Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2019, 12:59 AM   #121

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
While I may not think "Thor is Garbage" in my opinion the view kmorris is what I have seen from outside looking in. I get some taking a position to defend Thor because of their experiences, but it is like getting upset with your Neighbor because he is pissed off with State Farm. Same hail storm comes through and State Farm sends you a check; didn't even come by the house, but your neighbor is pissed because his claim was either denied or partial payment made because they say you should have known to take prudent precaution of where you parked, or worse that only certain size hail damage is covered because you should be able to fix what State Farm considers as minor damage.

But I digress... Let me ask a hypothetical.

Assume there everyone that has posted thus far is right. What would that mean?

If Thor or Dealers went out there way to educate every consumer what all appear to accept is common knowledge that you will have issues with your new coach that may not be covered under warranty (factory or ESP), or if it is, very difficult to utilize as you may go months without access or usage or your RV.... What do you think would happen?

In my view, sales would drop, but complaints that we read from new owners would go down dramatically.

I say so, because despite all of the sad truths that I have learned, I am not deterred from buying an RV. I see Thor just as good as Winnebago or the next guy. It would be hard for me to come on this site bashing Thor because of what I know now before I buy, but for those that didn't know, I get it 100%, they have right to post their negative experiences in hopes that somebody may offer some help or assistance for resolution. We are not talking low dollar used RVs at cheap price point, we are talking brand new vehicles.

To make this personal for me, I have looked at a total of 7 brand new 27bs that I am interested in. Of the 7 based on things that I have learned from this site I would only buy 3 of the 7. Not that other's can't be repaired, but I don't care to buy a brand new with a long list of to dos. PDI for me is for minor items.

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:19 AM   #122

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
I see and hear of lots of RV problems among my racing friends. The majority are happy with units. Some of if not all of the issues stem from poor assembly/failed components. Like any other somewhat mass produced machine, there are failures. I do not know failure rate. Among the racing people I do know there are 2 unhappy, over 20 happy.

Our unit, knock on wood has met expectations. Minor repairs are all from use no premature failures yet. I do take time to look unit over carefully as it's primary purpose is towing racecar. I need it to be an appliance.

At the price point, 3 years and 24,000 miles later, we are happy with the purchase. I feel bad for those with issues. Taking the plunge on an investment like this can be very disappointing with issues.

I am not a Thor cheerleader but I can honestly say I would not hesitate to buy another Thor unit. This unit does what we need at right price with features we never expected to even use.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:12 PM   #123

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I too am very sympathetic towards folks who have major and/or ongoing issues but I’d also not hesitate to buy another Thor product if that was what I liked and could afford. We don’t hear much here from the many hundreds of thousands of Thor owners that are NOT disgusted. And it really is a good point that most Thor’s are entry level. It does make a difference.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:15 PM   #124

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
I'm also a happy Thor owner. We've been rving since 1974 many brands everything from 13ft. Scotty tear drop to 2019 Challenger. Best quality built was new 1996 Leasure Travel class B ,it cost more than our 91 Fleetwood flair class A so price point is important to quality, this challenger is second.We are fulltime but I didn't want a diesel so the challenger seemed to be as close to a diesel layout as we could find. 4000miles an 1 year still very happy,all problems have been resolved by calling Thor and either them telling me how to fix or sending me parts,or giving me name and number of part manufacturers and them walking me through fix or sending me parts. I use this forum to help others who are having a problem that I've fixed already or asking for advice myself. I don't think that bashing does anyone here any good.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:55 PM   #125

Model: hurricane 32n
THOR #4158
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapped View Post
I'm also a happy Thor owner. We've been rving since 1974 many brands everything from 13ft. Scotty tear drop to 2019 Challenger. Best quality built was new 1996 Leasure Travel class B ,it cost more than our 91 Fleetwood flair class A so price point is important to quality, this challenger is second.We are fulltime but I didn't want a diesel so the challenger seemed to be as close to a diesel layout as we could find. 4000miles an 1 year still very happy,all problems have been resolved by calling Thor and either them telling me how to fix or sending me parts,or giving me name and number of part manufacturers and them walking me through fix or sending me parts. I use this forum to help others who are having a problem that I've fixed already or asking for advice myself. I don't think that bashing does anyone here any good.
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 04:25 PM   #126

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Thor

If they built airplanes, I would already be dead!
Old 04-11-2020, 04:46 PM   #127
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
But do you think that they're the only RV manufacturer with quality control issues?
Old 04-11-2020, 05:02 PM   #128

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy1111 View Post
Thor

https://www.rvtravel.com/would-you-fly-in-a-small-plane-made-by-thor-or-forest-river/
Old 04-11-2020, 05:49 PM   #129

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
At the risk of jinxing myself, I have a 2017 31L and couldn't be happier in the last 2 yrs full timing it towing a ford ranger.

I, for one, am very disappointed they discontinued the 31L floor plan with all it's fantastic use of space. If they made a super C with this floor plan, I'd buy it in a NY heartbeat. The Jayco Grayhawk 29MV has the same floor plan but they use all dark wood and that makes it look extremely cramped. You have to aftermarket a Thor to get the J-Ride feel. I noticed the difference in a test drive and bought the Thor for the lighter wood. I don't experience the whit-knuckle ride some have shared in this forum. Not sure why.

I will not buy a Super C until they start crafting a better floor plan. Weekend warriors tend to eat out. Full timers tend to eat in. Making things more like a home than a camper really come in handy. The one short come to all the counter space is the corian countertop. It easily scratches.

Maybe you just got a lemon? It happens with automobiles too. It's true that one bad apple can spoil the bunch for some people. Others might pick through the bushel and look for that one good one.

You can probably say that for most brands these days.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:08 PM   #130

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Thor

If ANY RV manufacturer built airplains you would be dead.

It will not improve until The Japanese and Koreans come over hear and start building Rv/s then things will change.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:22 PM   #131

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post

It will not improve until The Japanese and Koreans come over hear and start building Rv/s then things will change.
As sad as it is, there's more truth to that than most would want to admit.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:25 PM   #132

THOR #13058
Quote:
Thor

Is that because you like Thor so much, you would buy whatever they make?

I didn't buy a Thor, but I damn sure tried and I tried hard. My limited experience says most issues and complaints come from the Dealers involved, their support processes, and inexperienced buyers like me not fully understanding why the support structure is so complex to get things fixed.

Dollar for Dollar, you can't beat a Thor in terms of features. I got lucky with a deal that I still don't believe they made down in Florida; so I couldn't be happier with my Winnebago (which has it share of problems too); but if you want to see my perspective on why I believe misinformation can help turn the table of opinion against Thor. Go look up ANY product that you know is ABSOLUTELY 100% well made and sold by Home Depot. Then go look at the Reviews. Focus on the NEGATIVE ones. Half you read will be by some innocent customer that may not even know how the product is suppose to work, or they may have used incorrectly but blame the mfg. Shipping box was damage etc. etc.

Don't believe me? Read a few of these for a Honda 2200 Super Quiet Generator!!!

Paul
January 8, 2020
This generator is great. It was the 4+ hours on the phone that was the worst customer service I have ever experienced. You can look back at the notes and see that I am not aggerating this. I have a Home Depot pro card and use that card at least twice a month for appliance purchases at the local store but have never used it on line or at a different store over the phone. I can assure you that I will NEVER use that card on line or over the phone again.

James
April 9, 2019
Recommended Product
This generator worked fine for a few months. Then, I cleaned the spark arrestor and discovered there was no gasket on the muffler although, there was supposed to be. Called Honda only to find there was also a recall on this unit due to a possible fuel leak and was told not to use it. That was February. Took the generator to the dealer to fix recall problem. Now it’s April. Still no parts to repair recall. I need my generator. I mean, I bought the generator so I could use it, you know? What happened to Honda quality and service? I bought this due to Honda’s reputation for reliability...but I can’t use it! So much for reliability, eh? Guess I should have purchased another brand, saved money and had a useful product.

Greg
February 12, 2019
Never started. Waited over a week for delivery and never did crank on, or even SOUND like it was trying to start. I returned it. Looking at other brands

HomeDepotCustomer
September 4, 2018
Super loud think it was the loudest on the job site

JC
July 10, 2018
Got two of these after Hurricane Maria for my family in Puerto Rico. The day that I got there the power came back on (They still have outages on and off) so they were not being used that much. After a couple of months one generator failed. There is only one Honda repair facility in the Island thinking it was still under warranty it was brought there for service but they charged over $180 dollars for something it didn't really need. I contacted Honda consumer relations and they asked me to send them the receipt! I though they would take care of it but several months went by and never got a response from them, I called them this morning and they pretty much don't give a crap about the customers. They told me that I should talk to the service facility in Puerto Rico directly (planet honda). I would not recommend this product at all and would think twice before buying another Honda product.

Denny
Leaks oil....
December 10, 2019

HomeDepotCustomer
November 12, 2019
The generator is fine the communication was very bad!

Toro
April 8, 2019
Ive owned a Honda EU300is for over 7 years and it has been a powerhouse with no problems at all, Purchased the new 2200 watt a few months ago and have been really disappointed . First it takes 4-pulls to start and then after only having 40hrs on it I get a Honda fuel valve recall on it. Now its been in the shop almost three weeks waiting on recall/repair parts..so disappointed in what has become of the once great Honda reputation.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 04-11-2020, 06:35 PM   #133

THOR #13058
Quote:
If ANY RV manufacturer built airplanes you would be dead.

C'mon Cavie

https://www.vansaircraft.com/

You get one first and let me know how it goes...
Old 04-11-2020, 07:01 PM   #134
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:

They could probably convert a Highlander into an RV that sleeps 8, has a dry bath,a washer & dryer, automatic leveling jacks, and built-in driver!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 07:06 PM   #135
Cpd

State: New Hampshire
THOR #14097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
They could probably convert a Highlander into an RV that sleeps 8, has a dry bath,a washer & dryer, automatic leveling jacks, and built-in driver!
Or the Germans. Some of their rigs are amazing!
Old 04-11-2020, 07:07 PM   #136

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpd View Post
Some of their overlanders are dope.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:23 PM   #137
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpd View Post
And some of them... aren't!
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1586633014
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1973 Thing.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	23256  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 11:30 PM   #138

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Those are actually worth more than they were new.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:43 PM   #139

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
Those are actually worth more than they were new.

Wish I had one!
Old 04-11-2020, 11:47 PM   #140
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Come to think of it: they'd make for a pretty cool Toad...

Tags
thor junk