Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2022, 05:17 PM   #1
CLG

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: British Columbia
THOR #16056
Out of two year storage

Took the ACE out of storage, and did an initial cleaning. I filled the black water tank, grey water tank, and fresh water tank. Not sure why, it just seemed like a go idea. I’ll go out to the dump station and drain out.
I had the oil changed and chassis serviced all was good. Added rear track bar, rear sway bar, and steering damper.
Still needs interior cleaning and a little polishing to clean up paint oxidation. Any suggestions or advice so I don’t damage the decals would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05C4BE4A-CB55-433D-9479-0D59F4262E6B.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	39263   Click image for larger version

Name:	22440B6E-6904-4B7C-A49B-C907DC29C39A.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	39264  

Click image for larger version

Name:	99A734F0-AE6D-47FD-83D0-82B4552E1493.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	39265   Click image for larger version

Name:	21AD5951-1845-4D1E-866D-77194C0F9BD5.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	39266  

Old 08-28-2022, 05:39 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
From what I have heard do not apply wax to the decals and also do not wash the decals with Dawn dish soap.

Paul
Old 08-28-2022, 05:50 PM   #3

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
How old our your tires.
Old 08-28-2022, 05:55 PM   #4
CLG

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #16056
Tires are 2013. There is slight cracks on one tire. There is still good tread. There are less than 22,000 miles on them. They are good for for another year anyway.
Old 08-28-2022, 06:01 PM   #5

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLG View Post
Tires are 2013. There is slight cracks on one tire. There is still good tread. There are less than 22,000 miles on them. They are good for for another year anyway.
If there are slight cracks and it’s been sitting I wouldn’t be driving on those. Those are just the cracks you see. If you are just going to put it back into storage then you are good. But I wouldn’t be taking it on any trips.
Old 08-28-2022, 06:33 PM   #6

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Is that the year you put them on or the date code on the tire sidewall? Either way they're 9+ years old & been parked for 2 years, if you plan on taking a trip I'd replace the tires yesterday, if just going back into storage leave those on & replace later.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 07:11 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
9 year old tires, replace them without further discussion from anyone except a tire engineer.

Your life depends on it.
Old 08-28-2022, 07:30 PM   #8

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Should you be planning on traveling, new tires on the steering axle for certain

The rest should be checked by a good tire shop and the best of the lot used for maybe a couple more years

Michelins are run up to 10 years if they inspect OK, however SOB's typically come off by 7 years from date code if not sooner
Old 08-28-2022, 07:40 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Tires first, but to your question on Oxidation.

See this thread by the Chateau Nomad https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8...log-28631.html

My recommendation

1. Wash RV with Gel Gloss RV Wash & Wax ( I do after every trip)
2. Treat decals and rubber window trim with 303 Protectant ( I do about 6 times per year ( 15 min each time)
3. Wax entire RV with Meguiars #56 Pure RV & Boat Wax ( I do twice a year at about 5 hours each time)
4. For Oxidation areas follow the instructions to link provided ( I have no oxidation yet)
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 07:47 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
From what I have heard do not apply wax to the decals and also do not wash the decals with Dawn dish soap.

Paul

Given you are going to wash a very large RV, why not use a very good wash and wax solution. I don't wash any part of my RV with Dawn. I use Gel Gloss RV Wash & Wax for everything and often.

Wax on decal is kind of tricky. You should not put wax on decals but it is assumed you will treat the decals otherwise. I use 303 every two months. Ironically the decals look their best when I apply another coat, it takes awhile for it to work into the vinyl. My biggest fear of wax on decals is the effort of buffing to get it off, the was can dry and be brittle. But wax over decals is better than the person that does nothing at all.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 10:02 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
I would do the wash and wax with a concentrate from the auto section of your favorite big box. I don't wax my coach, I just use the wash/wax concentrate before and after every trip. But do the roof first. Keeping your roof clean helps keep the sides clean.

Don't forget to treat the rubber seals around any slide or window. I use a silicone spray, again from the local big box.

As to the tires, the minimum I would do is to put new ones on the steer axle and then the four best inspected ones on the duals. I would repeat this next year and again the following year.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 12:22 AM   #12

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Everything everyone said about tires is true...replace them...period. There was a recent post here about an owner that had a blowout on a steering tire. It took out about a 4' square area of everything in the front of coach. Second, replace all the batteries in chassis and coach, third...plan a weekend somewhere very close to home and test everything you can multiple times. Boats, wives and RV's do not like being left alone for that long of a period.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 06:48 PM   #13

Model: Sprinter four winds
State: Georgia
THOR #14780
Quote:
Don’t count on the tread, most tires never use up the tread. I would not drive with my tires over five years old it’s not worth a bad tire experience.
Old 09-03-2022, 07:32 PM   #14

THOR #9668
What to look for

Look for mice and rats nests under your MH and in the engine compartments. It could catch fire if it is located in the hot area.

_______
Took the ACE out of storage, and did an initial cleaning. I filled the black water tank, grey water tank, and fresh water tank. Not sure why, it just seemed like a go idea. I’ll go out to the dump station and drain out.
I had the oil changed and chassis serviced all was good. Added rear track bar, rear sway bar, and steering damper.
Still needs interior cleaning and a little polishing to clean up paint oxidation. Any suggestions or advice so I don’t damage the decals would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]