Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2018, 11:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #6333
THOR QUANTUM KM24 Sprinter battery disconnect

Been boondocking so now elec. hookup. Battery disconnect stopped working (disconnected position) and batteries won't charge thru generator. Generator will power housejust not charge house batteries. Checked all fuses, all good including battery disconnect solenoid fuse.
Batteries charge thru alternator. House will run thru inverter with battery disconnect off. Inverter plugs into shore power cord. Battery disconnect is Intellitec 01-00055-002. Stumped in Wyoming. TIA

Old 08-19-2018, 01:08 AM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Firstly I am not familiar with your coach at all but from your description it sounds like either a 50 amp cct breaker is open between the coach batteries and the coach disconnect latching relay or the latching relay itself has failed in the open position. I am attaching a basic schematic that is a generic schema for many coaches but may not be exactly what you have. It gives a basic view of how some of the systems typically connect to batteries. The other question is does your coach disconnect latching relay make a noise when you turn it on and off? That does not guarantee electrical connectivity but it is a good start to hear that operation noise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Basic Generic Battery Schematic.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	12328  
Old 08-19-2018, 01:21 AM   #3

THOR #6333
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Firstly I am not familiar with your coach at all but from your description it sounds like either a 50 amp cct breaker is open between the coach batteries and the coach disconnect latching relay or the latching relay itself has failed in the open position. I am attaching a basic schematic that is a generic schema for many coaches but may not be exactly what you have. It gives a basic view of how some of the systems typically connect to batteries. The other question is does your coach disconnect latching relay make a noise when you turn it on and off? That does not guarantee electrical connectivity but it is a good start to hear that operation noise.
Battery disconnect used to click but doesnt now. I have 30amp service, but I assume you mean the main 30a breaker in the box. I have tripped and reset the breakers multiple times to no avail. I have a bluetooth doongle that monitors input and output at the batteries. Shows 13.7v charging off the alternator, batteries charge to 12.7v ish. Ken
Old 08-19-2018, 01:38 AM   #4

THOR #2631
Hi, well the 30 amp service refers to the AC power connections to your coach from a shore power connection. My posted generic diagram mainly applies to the DC battery connections only. So for example the generator is shown on the diagram, but only the DC (battery) connection to the generator which is used to start the generator. The AC (110VAC) output of the generator is not shown on the diagram.....but it powers the battery charger (converter) for your coach when the generator is running correctly. Your converter (battery charger) DC output feeds the DC fuse panel (shown on right side of the diagram). The latching relay and 50 Amp cct breaker are shown on the right side of the diagram. Note again this is a generic diagram and your coach may use a different approach......but it might help you visualize your problem. No sound from the coach battery latching relay likely indicates it is the problem .....or its control circuitry.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:48 AM   #5

THOR #6333
Quote:
Hi, well the 30 amp service refers to the AC power connections to your coach from a shore power connection. My posted generic diagram mainly applies to the DC battery connections only. So for example the generator is shown on the diagram, but only the DC (battery) connection to the generator which is used to start the generator. The AC (110VAC) output of the generator is not shown on the diagram.....but it powers the battery charger (converter) for your coach when the generator is running correctly. Your converter (battery charger) DC output feeds the DC fuse panel (shown on right side of the diagram). The latching relay and 50 Amp cct breaker are shown on the right side of the diagram. Note again this is a generic diagram and your coach may use a different approach......but it might help you visualize your problem. No sound from the coach battery latching relay likely indicates it is the problem .....or its control circuitry.
Understood. Thanks. Will have to recheck in the morning.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:10 AM   #6

THOR #2631
A multimeter is very useful for tracking these kinds of problems. Someone with more knowledge of your coach specifics may be able to advise you where specific devices are located which sometimes causes more grief finding than the actual problem. There are also generic Intellitec Battery Control Schematics available which show more detail. Good luck with your testing.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:55 PM   #7

THOR #6333
Problem mostly solved.
Called intellitec about 12v disconnect solenoid. Pretty much no help. They got stumped when the rocker switch had 6 leads instead of 4. Said to call manufacturer. Called Thor. They indicated to check and reset 100 amp breaker located near the house batteries. Spent an hour looking. No 100 amp breaker. It's in their wiring diagram. Where the breaker should have been were 3 heavy wire connected directly. It did get me thinking that there was fuse/breaker I had missed. Turns out intellitec has a separate but included breaker that sits next to the solenoid. Found it completely
by luck. Saw a teeny little black protrusion on the box with 4 posts. Instinctively reached to touch. It pushed in and 12v power restored. In the photo it is the little black dot at the end of the red bulb syringe. The model# for the solenoid is
01-00055-002.Click image for larger version

Name:	1534794326734.jpeg
Views:	161
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	12351
Old 08-20-2018, 08:41 PM   #8

THOR #2631
Congrats on your continued deciphering of your electrical system. The one good thing about having these problems (if you troubleshoot them yourself) is, you learn a lot about what you have; where it is located and how it is connected.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:11 PM   #9

THOR #6333
Quote:
Congrats on your continued deciphering of your electrical system. The one good thing about having these problems (if you troubleshoot them yourself) is, you learn a lot about what you have; where it is located and how it is connected.
Thanks for kicking in with the help and schematic. Interestingly enough the steps starting working again too. They had quit a couple of days before the disconnect. Went from this [emoji12] to this [emoji4] even tho it took 4 days.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:45 AM   #10

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
If you want something to work on all the time, buy a RV