Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2019, 12:44 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Tennessee
THOR #6584
I have been researching 5th Wheel and Class C 's for the last 9 months. I need to get a model that has different features. While my Thor FE has had some issues, its been relatively a good RV. But I am ready to sell.
In my research, I have been rather disturbed by the fact that with few exceptions (notably very High end coaches), that no manufacturer is not without problems. Owners seem to have to go back to the factory, waiting several days to weeks and then find out the problem is still there or a new problem is exposed.
All this makes me adamant that the RV Industry needs to be regulated, as much as I hate that. Without specific laws regarding Lemons, warranties, Manufacturer responsibility and other factors, this will keep happening even to those of us that have had several RVs over a long time.

I have sent a letter to my congress-person, US Senator and the state (Tennessee) representatives asking them to consider laws regulating a unregulated industry for the sake of consumers and safety. I encourage you all to do the same.

Old 07-07-2019, 04:10 PM   #62

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submansd View Post
All this makes me adamant that the RV Industry needs to be regulated, as much as I hate that. Without specific laws regarding Lemons, warranties, Manufacturer responsibility and other factors, this will keep happening even to those of us that have had several RVs over a long time.

I have sent a letter to my congress-person, US Senator and the state (Tennessee) representatives asking them to consider laws regulating a unregulated industry for the sake of consumers and safety. I encourage you all to do the same.
I agree the manufactures need to get some QC in place, but that being said, I can't tell you how much I disagree with MORE government regulation. It's nice outside and I don't have time to go into it right now, but IMHO, that's not a good idea...
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:28 PM   #63

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
This thread has lead me to believe I'm probably going to regret having conversations with about 60 percent of people who I meet in an rv park.
The perpetualness of the perpetual complaints and the victimhood worn as a badge to proudly wear, the failure to pay attention during the purchase of a vehicle... Would lead to spankings if I had such an attitude and lack of attention when I was a kid.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:10 PM   #64

State: Indiana
THOR #1360
When you purchase a new motorhome, there's an excitement and sense that all will be okay if you just buy the extended warranty and in some respects it's been a great thing! None of these problems were present or evident when we drove off the lot! My biggest complaint is the manufacturer's lack of accountibility and pointing to not doing regular maintenance (which I have done) as the cause for a huge defect!
Old 07-07-2019, 05:18 PM   #65

Model: Axis 27.7
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #12085
Golly gee!

I have had to fix a few things on my Thor, but this would not be foremost or dominate in my meeting the world. 90% of the folks I meet at RV parks don’t complain about their rigs. Instead the conversations are about fun, family, cooking and enjoying the RV life.

The forum does allow for a certain amount of letting off stream. That’s cool and good. And hey, Thor does have some quality control issues that affect some folks.

If you meet me let’s discuss cocktails and BBQ, or if you prefer, Any other topic you wish. BTW, The American women just won the World Cup !!! Outstanding !!!
Old 07-07-2019, 06:05 PM   #66

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAtrailtrimmer View Post
Golly gee!

I have had to fix a few things on my Thor, but this would not be foremost or dominate in my meeting the world. 90% of the folks I meet at RV parks don’t complain about their rigs. Instead the conversations are about fun, family, cooking and enjoying the RV life.

The forum does allow for a certain amount of letting off stream. That’s cool and good. And hey, Thor does have some quality control issues that affect some folks.

If you meet me let’s discuss cocktails and BBQ, or if you prefer, Any other topic you wish. BTW, The American women just won the World Cup !!! Outstanding !!!
Your words have been my experience so far. I was afraid of maybe I had ran through my quota of the outstanding and personable people I have met and enjoyed conversing with at the parks.

I'm just not one to not accept fault and then place blame.
I knew it was a a cut rate vehicle when I got it, be the Prevost or this Thor. No one could ever afford the lengths of quality some here express they're due.

It's a kit, a serviceable kit, that you then make your own.
Who here would balk at the $1,500 Advantium? The $3,000 inverter? Every single one of us....
We ALL settled for less(or you'd have the advantium and the $11,000 solar array)
Old 07-07-2019, 09:05 PM   #67

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
Old 07-07-2019, 10:12 PM   #68

Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #12686
Amen. The few hours that I have spent repairing issues are dwarfed compared to the many days I have enjoyed camping with my kids and grandkids or just me and the Missus (in our THOR Vegas) sharing a burger and beer with the couple parked next to us (in their Prevost). If fixing a few leaks and wires cut by screws are my worst headaches, I would say I'm living THE LIFE! Excuse me while I pour a glass of Woodford Reserve and relax watching my outdoor TV and celebrate the Women's World Cup. Thank you.
pavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:34 PM   #69
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Amen, and I agree!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 11:06 PM   #70

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Utah
THOR #12415
You need to go to the web site "pissed consumer" and tell your story!
Old 07-07-2019, 11:34 PM   #71

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squerly View Post
I agree the manufactures need to get some QC in place, but that being said, I can't tell you how much I disagree with MORE government regulation. It's nice outside and I don't have time to go into it right now, but IMHO, that's not a good idea...

Me too. I’d applaud better QC but I am adamantly opposed to government regulation of this (and most any)matter. I’ll make the best purchase decision I can and live with it. All of my RVs have had problems to one degree or another but none have been catastrophic and it’s become just another part of the adventure.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:35 PM   #72

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavemike View Post
Amen. The few hours that I have spent repairing issues are dwarfed compared to the many days I have enjoyed camping with my kids and grandkids or just me and the Missus (in our THOR Vegas) sharing a burger and beer with the couple parked next to us (in their Prevost). If fixing a few leaks and wires cut by screws are my worst headaches, I would say I'm living THE LIFE! Excuse me while I pour a glass of Woodford Reserve and relax watching my outdoor TV and celebrate the Women's World Cup. Thank you.

Nicely said!
Old 07-07-2019, 11:40 PM   #73

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAtrailtrimmer View Post
Golly gee!

Agree with this as well. Very rarely do the people I meet complain about their machines - and obviously, since they are the biggest manufacturer - many of them own Thor’s. Often I ask about issues and most acknowledge a few when new but very few are dissatisfied. And virtually all are enjoying their travels.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:18 AM   #74
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I talked to a bunch of folks this weekend: nobody talked about problems...
We mostly talked about our dogs!
Old 07-08-2019, 12:29 AM   #75
Cpd

State: New Hampshire
THOR #14097
We love our fe30. "Homey" had a few problems that were quality but didnt qualify under our extended warranty- wasn't too happy to hear that as we paid 4k for that...BUT the joy weve had traveling this beautiful country and meeting so many awesome people far outweighs any problems weve had. Came home long enough to put our house on the market. Now fulltime and headed down the road to our next adventure.

Travel safe peeps! ������
Old 07-08-2019, 02:35 AM   #76

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I keep reading posts about how people are happy to pay for poor quality or poor service because eventually they will have a good time. I wish you folks had been around before I retired. I wouldn't have had to work so hard to provide quality goods and services to my customers.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:46 AM   #77
Cpd

State: New Hampshire
THOR #14097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I keep reading posts about how people are happy to pay for poor quality or poor service because eventually they will have a good time. I wish you folks had been around before I retired. I wouldn't have had to work so hard to provide quality goods and services to my customers.
Of course we all want good quality/ services! But when this doesnt happen it's still better to look at the good side rather than just the bad... glass half full!
Old 07-08-2019, 10:53 AM   #78

Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
The motor home industry is hurting themselves in the long run.

Maybe there is enough money to be made right now that nobody cares about building a reputation based on delivering a great product. No industry can't thrive to its fullest when this many unhappy consumers gather around the water cooler and share complaints of shoddy workmanship and unfulfilled expectations.

While it might not be a severe blow to the industry, I know I will never buy a NEW coach. No way that I'm going to drop a couple hundred K just to spend the first year chasing down issues because the manufacture (whoever that may be) didn't do it right in the first place.

To be honest, I don't understanding how these companies are doing so well. I've been self employed my entire life and I know what it takes to build a successful business and then to keep it that way. Given what I've learned over the years, this RV industry is an anomaly that deviates from the standard rules of good business.

I personally would rather buy a 5-year old Newmar Vantana than to buy a brand new Thor Challenger 37tb. Both will be about the same money but the Newmar will be much nicer in every respect. And the kinks will have already been worked out for me.
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:00 PM   #79

Model: Axis 27.7
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #12085
Seriously thinking the second RV will be used, and if I am lucky, it will be from someone who regularly reads this forum and then does all the mods.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:21 PM   #80

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I am with you on this point. If RV industry wishes to market and sell only to do it yourselfers / handymen & women so be it. Too many customers have spent a good portions of their savings to learn the hard way. I have been fortunate to come across this site before buying. In a way it is blessing & curse because without the site; I would already have bought and RV. But as it is, I am learning all of the headaches and tribulations of front before I am on the road stranded with my family and with "Naut A Clue" ( my boat name by the way ) but I digress

The industry remind me of Harley Davidson before they went bankrupt, Only person that could really buy and ride Harleys where the biker mechanic types. When I bought my Harley, I didn't know flip but 1 down and 4 up, but with the dealership right around the corner from my house, the free beer anytime I want, the constant camaraderie to include for professionals with no beard and tattoo, along with a 7 years warranty for an extra $1,500 bucks was all I needed to make the plunge. I have had the bike 6 years and never had to use the warranty for anything.

There has to be a better way for the industry to learn that customer issues are real. GM Customer Support fixed my transmission in an out of warranty 2014 Camaro for $.25 cents on the dollar because common sense told them I could not have ruin the transmission with only 28,000 miles despite the 4 years having lapsed.

At current rate, when I do by an RV, if nothing goes wrong in first 2 years, I may have to return it as it may have been an anomaly defect where the percentages and lady luck played in my favor
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor junk