Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2019, 01:30 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #6433
I don’t think everyone is saying all these positive things it’s more of how an individual handles the problems that come to all RVs. The floor problem you had is serious and you should be pissed about that. I think we all would. I know our water leak that took 4 times to get fixed right I was pissed but at the end of the day being pissed never got me anywhere. Focus on what you can control. Tv’s, microwaves mudflaps are not manufactured by Thor and are all the same brands that all builders use so they don’t have a lot of control over that.

Old 07-05-2019, 01:57 AM   #42

Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #12686
The father-in-law of a close friend of mine took delivery of his new (3rd) Prevost in February, $1.6 million. He made one trip from Central Florida to Atlanta area and back. It's been in for repairs ever since...slide had to be removed to replace tracks, generator being replaced, front windshield leaking. He only kept the first two he owned for less than two years each due to problems. Sounds just like the same problems with Thor, Jayco, Tiffin, Winnebego, Coachman, Forest River...
pavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:31 PM   #43

State: Indiana
THOR #1360
The problem wasn't the products, it was the wiring!
The converter caused some sort of problem that shorted everything out! I still have a GFI that has a ghost trip out, a light that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, a chassis battery that drains weekly! As I was replacing the floor I found wires cut off and laying under the slide! Is there a screw in a wire somewhere? Where would I start looking?
Old 07-05-2019, 12:34 PM   #44

THOR #1360
I was a million dollar homebuilder for many years! If we had that kind of quality, we would not have built 2 homes.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:27 PM   #45

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
The problem wasn't the products, it was the wiring!
The converter caused some sort of problem that shorted everything out! I still have a GFI that has a ghost trip out, a light that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, a chassis battery that drains weekly! As I was replacing the floor I found wires cut off and laying under the slide! Is there a screw in a wire somewhere? Where would I start looking?
I had that happen in a new Class C I had 7-8 years back. Going down the road, a main fuse would blow and cut out the back up and side cameras and the front courtesy and map lights. I would stop at a Ford dealer and they would replace the fuse ($25) and everything would be fine. I would drive some miles and it would blow again. It was a bitch to find. Turns out the manufacturer had run the wiring up alongside the drivers side front window frame and the installer had screwed thru the cover into the wire. At rest, everything was fine, but when the RV flexed going down the road, the screw moved and shorted and blew the fuse. I found it by figuring out which systems did not work and called the manufacturer and he was able to tell me where the wiring ran. Trial and error.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:01 PM   #46

State: Texas
THOR #15872
Quote:
To anyone considering buying a Thor,
Please reconsider your choice! We bought a new Thor Chateau 31L in 2015. It's the worst decision we've ever made! It has 7500 miles on it and has only made 2 trips to Florida and back, so that's all the miles. That and 4 trips to the factory for repairs! So far we've replaced the Microwave, both attic fans, 2 TVs, DVD, mud flaps, hydraulic hose, converter, lights, power cord! The awning has MILDEWED and was installed crooked causing it to not roll up all the way, and has ripped along the edge. If it's slightly windy it won't roll up on it's own! They said they replaced the motor! NOT! We bought the extended warranty, and now the floor is rotted, because of a short seal! Of course it's not covered! The fiberglass front cap has stress cracks on both sides, not covered! We paid $2100.00 for the exterior protectant and the fiberglass is faded already, and they said they will pay up to $800.00 to have someone buff it off and replace it, but we can't find anyone within a 2 hour drive to do it! No one wants to mess with it! Screws are falling out all over the Motorhome,and mouldings are falling off!
Hi Allan, my name is John, I have a question about my sisters Thor class A. She bought it yesterday, 2011 33’. I can’t get the leveling system to work. Key on, park brake set, all lights come on, then go off. Push the power button and it won’t come on, what’s your opinion?
Old 07-05-2019, 09:19 PM   #47

State: Washington
THOR #13352
To Alan's post

Alan - Thank you for posting. The quality control is owned by the manufacturer. The dealer's who have been accepting this for years are a party to this.

I purchased in cash a new 2016 Synergy. I was not familiar with the practices prevalent in the industry. I relied on the Mercedes name, the coach warrantee, and my experiences with restoration and maintenance of collectable cars and a general ability to fix most anything.

We were told we would have to wait a week to pick up the unit as it was to go through an inspection required by Thor. Driving back from the dealer as we were headed to a ferry in Seattle the check engine light came on and the engine lost power. We made it home in limp home mode. Mercedes sent out a tow truck the following day and promptly fixed the sensors that went out do to no DEK at all. They even towed it back to my house.

However that night before the Synergy was towed we went out to inspect and enjoy our new motor home. Upon opening a drawer I found the largest mouse nest I had ever seen, also with dead mice. There were two other nests. Almost every corner of the lower cabinets had been chewed by mice. There was a beer can behind a drawer when I found build waste behind every drawer. Wire remnants, screws, wood pieces and mouse droppings. My wife went inside. Without writing a novel our simple wish to go camping became a two year saga and hundreds of hours of effort o be able to go for our first real trip.

When I contacted Thor and the dealer i was polite but persistent and after the owner had told me he was aware of issues in service and brought in some new players from respected dealers on who made it a point to keep his word.

The rear slide out was installed incorrectly was inoperative with considerable damage to the rear of the motor home.

At one point before we found everything we tried a play camp only to find the cabinets flooded with water pouring in through a seam on the roof. Then generator (Onan) had to be replaced - stator bad.
The microwave was plugged in by apparently never tested
The converter was bad losing charging functions and 12 volt power. Wires under the bed were melted taking out the power cutoff.
The rear glass next to the bed fell our while driving - it had been taped on.

This required many trips to the dealer where the coach sat for months. After one trip to pick it up I discovered that the work order said customer complains back slide out not worked - its works fine. When I asked him how many slide out the couch had he couldn't say. I then let him know that there are two - and the rear unit as list on the order had not been looked at in the month it was there. I was asked when I could bring it back.

When I began to look at this I found the wiring so undersized and poorly executed and the general build quality (each drawer had two or three screws with the remainder of the bags simple left behind the drawers.

When I became aware of the full weight of the issues and knowing that if the coach had been even looked at before turning it over some of this would have been caught.

I managed to keep my patience, By the end of the two year ordeal Thor and the dealer replaced all the wood work, part of the floor;. Rebuilt the damaged rear structure and installed a new rear slide as well as the damage caused by the leaks.

I understand this is not uncommon. I then installed a quality converter / high end inverter, computers and controllers added battery capacity and solar to have some level of confidence of fewer issues. It should have to be that hard. There are quality coaches out there and from what I learned I can't say Thor falls into that category. As someone in this tread suggests I was shown very expensive coaches that had been the shop for months.

Nobody likes to write negative things but it is important maybe not so much in a forum of owners but for new potential owners.
Keith Morris,
Seattle

The list:
Old 07-06-2019, 03:00 AM   #48

THOR #1360
It needs to be running to get the voltage high enough!
Old 07-06-2019, 03:06 AM   #49

THOR #1360
The coach needs to be running to get the voltage over 14.4 volts
Old 07-06-2019, 06:47 PM   #50
Cpd

State: New Hampshire
THOR #14097
Quote:
Thanks everyone for your support! I am a qualified home builder, with 45 years experience in carpentry, plumbing, electrical, and some automotive repair experience! So, over the last two days I've repaired the floor myself! It's all fixed and put back together! You can't even tell! I guess the point is: I shouldn't have to do that! We paid $4000 extra to avoid having to spend 2 days in 90 degree heat, making those repairs! I thought I was retired! Luckily, I have all the tools to do it, but again, I shouldn't have to! I'm going to tackle the awning repair tomorrow! Anyone ever use gorilla tape to repair your awning? It's torn along the edge of the coach, so I'm going to run along the entire edge like a protective layer. I don't know how long it will last but $15 is better than $280.
My husband used the tape on the ads where they show it sealing a pipe, boat etc and it works great! Been through snow , rain and afterv4 months still holding well.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:02 PM   #51

Model: Windsport 29M
THOR #9109
Sorry you have had so much trouble. We have a 2017 Windsport 29M and our issues have been pretty minor. It is 2-1/2 years old and we have 21,000 miles on it. Our biggest complaints were a wiring issue to the electrical part of the water heater and intermittent camera. Water heater repair wasn't cheap and I made the mistake of authorizing the work to be done before the warranty company approved it. Cost me $600 but my mistake not Thor's. The real aggravation was the camera. Took 4 fixes by three shops but Convenience RV in Willis, Texas knew how to fix it. Small shop but quality work. Good luck in the future.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:11 PM   #52

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #15009
I sympathize with you - my new 2018 Windsport has been a royal pain since we got it & may just end up trading it in for a different RV altogether. But you can bet it won't come from Camping World ! Never Never Never again
Old 07-06-2019, 08:14 PM   #53

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Please reconsider your choice! We bought a new Thor Chateau 31L in 2015. It's the worst decision we've ever made! It has 7500 miles on it and has only made 2 trips to Florida and back, so that's all the miles. That and 4 trips to the factory for repairs! So far we've replaced the Microwave, both attic fans, 2 TVs, DVD, mud flaps, hydraulic hose, converter, lights, power cord! The awning has MILDEWED and was installed crooked causing it to not roll up all the way, and has ripped along the edge. If it's slightly windy it won't roll up on it's own! They said they replaced the motor! NOT! We bought the extended warranty, and now the floor is rotted, because of a short seal! Of course it's not covered! The fiberglass front cap has stress cracks on both sides, not covered! We paid $2100.00 for the exterior protectant and the fiberglass is faded already, and they said they will pay up to $800.00 to have someone buff it off and replace it, but we can't find anyone within a 2 hour drive to do it! No one wants to mess with it! Screws are falling out all over the Motorhome,and mouldings are falling off!
The tittle of this thread should be RV Garbage. RV means recreational Vehicle. Not just Motor Homes. Thor is not alone in this issue by a long shot. it is across ALL Brands.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:48 PM   #54

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Thor is junk! But they all are. Friend of mine has brand new 5th wheel and he is experiencing same problems.

I am going to Elkhart in one month to pay $15,000.00 to get the full body paint as after 4 short years - front fiberglass is cracked on top and coach looks 20 yrs old.
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:05 PM   #55

State: Virginia
THOR #13629
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
The tittle of this thread should be RV Garbage. RV means recreational Vehicle. Not just Motor Homes. Thor is not alone in this issue by a long shot. it is across ALL Brands.
I read the best way to describe an RV is a home that is going through an earthquake during a hurricane. I really cannot think of anything short of an iron bar that can go through that much stress without something coming loose or shaking apart. It's good to know some basic repair skills. You'll learn more as you go along. But the best skill is knowing your limits and calling in a professional. I bought mine one year used, with 5000 miles on it. That's not even broken in! So far, 99.875% satisfied!

See you out there...
Old 07-06-2019, 09:33 PM   #56

THOR #10281
Smile

Quote:

Hmmm, have to say my experience with a Thor vegas is just the opposite, 25K miles on a 2018 and very few minor problems. Not that I doubt you, it is just that that has not been my experience. Probably would be best not to paint every Thor product with such a broad brush, although I am sorry for what you have experienced, cant say from my experience that the quality issues are across the board.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:22 PM   #57

Model: Challenger
State: New Jersey
THOR #7108
Build a new home and you will have a 1-2 page list of Little (and sometimes big) things that need attention from the builder.

Buy a MOVING HOME cobbled together with many diff mfg parts and supplies and you should expect to budget annually to fix things or visit the dealer/Mfgr a couple of times in the first year.

At least these have been our experiences....

We r not handy, sadly, so most but not all issues need work from our trusty shop. We have also done some really DUMB things that have caused ourselves repairs and expense. But live n learn. We still love camping and traveling around with “our Stuff” and our dogs and kids in tow, comfortably.

Hopefully on retirement we can make a hobby out of learning to do more things ourselves (like winterizing, etc)
Old 07-07-2019, 12:39 AM   #58

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Sorry to hear about your problems. Sounds like you have more than your fair share of them but unfortunally most of us are here because we need some sort of help with our RV .....and its an on going problem.

I was was not able to tackle the repairs myself I would have hung it up a long time ago.

But for the most part (keep your fingers crossed) once you get these bugs worked out (and continue to check/repair little things along the way) you should find less wrong with your RV and the good times will start rolling.

Let us know if we can help you with anything.... thats one of the main reasons this forum exsists.

Same with me. Thor no more. Leisure Travel will be my next one.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:19 AM   #59

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
THOR #13025
Wow, bad luck. Love my Thor 35sf
Old 07-07-2019, 10:46 AM   #60

State: Alabama
THOR #15851
I know the feeling already

When you buy a used vehicle, you’re “buying somebody else’s problems”. When you buy a NEW vehicle, the “problems” are part of the package! 😆

Having a 2020 Chateau 25V, I’ve found the following problems already: awning motor misaligned on right side, bird’s nest wiring underneath taped by someone who might have been texting or playing Candy Crush, sink leaking, loose sensor on BW tank. Yeah, low-crawling on one’s shoulder blades is more fun than Man was meant to have! Good thing I’m handy and have years of experience fixing other people’s problems.

It just casts “seeds of doubt” when a new RV starts manifesting issues right away, and I already don’t trust the gorillas in the service department, who I’m pretty sure didn’t like how I had lots of questions during the “owner orientation” for my fiance’s new purchase.

I don’t remember their ever being a repeal of the Caveat Emptor Ammendment. 😄
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	352345CB-D574-494B-82C9-D82937DB0BFD.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	18769  

Tags
thor junk