Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2020, 03:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Tennessee
THOR #21061
Thor Quality Issue - missing trim on Four Winds 31W

Hello, new quy here with a new to me 2017 Four Winds 31W, just picked up this beast from an estate sale it was nearly unused with 2700 miles on the clock.

However some Thor quality gremlins were present. Several issues, the Axxera radio was dead (replaced with a Pioneer, radio and cameras work great now), bottom screws missing from the mud guards in front of the rear dual wheels on both sides(screws replaced). So far, worst of all some trim pieces missing from the bottom of the coach panel just behind the cab of the chassis. These missing trim pieces have allowed water to penetrate the plywood on the drivers side and cause delamination and rot across the bottom of the panel and up about 4 inches. Pictures of the panel on the drivers side (behind and below running board) are attached.

I'm looking for suggestions on fixing the panel and where to purchase the missing U shaped aluminum trim parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1946_edited.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	27001   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1945_edited.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	27002  

Old 11-02-2020, 03:58 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Welcome to the forum.

Some folks have had good luck getting parts from Total Value RV in Elkhart, IN

Good luck and enjoy the travels.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:19 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We're glad that you found us: welcome aboard!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:22 PM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
It's a standard piece of channel available in aluminum or plastic on Amazon very inexpensive. Very easy to put on very easy to purchase. No need to call Thor.

Things shaped like the part you're looking for are commonly called Channel.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:35 PM   #5

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
That’s your wing wall - the other side will probably be the same. I had the same issue with my 2017 24F. I noticed it two years after the purchase. I called Thor and they had me take it to my dealer. The dealer told Thor it was a factory mistake, Thor confirmed that some units came off the line missing the bottom trim. Thor replaced both walls at no charge to me. It might be worth the call.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:02 PM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo12 View Post
That’s your wing wall - the other side will probably be the same. I had the same issue with my 2017 24F. I noticed it two years after the purchase. I called Thor and they had me take it to my dealer. The dealer told Thor it was a factory mistake, Thor confirmed that some units came off the line missing the bottom trim. Thor replaced both walls at no charge to me. It might be worth the call.

That is the best case and I hope it happens for you. It is a common failure point and you need to be certain where the water got in and fix it. It won’t always be the most obvious possibility. Then fix the wall. Simply replacing the channel really isn’t enough - at least it wouldn’t be for me. You need to remove the rot back to good material and replace it. If you can’t do it yourself there certainly are people who can do it for you. I’d recommend you spend an hour or so on your hands and knees on the roof and on a ladder examining the walls. Make sure every single seam, fixture, window and penetration has a smooth even well bonded bead of sealant. Self leveling lap sealant on the roof and urethane caulk on the sides. Resist every impulse to use silicone. This is THE best RV forum and you’ll be glad you found it. Enjoy the ride!
Old 11-02-2020, 09:12 PM   #7

THOR #21061
Many thanks for all of the helpful replies and advice!

I have contacted Thor customer service, they directed me to my local dealer and I have an appointment to have the missing trim/lower wing rot issues reviewed, the local dealer agreed to file a complaint with their Thor rep.

I'll also have the local dealer do an oil change and inspection while it's in the shop. Unfortunately my appointment is not until early January. I'll see what Thor will do for me and report back.

Worst case I purchased the channel trim from the dealer and also purchased the plywood and adhesives to fix the issue if Thor won't fix it as a factory mistake.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:30 PM   #8

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Good. I have some factory pictures of these walls - I can't post them per dealer. They are pretty simple - 3/4" plywood clad in vinyl on the front. You can take the padded wall off on the inside of the coach and get a really good idea where the water penetration is and how far into the coach the damage is. Mine was all from the bottom - water wicking up the plywood. The inside padded wall has 6 buttons that pop off then you can remove the screws.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:32 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Glad that things are moving forward; good luck!
Old 04-18-2022, 04:54 PM   #10

Model: Four Winds 31E
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #26222
Quote:
Originally Posted by TatankaFarm View Post
Hello, new quy here with a new to me 2017 Four Winds 31W, just picked up this beast from an estate sale it was nearly unused with 2700 miles on the clock.

However some Thor quality gremlins were present. Several issues, the Axxera radio was dead (replaced with a Pioneer, radio and cameras work great now), bottom screws missing from the mud guards in front of the rear dual wheels on both sides(screws replaced). So far, worst of all some trim pieces missing from the bottom of the coach panel just behind the cab of the chassis. These missing trim pieces have allowed water to penetrate the plywood on the drivers side and cause delamination and rot across the bottom of the panel and up about 4 inches. Pictures of the panel on the drivers side (behind and below running board) are attached.

I'm looking for suggestions on fixing the panel and where to purchase the missing U shaped aluminum trim parts.
I have the same issue with the 2019 Four Winds 31E I just bought. Damaged wood only goes up a few inches. Going to mix up some bonding agent, apply and then clamp for a few days. I bought 8’ of 3/4” aluminum channel at Lowes. I’ll attach that to the uncovered edge with sealer and screws. If I don’t like the aluminum color I’ll just paint it.
Old 04-18-2022, 05:16 PM   #11

THOR #21061
My 2017 Four Winds 31W had the same issue, the laminate wood in front wings had water damage up about 10 inches. I has purchased the unit in 2019 it was used with 3K miles on it. I contacted Thor about the issue and they asked me to take it to their local authorized dealer for inspection. After many calls to Thor they finally agreed as a good will gesture to pay part of the repair bill. It took the dealer over 4 months to fixed it. As with everyone else, the culprit was the missing trim on the bottom of the wing walls. It's fixed now, but my overall impression of Thor quality is not good.

I've fixed many small issues but you can tell they just throw the units together. No more Thor products for me in the future.

Good luck!
Old 04-18-2022, 05:29 PM   #12

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
4 months to fix a problem a handyman could have fixed in a day(or a week but certainly less than 4 months) for what I'm fairly certain would have been far less money out of your pocket?

For newbs:

Warranty is not a weapon to wield.
It is a tool to use to YOUR advantage.

If there is no advantage, don't use it.

And per their previous posts the above poster bought their 2017model rv used from an estate sale at the end of 2020, making the rv potentially 4 years old at the time of purchase. He's The Op of this thread....

Signed,
A manifestation of Paul Harvey

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote