Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2019, 10:59 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Thanks for all the info everyone!!!

The jacks all seem to be working normally. They lower properly and stay lowered and when they retract they stay retracted. I can manually level the coach with no issues. After crawling underneath and checking each jack there are no fluid leaks so I know there is not a pressure issue due to a leak or low fluid level.

It is definitely either an issue with the pressure switch or an issue with not enough pressure being sent to the switch.

If I pull the connector out of the switch, the control panel displays Jacks Up. I can even run the Auto Level procedure and it completes normally.

This tell me the system is reading whether the switch is open or closed. That should eliminate a wire harness issue and even a controller issue.

The pressure switch is either stuck closed or there isn't enough pressure to trigger it to open.

I will take off the directional valve solenoid once it warms up a little this morning and see if I can make a couple small changes to the adjuster to see if that addresses a pressure issue.

I also have a new pressure switch arriving today so if changing the adjuster doesn't work, I'll swap out the switch.

I will keep you posted!

Old 04-02-2019, 10:59 AM   #22

THOR #12751
I tried the other pressure adjustment yesterday and it did not stop the Jacks Down message.

The new pressure switch showed up from Amazon so I was hopeful it would solve my problem.

Unfortunately, the switch was damaged and I am glad I caught it. When I looked at the threads closely it looked like the first two threads were damaged. As I looked closer, it looked like the switch was dropped and it put a small dent in the end that screws into the manifold. I got my lighted magnifying glass out an sure enough the first two threads were pinched together. Glad I caught it before trying to screw it in and end up damaging the manifold threads.

The switch was only packed in a plastic bag. My guess is someone dropped it at the warehouse ad it landed on the threads on the polished concrete floor. In any case the replacement switch is due here tomorrow.

I did spend time figuring how to get the old pressure switch out. I thought I would share what I learned in case it helps someone else because it is a bit tricky.

First, the pressure switch requires a 33mm wrench or socket. It is located on the back of the manifold between the return hydraulic line and one of the valves / solenoids in the manifold. It is also very close to the top of the fluid reservoir. It is very cramped quarters to work on the levelers in the Outlaw 29H, which also doesn't help.

There is not enough room to get a wrench on the base of the pressure switch. Because if the size of wrench needed, the sides of the wrench hit the valve and the return hydraulic line. I tried a very tiny pipe wrench I had but could not get a good grip on it.

I didn't want to have to remove the hydraulic line or the solenoid / valve. I didn't have a socket so I took the replacement switch over to my brother-in-law who is a mechanic for a local township and works on big trucks and some hydraulics.

He had a 33mm deep socket but it wasn't deep enough to fit all the way on the base of the switch because of the electrical connector on the end. The switch actually has a 2-step offset base and the socket did just make enough contact with the first step so I decided to give it a try. I was concerned because the socket was very thick and I knew it would be a tight fit with the top of the fluid reservoir and adjacent valve / solenoid.

After some careful maneuvering I was able to get the socket to make solid contact. The metal box the unit is stored in was too small for my 1/2" ratchet though. I got a 3/8" to 1/2" adapter and was able to get my 3/8" ratchet on the socket and broke it free.

I breathed a huge sigh of relief because if that didn't work I would have had to remove the return hydraulic line and solenoid to try and get a wrench on it.

Now I just have to wait for the replacement valve to arrive tomorrow.... hopefully undamaged. With all the troubleshooting I am doing. I am feeling cautiously optimistic that the pressure switch is the problem.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:32 PM   #23

THOR #12751
Success!!!!

I got the replacement pressure switch from Amazon this afternoon. This time there was a plastic cap to protect the threads on the switch. The first one they sent did not have one and you can see it had been dropped.

I pulled out the old pressure switch and installed the new one. Then I raised and lowered the jacks manually to purge any air out of the lines.

Then I manually lifted and leveled her and held my breath as I hit the Auto Retract. The jacks lifted and bottomed out and the pump shut off after a few seconds and the display read Jacks Up!!!!!!

I then let it run through Auto Level a few times and all was well.... so it looks like my troubleshooting was sound.... and thanks to the help of many of you giving me things to try and eliminate.

It saved me a trip to another dealer and a lot of lost time. Now I just need to send an e-mail to Thor to see if they will reimburse me for the new pressure switch since it was still under warranty.

Amazon was the cheapest at $115. Most places wanted $135. I know a lot of people have had success with Thor reimbursing them so I will give it a shot. even if they don', it probably would have cost me $115 in gas an tolls round trip.

Thanks again to all of you for your help!
Old 04-03-2019, 11:34 PM   #24

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Ah, the euphoria of beating that problem into submission, good job!

I was thinking about it all, other than the level sensors (of which I do not know where they are or what they look like), I believe the control button panel is where the brain part is housed.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:50 PM   #25

Model: Outlaw 29H
State: New York
THOR #15098
utter apprehension re/auto levelers

Just finished reading all the posts about the auto-levelers on a Thor 2016 29H. I'm confused and depressed, to say the least! I, too, have had some minor issues with the auto levelers, and would like to manually raise the front jacks to reduce the angle in the back to facilitate loading/unloading motorcycles, but I'm petrified as to what might happen! I have had the leveling system looked at by the dealer. Of course, I'm sure all they do is operate the system on level ground and tell me everything is OK. I don't believe them. And I would hate to lower the front jacks in the driveway and not be able to retract them when done. I'll have to do it eventually, but I should probably bookmark these threads!
Old 06-02-2019, 09:09 PM   #26

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
This is how my rig has been for the last four days. Don’t understand your concern.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E2E42B70-AA04-409D-89E9-58C952546C59.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	17847  
Old 06-02-2019, 09:55 PM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
They really should do a better job of pointing out the locations of these controllers...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote