy a cover. If it becomes a PITA I will stop. Reminds me of a solar heat cover that came with my pool, I got it used it few years and then gave it away.

The covers that I buy are usually very high end custom or at minimum semi custom fit so flapping in the wind is not something that I would expect to see to be an issue. My Yamaha OEM boat coat for 24 Limited is exact what I would want for my RV. I would use to protect from leaves and habitual hail that always hits us in Texas.

I would wax my RV myself and I would NOT need to do twice a month, but I was making a point that versus spending $2400/year for indoor storage, I could keep my boat adequately waxed whether I did it myself or aid someone. Even if $300/wax and I have the professionals do 3 times a year, I am way ahead of the game.

The point of all of this for me, is I want my RV at home, and I planning accordingly. I would only use the cover when regular use is not expected, leaves falling or inclement bad weather.

Related but off point, I have friends that when we take our boats off the water, then spend and extra hour and a half going by storage facility to store their boats while I go straight home and park my boat on it's spot. I never put my cover on it until next day or s as I like my boat to get full air 24 hours after use, their boats which are fairly new show signs of mildew from ironically being stored inside a facility with no air flow.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:38 PM   #38
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
@gmc, to be clear I am not saying it will be worth, just saying IF I buy an RV, I will buy a cover. If it becomes a PITA I will stop. Reminds me of a solar heat cover that came with my pool, I got it used it few years and then gave it away.

I would wax my RV myself and I would NOT need to do twice a month, but I was making a point that versus spending $2400/year for indoor storage, I could keep my boat adequately waxed whether I did it myself or aid someone. Even if $300/wax and I have the professionals do 3 times a year, I am way ahead of the game.

The point of all of this for me, is I want my RV at home, and I planning accordingly. I would only use the cover when regular use is not expected, leaves falling or inclement bad weather.

Not disagreeing at all... just wishing I could get it waxed for $150... lol
I want and have mine at home too... last house had a HOA that wouldn’t allow it, so paid for storage every month... Was absolutely a consideration for this house, and the RV has its home now behind the garage.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:50 PM   #39

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Alan
sorry to read about your problems and woes. It's certainly aggrevating if you let it be for sure!
I'm curious though, otherwise how are you liking your 31L floorplan?
We love ours still. I haven't really found anything else I like better or even equally.. class A, C, or otherwise....except the identical plan Thor used to offer on the F-550 chassis. I've always thought it doesn't look so good on paper though, which is probably why it was discontinued.

As far as the issues....
I agree of course that the thing is riddled with construction quality and design flaws. It truly is mind boggling. There's not much I haven't had to mess with on mine...and if I had to take mine in for service for every loose screw or misaligned drawer slides I would be nuts too. I've chosen to look at the bright side with most of it though, and dive into repairs and mods as part of the hobby...much like artists would dive into a new painting or pottery project...
Old 07-04-2019, 11:49 PM   #40

State: Indiana
THOR #1360
I guess with all the positive comments from people, I should expect that buying a motorhome wouldn't be problem free! I just thought that with moderate construction quality Thor would make a product that should last for 3 to 5 years with no big problems! I guess when I first looked at this motorhome and it wouldn't start I should have run, not walked away as fast as I could!

Tags
thor junk