Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2019, 12:17 AM   #101
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
All that I can say is"Wow!", and "Bravo!"

Old 07-09-2019, 03:20 AM   #102

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE
State: Alabama
THOR #10208
The duct work (channels) coming out of the driver and passenger side appear to open into the head area in the cab. I stuffed some styrofoam after the vent on each side. Closing the ductwork after the vents helped the flow throughout the MH.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:34 AM   #103

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squerly View Post
The motor home industry is hurting themselves in the long run.

I personally would rather buy a 5-year old Newmar Vantana than to buy a brand new Thor Challenger 37tb. Both will be about the same money but the Newmar will be much nicer in every respect. And the kinks will have already been worked out for me.
Good luck at that. I have owned a total of 6 campers (3 motorhomes) all of them used except for the last purchase. Every one had problems requiring minor to major repairs. As example, a class C had a leak in the rear, unbeknownst to the previous owner. I discovered it when I noticed a screw sticking out from the trim. It required complete removal of the rear of the coach, remanufacturing the rear supports for both rear corners and putting it all back together.

Sure you're going to experience problems with ANY unit you BUY. Buying new ensures me that all the problems are mine...not caused by misuse or ignored issues by the previous owner.

Of course I wish the workmanship was better, but having been in business my entire working career, I realize it is a PEOPLE problem.

I realize there is a difference between annoying issues and MAJOR problems but bottom line, it's everywhere. If you can't cope with it, rent an RV or better yet stay in a hotel!

Again, if you think buying used will solve your problem...well good luck at that. My thought is to buy what you want, expecting kinks and work through them.

I love my Miramar!
Old 07-09-2019, 01:26 PM   #104

Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
Again, if you think buying used will solve your problem...well good luck at that. My thought is to buy what you want, expecting kinks and work through them.
Nah, I expect ongoing maintenance, that comes with the territory. But I'd hope the crooked basement doors, leaky connections, and misaligned trim would have been taken care of by then.

The point I was trying to make is that before I take a suitcase of small, unmarked bills over to CW, and walk out with another depreciating asset that requires me to spend a year driving back and forth to their repair facility, I'd rather buy an older, higher end motor home that someone else has already sorted out.

If Thor were to spend a little more time on the obvious issues, I'd be more inclined to spend my money with them. But putting unfinished products on the lot is no way to earn my business. I'm not one to reward poor performance and I'm not going to support a company that expects me to do their work.
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:15 PM   #105

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: California
THOR #14439
Sorry to hear of your issues. We bought a 2018 Hurricane 35M in April, 2018 and have had a few small issues which our Camping World and Thor Support have fixed for us. We have had no problems since month 3 of ownership. Everything works every time so on the whole we are pleased and love our coach. My thoughts are no matter the RV, problems will follow to some extent. My brother (he's rich) bought a new Monaco Executive in 2007 and for the next 7 years had nothing but issue after issue with a $500,000 motorcoach. Doesn't matter what you pay. Good luck....
Old 07-09-2019, 11:27 PM   #106

THOR #14439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
i think there are two ways to think about your RV when it comes to problems. There are the serious ones like slides falling out and then there is everything else. Just last night I was working on fixing the grey line that comes from the main sink. All hobbies take time and money if you want a trouble free camping experience go to a motel. Every boat needs maintenance doesn’t matter if it’s a 180k colbalt or a 20k bayliner. Classic cars yup that’s going to cost you. Do you have a cabin yup going to cost you. Snowmobile going to cost you. I guess it just comes down to being a half full kind of person. Your going to be pissed when things happen but a lot comes down to inspecting your rig before you go.
Wow! Right on. We have had 2 Motorcoaches and 3 fifth wheels and only one had virtually not a problem; a 2003 Carriage Cameo 32 fiver. 1 for 5 dudes.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:17 AM   #107

State: Washington
THOR #13352
This thread’s content as it stands would leave any person who reads the original post and is either looking at RV’S or has just purchased a RV to wonder why their 100,000 or 400,0000 RV has left them wondering.

Is it normal that the RV they purchased was delivered with a number of problems some serious and to see if a year or two is normal to wait for a usable RV.

It doesn’t seem reasonable that if you walked into a dealer and you were told that for the price you are paying you should expect to have to deal with poor quality control and even though your chances of getting a good one is always possible, you should be on guard for any number of problems and disappointment. It’s just how we do it. We let the customers tell us about the problems and you will if lucky someday be able to go camping, that you would buy a RV ever. But that is what happens.

It’s also possible that a reader will be confused by the posts that say , well my RV is wonderful and your outlook on life needs a little sunshine and add a dose of insult to the injury of bringing home a problem RV. Especially if as one poster suggests that if slide out falls off on freeway with resulting catastrophe its minor compared to all the happy customers like me, and go on to brag about their own experience.

For those that feel problems are part of RV ownership and educated buyers know this.

Educated buyers wouldn’t buy an airplane known for problems even if it came with a parachute

Wouldn’t probably purchase a 125,000 car known for quality issues and ongoing service concerns.

For the cheerful folks please do some thoughtful research and discover what so many states attorney generals know - that the RV industry in the mainstream sells unsafe and poor quality units (if you sell a RV you own the responsibility for every nut and bolt no matter who supplied it)

The states feel their hands are tied as the RV industry as a leisure industry does not have the quality constraint imposed on regular vehicle manufactures.

When a poster has valid information and posts their concerns for others to consider you do yourself harm and others by offering your opinion that they must be mistaken. Either be silent or offer suggestions that will help. Authorities discount forums because of the lack of clear evidence.

Please do some real research and discover the true story of RV manufacture and if you don’t have any constructive help don’t post your opinion that the RV industry is fine, ‘just look at me, I love my RV.

If you have big money you can buy a very nice RV but not everyone is willing or able to these. The main stream RV industry has for years taken advantage and for those affected these kind of forums are important. That you personal experience it different isn’t helping at all.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:58 PM   #108

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmorris.75 View Post
This thread’s content as it stands would leave any person who reads the original post and is either looking at RV’S or has just purchased a RV to wonder why their 100,000 or 400,0000 RV has left them wondering.

Is it normal that the RV they purchased was delivered with a number of problems some serious and to see if a year or two is normal to wait for a usable RV.

It doesn’t seem reasonable that if you walked into a dealer and you were told that for the price you are paying you should expect to have to deal with poor quality control and even though your chances of getting a good one is always possible, you should be on guard for any number of problems and disappointment. It’s just how we do it. We let the customers tell us about the problems and you will if lucky someday be able to go camping, that you would buy a RV ever. But that is what happens.

Please do some real research and discover the true story of RV manufacture and if you don’t have any constructive help don’t post your opinion that the RV industry is fine, ‘just look at me, I love my RV.

If you have big money you can buy a very nice RV but not everyone is willing or able to these. The main stream RV industry has for years taken advantage and for those affected these kind of forums are important. That you personal experience it different isn’t helping at all.
That was awesome read...

https://media.giphy.com/media/l2Sqir...7EvS/giphy.gif
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:32 PM   #109

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
That you personal experience it different isn’t helping at all.

I have to disagree. When a post starts out with “Thor Garbage” and lists a whole lot of issues that one person had, that is a personal experience. And the tone of the post was extremely negative. I think the posts from people that are happy with their purchase/dealer are just as important as the antiThor rants. Yes, we had some problems with our unit. But Thor was responsive and gave us the names of some dealers in our area since we bought it out of state. The dealer we took it to was extremely responsive and started on the issues the same day we discovered the problem. They worked with our time frame and as a result we missed only one weekend camp out. It is important that people who are thinking about an RV purchase get all perspectives and not just the negative perspectives. Anytime someone posts on here it is from Thor personal experiences.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:00 PM   #110

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
'If you have big money you can buy a very nice RV but not everyone is willing or able to these'

This sums it up.
If you can't, don't.
Some can't, a price point is presented, some jump because it's what they can afford.
It's why a 500 dollar used car can be sold, though it barely runs. It serves a market.
It's not the best, it's not perfect, and yet every one of them sells.
You can't offer an rv that is so bad no one will buy it.

WILLINGLY WILLING, Blinded by the hype.
No advantage is taken. By selling at your price point... Advantage is given.
If a 24.1 was $300,000 due to quality control and $50 an hour craftsmen... I wouldn't have had the advantage of owning a 24.1.

My 24.1 is for sale at $750,000 and includes a lifetime, anything and everything two year warranty. All you have to do is say yes. But reality dictates it is unaffordable so most will not want my guaranteed perfect 24.1.

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it. I bought the price point I was willing to support.

The
'If you can't say something nice'
Defense
Is a last vestige when no other argument can be made.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:40 PM   #111
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
I've been silent in this thread till now...
NO ONE I have seen in this forum thinks the RV industry is 'fine' and has no issues - nor has anyone said a slide falling out is ok...
There are clearly quality control issues, build issues, etc. - and it is clearly not just a Thor issue - any brand - any price range - you will find people with issues.

But this is a forum for sharing and getting help - and most of us try to make the best of it - some certainly have more issues than others, and sorry to see that - especially those that didn't find this forum until after the purchase - and were unaware of the importance of things like the PDI and what to check - how much the dealer impacts your experience...
A thorough PDI and having items fixed BEFORE completing the sale is a huge item...
(I consider myself lucky as I didn't find this forum until after buying my 2nd RV - both Thors, and both used... I had dealers that stood behind what they sold - both times I found things after getting home and the dealer made things right... made it a good experience for me.)

We are also taking houses with wheels - and subjecting them to an 'earthquake' driving down the road - stuff will break, loosen, etc... that couldn't be found in PDI - and this is where (especially for new rigs under warranty) the dealer is the key to your happiness.

Being able to take care of things yourself certainly helps, but isn't a requirement... (I'd say the same about owning a home...)

Coming in here and second forum post by the OP (no offense Alan - just an example) saying all Thors are garbage is certainly going to get some interesting replies... as that isn't the general consensus here. (I think there is a facebook group that has that consensus if you wish...)

People here do in general try to find the positive and help owners through what they can do to use and enjoy - because that is what we can control.

Getting into an argument over industry regulation will get political.
Trying to get the industry to change while people are buying in large numbers is difficult.
Getting people to pay more to have higher quality components by default is a challenge.

At our spring 'Sunshine Rally', Thor did come and share some changes they have made/are making to try to address issues... They said good things, now need to execute and see improvements.
They spent the entire day with us - one on one with each owner that wanted time - to go over any issues we had.

Back to this thread - I'm sorry to see the issues Alan has had. It looks like he has had many items replaced - and took care of 2 major ones (floor and awning) himself...

Welcome to the forum Alan, and if you needs ideas/assistance for these or other problems, its a big part of why this forum is here.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:54 PM   #112

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:

It’s also possible that a reader will be confused by the posts that say , well my RV is wonderful and your outlook on life needs a little sunshine and add a dose of insult to the injury of bringing home a problem RV. Especially if as one poster suggests that if slide out falls off on freeway with resulting catastrophe its minor compared to all the happy customers like me, and go on to brag about their own experience.

For those that feel problems are part of RV ownership and educated buyers know this.

Educated buyers wouldn’t buy an airplane known for problems even if it came with a parachute

Wouldn’t probably purchase a 125,000 car known for quality issues and ongoing service concerns.

For the cheerful folks please do some thoughtful research and discover what so many states attorney generals know - that the RV industry in the mainstream sells unsafe and poor quality units (if you sell a RV you own the responsibility for every nut and bolt no matter who supplied it)

The states feel their hands are tied as the RV industry as a leisure industry does not have the quality constraint imposed on regular vehicle manufactures.

When a poster has valid information and posts their concerns for others to consider you do yourself harm and others by offering your opinion that they must be mistaken. Either be silent or offer suggestions that will help. Authorities discount forums because of the lack of clear evidence.

As the person that mentioned the slide, I said that was a major problem and you should be pissed. Regarding opinions that are being positive that is constructive. It’s proof that you can have problems and still enjoy your coach, they are every bit as valid as a negative opinion. I have never read anyone on here state that you have to accept poor quality infact it’s usually something along the lines of man that sucks. Here is what I would do. That helped me, when we had a leak that would not stop, I was pissed and was clear in my first post. But everyone stated that sucked gave an opinion on what they would do. Some had experienced the same problems: That helped much more then a group of pissed off people agreeing with you and keeping you in the angry bubble. There is a FB group for people that want that. Does there need to be improvements sure, but every product needs to be improved. When the manufacturers are busy trying to keep up with the newest trends and always having to add to their product line to make them more appealing quality will suffer.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:12 PM   #113
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
The thing I find interesting is the number of people that want to bash Thor or other RV manufacturers and never once mention RVIA. It is RVIA that establishes the standards to which an RV must meet to get the RVIA seal. It is RVIA that has the advocacy group that lobbies the members of the house and senate RV Caucus. It is also RVIA that states they conduct the audits to determine a manufacturers' compliance with standards.

Think about it for awhile.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:07 PM   #114
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Isn't the RVIA completely funded by the Manufacturers?
Hmmmmmmmm.......
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:51 PM   #115
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Isn't the RVIA completely funded by the Manufacturers?
Hmmmmmmmm.......
RVIA claims to be advocates for manufacturers, suppliers, dealers, aftermarket. Basically everyone but the customer.:

What does that RVIA seal really mean?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:58 PM   #116

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
My Thor has an interesting number combination on the rvia sticker.
I have the same on my license plate....
Go take a look at the rvia number for Thor....
Old 07-10-2019, 10:09 PM   #117

THOR #14439
I have. Quite often after owning 5 RV's over the last 23 yrs.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:26 PM   #118

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
RVIA is an association put together by people in the RV industry. Is does nothing to ensure products are actually safety or manufactured with any level of quality. They lobby at the state and federal levels to shield the industry from oversight.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:01 AM   #119

Model: Axis 27.7
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #12085
Bingo! It is the industry association with only one goal, that is preventing legislation, rules or regulations that would impair or reduce profits. It is solely funded by the industry, in spite any cute marketing sound bites it might offer.

While their message might appear altruistic at times, they have one goal; do as little as possible to make the highest profit. That being said, they are no different than most industry groups.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:36 AM   #120

State: North Carolina
THOR #6348
Hey me too but 31W...we got screwed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
To anyone considering buying a Thor,
Please reconsider your choice! We bought a new Thor Chateau 31L in 2015. It's the worst decision we've ever made! It has 7500 miles on it and has only made 2 trips to Florida and back, so that's all the miles. That and 4 trips to the factory for repairs! So far we've replaced the Microwave, both attic fans, 2 TVs, DVD, mud flaps, hydraulic hose, converter, lights, power cord! The awning has MILDEWED and was installed crooked causing it to not roll up all the way, and has ripped along the edge. If it's slightly windy it won't roll up on it's own! They said they replaced the motor! NOT! We bought the extended warranty, and now the floor is rotted, because of a short seal! Of course it's not covered! The fiberglass front cap has stress cracks on both sides, not covered! We paid $2100.00 for the exterior protectant and the fiberglass is faded already, and they said they will pay up to $800.00 to have someone buff it off and replace it, but we can't find anyone within a 2 hour drive to do it! No one wants to mess with it! Screws are falling out all over the Motorhome,and mouldings are falling off!
Same here plus, my toilet won’t flush down, my generator needs a new cab...long story.

Tags
thor junk