Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2019, 02:34 PM   #81
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpd View Post
Of course we all want good quality/ services! But when this doesnt happen it's still better to look at the good side rather than just the bad... glass half full!
Yup!
If you're always looking at the glass as being "Half-empty": you eventually start focusing on the fact that it's also dirty, and has a crack in it...

Since I've always been a "half-full" kind of guy: I notice how refreshing the drink (that I did get!) was; and how much it made me want more!

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:45 PM   #82

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I am with you on this point. If RV industry wishes to market and sell only to do it yourselfers / handymen & women so be it. Too many customers have spent a good portions of their savings to learn the hard way. I have been fortunate to come across this site before buying. In a way it is blessing & curse because without the site; I would already have bought and RV. But as it is, I am learning all of the headaches and tribulations of front before I am on the road stranded with my family and with "Naut A Clue" ( my boat name by the way ) but I digress

The industry remind me of Harley Davidson before they went bankrupt, Only person that could really buy and ride Harleys where the biker mechanic types. When I bought my Harley, I didn't know flip but 1 down and 4 up, but with the dealership right around the corner from my house, the free beer anytime I want, the constant camaraderie to include for professionals with no beard and tattoo, along with a 7 years warranty for an extra $1,500 bucks was all I needed to make the plunge. I have had the bike 6 years and never had to use the warranty for anything.

There has to be a better way for the industry to learn that customer issues are real. GM Customer Support fixed my transmission in an out of warranty 2014 Camaro for $.25 cents on the dollar because common sense told them I could not have ruin the transmission with only 28,000 miles despite the 4 years having lapsed.

At current rate, when I do by an RV, if nothing goes wrong in first 2 years, I may have to return it as it may have been an anomaly defect where the percentages and lady luck played in my favor

Seriously? I think the vast majority of RV owners are happy with their purchase. Most of us have purchased several and probably wouldn’t have if the experience was all that terrible. Chose a good dealer, do a thorough PDI and enjoy the life.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:15 PM   #83

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Seriously? I think the vast majority of RV owners are happy with their purchase. Most of us have purchased several and probably wouldn’t have if the experience was all that terrible. Chose a good dealer, do a thorough PDI and enjoy the life.

I think vast majority of RV owners and Harley owners back in the years leading up to bankruptcy were happy with their purchase as well. My post is more about the many novice owners I have read from over last 9 months or so that come to this site for help or as in their view, a poor quality product. In most cases answers are provided and they seem to move along, others the answers seem to be you should have a dealer that is trusted; which you don't know until you get screwed, take it back to Indiana; which it is not a reasonable option for most that are not close by, or learn to service it yourself; which it basically what I am trying to do so when I do buy, nothing will catch me by surprise. In my case, I don't ever expect to be unhappy customer, because I am preparing for the worse. I will therefore be part of the vast majority that are happy, but the industry problems still persist which is my broader point.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:19 PM   #84

State: Washington
THOR #6433
i think there are two ways to think about your RV when it comes to problems. There are the serious ones like slides falling out and then there is everything else. Just last night I was working on fixing the grey line that comes from the main sink. All hobbies take time and money if you want a trouble free camping experience go to a motel. Every boat needs maintenance doesn’t matter if it’s a 180k colbalt or a 20k bayliner. Classic cars yup that’s going to cost you. Do you have a cabin yup going to cost you. Snowmobile going to cost you. I guess it just comes down to being a half full kind of person. Your going to be pissed when things happen but a lot comes down to inspecting your rig before you go.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:37 PM   #85
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I always thought that the most expensive hobby you could have; is being married!

She's not standing behind me: is she?
Old 07-08-2019, 04:43 PM   #86

THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I always thought that the most expensive hobby you could have; is being married!

She's not standing behind me: is she?
Haha if she is it just got more expensive
Old 07-08-2019, 05:08 PM   #87
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Old 07-08-2019, 05:44 PM   #88

Model: Siesta 24SS
State: California
THOR #15547
I'm about a month and a half into ownership of a new Siesta 24SS. Towed my Jeep from the Bay Area, up and over the Sierras, to the Eastern Sierras for some trout fishing a week ago. The Siesta performed great and it was very enjoyable trip.

With that said, it's also been a month and a half of fixing countless poor workmanship issues. The latest discovery is the kinked propane line seen in the attached photo. It's relentless the amount of items that are simply lazy, sloppy effort.

At this time I'm fine with continuing to fix these items, but really. To spend so much money and continue to stumble across these things drives me crazy. I am capable and enjoy working on my house, my vehicles and my RV; so, I'll continue to forge ahead. The positive on all of this is that I am learning what's under every nook and cranny and how this thing is put together and works; which, is fun for me.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PropaneLine.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	18804  
Old 07-08-2019, 05:59 PM   #89
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Congratulations on your new Siesta!
How about some pictures?
Old 07-08-2019, 06:02 PM   #90

Model: Siesta 24SS
State: California
THOR #15547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Congratulations on your new Siesta!
How about some pictures?

Here's a couple of photos with the Jeep in tow...at home before trip and then just over Donner Summit on I80...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Siesta and Rubi.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	18805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Siesta & Rubi at Donner Pass.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	18806  

Old 07-08-2019, 06:41 PM   #91
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
That is a really nice-looking rig... and Jeep!

Old 07-08-2019, 07:03 PM   #92

THOR #15069
Had my issues with my new 2018 Thor Gemini from the onset. Leaks in the roof, the dealer removing the original coach and engine batteries and replacing them with subpar batteries. Also my RV came with no fuel line to the generator. Wood trim falling off. Misaligned drawers. Broken shades. Window screens that don't fit properly. Build quality is amazingly bad. Thor customer service is also horrible with long wait times and some untrained reps who have no actual knowledge of the RV's Thor sells. They can be rude also.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:29 PM   #93

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Sell it and get happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJSmith View Post
Had my issues with my new 2018 Thor Gemini from the onset. Leaks in the roof, the dealer removing the original coach and engine batteries and replacing them with subpar batteries. Also my RV came with no fuel line to the generator. Wood trim falling off. Misaligned drawers. Broken shades. Window screens that don't fit properly. Build quality is amazingly bad. Thor customer service is also horrible with long wait times and some untrained reps who have no actual knowledge of the RV's Thor sells. They can be rude also.
Sell it. Sell it today.
Buy yourself one where you do the due diligence of firing up the generator and opening drawers and screens.

Some of you aren't coming off as having responsibly partaken in the buying process.

Some here rave of the fine customer service at Thor. I'm going out on a limb here but I bet undertrained phone folk tend to mimic those they're speaking with.
Attitude shows right through the words in a post/phone call.

It cost me exactly a good attitude and 24 taco bell tacos to get a free wash and my rv back from cw in three days with EVERYTHING PLUS FOUR ITEMS FIXED. I imagine the same will happen when I call Thor.

Phone folk?
There but for grace go I.
And I treat them as such.
I'm glad they're there. I'm glad I'm not.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:44 PM   #94
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It IS easier to catch flies with honey: isn't it?
Good on you!
Old 07-08-2019, 08:14 PM   #95

THOR #6433
It’s funny how sometimes the ownership of issues doesn’t fall on the individual. When I was at the dealer getting the roof leak fixed for the fourth time. A couple came in and this lady was just screaming at the service writer on how horrible their rig was and pissed because the decal was coming off the front. After 30 mins of the ass chewing he received he took a box knife cut off the frayed decal area. The service writer stated well you know what it looks like is hail damage. That’s when the husband was like oh we just drove through Colorado and went through a hail storm. He apologized for his wife after that, but that just shows the abuse that they take sometimes. These customers didn’t even buy their rig from them they were just passing through town.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:25 PM   #96

Model: ACE
State: Alabama
THOR #10208
I requested my service warranty back. Realized that the policy was garbage. Also, I vowed never to shop at GoodSams or buy another THURD MH. However, I got my 2016 ACE modified the way I like it so, not too many issues.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:30 PM   #97
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
What did you modify,;in order to make it work better for you?
Old 07-08-2019, 10:43 PM   #98

Model: ACE
State: Alabama
THOR #10208
Bob, I did the following to improve my MH:

1. Sumo springs front and rear
2. Rear track bar
3. CHF front
4 Rear Sway Bar
5. Sound proofing doghouse and cab
6. Carpet cab
7. Lights in cab
8. Bathroom remote ceiling/vent fan
9. Bedroom AC
10. Crematic Wheel balancers
11. Satellite throughout the MH
12. Plugged duct work after front two ducts
13. Mounted Dish Walley, DVD, Bose Surround main area
14. New shower head and drilled out shower mixer to improve flow
15. Installed cup holders in main cab area
16. Installed cup holders in table between captain chairs

Soon to tint
Old 07-08-2019, 10:49 PM   #99

Model: Citation SR Sprinter
State: Iowa
THOR #7596
Thor Garbage

2017 Thor Citation. 26,000 miles. Trips to Alaska , West coast to East coast. Across Canada from BC to PEI. Also numerous short 300 mile or so short trips around where we live.. No issues No problems with Mercedes Sprinter or the Thor Citation. Everything worked just fine. This is our 4th RV and I would not have a problem buying another Thor if it fits our needs.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:13 PM   #100

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBlanchard View Post
Bob, I did the following to improve my MH:

1. Sumo springs front and rear
2. Rear track bar
3. CHF front
4 Rear Sway Bar
5. Sound proofing doghouse and cab
6. Carpet cab
7. Lights in cab
8. Bathroom remote ceiling/vent fan
9. Bedroom AC
10. Crematic Wheel balancers
11. Satellite throughout the MH
12. Plugged duct work after front two ducts
13. Mounted Dish Walley, DVD, Bose Surround main area
14. New shower head and drilled out shower mixer to improve flow
15. Installed cup holders in main cab area
16. Installed cup holders in table between captain chairs

Soon to tint
Bravo , your real life experience and path chosen sounds like the approach I plan to take. My expectations are very low, so it will be hard for any mfg to disappoint me.

Your #15 & #16 makes me really smile. I once watched a YouTube Video where they were ripping RV shoppers for asking about Cupholders. I looked at a Coachman 29SS that I was seriously going to consider and it only had 1 Cup Holder between driver and front passenger. Then they had the cheap $1.98 Cupholder you buy from walmart on the passenger side. There were other issues, but who makes a $85k RV without plenty of cupholders? btw, the mfg (Coachman); tried to explain it by saying the cupholders were in the table that fits between driver and front passenger. I went back to look and that was a mistruth as the table was flat.

I give this site a lot of credit, because despite many temptations (opportunities) to just get something, I will only buy unit with 5500kw w/2 ACs or nothing. It is not an option for me in Texas.

I am curious why you Plugged duct work after front two ducts? I assume it was for the one unit that came with coach and the the 2nd was NOT ducted?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor junk