Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2021, 01:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Fourwinds
State: Florida
THOR #25115
2014 Fourwinds

I’m trying to clean out the A/C ducts. The main vent has dirty fins and it’s hard to get into that tight area. I don’t want to damage the fins and would like some suggestions on how everyone cleans them. Also, is there any maintenance on the unit that’s on the roof as far cleaning or lubing goes.

Old 11-08-2021, 01:54 PM   #2

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
When you say dirty fins in the main vent, I assume you mean the evaporator?
If you remove the A/C cover on the roof you can get access to the evaporator and condenser to clean them. You can gently vacuum the fins/coils with a soft brush attachment, being very careful not to bend the fins. You can also use some evaporator cleaner spray, then rinse with water from a spray bottle.

There are youtube videos showing how to do this. Just search for RV A/C maintenance.

Here is the evaporator cleaner spray. Even though it says no rinse, I rinsed using water from a spray bottle.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-08-2021, 02:35 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Coleman Mach Airxcel instructions for my roof unit specifically states that the only maintenance needed is (as jabrabu stated above) - gently clean any debris that may be blocking air flow between the fins, then GENTLY straighten any bent fins as needed.

There is NO field lubrication of any type needed. They recommend AGAINST lubricating any bearings/shafts unless in EXTREME situations... and then ONLY by a professional technician. Also, the units CANNOT be repaired/recharged with coolant if there is a leak.

Long story short, the basic cleaning and straightening of bent fins is all that's needed for the rooftop unit. NOTE: Although not A/C maintenance, it's a good idea to check the roof sealant around the rooftop unit for cracks and re-seal to prevent any potential leaks.

As for the interior unit, just remove and wash the filters on the main unit in soapy water as needed. The plastic duct "deflectors" can be removed and washed. The actual ductwork is styrofoam... which can be damaged if you get too aggressive in trying to clean it. If the ducts have been allowed to get NASTY dirty (due to not keeping the main filters clean), you may be limited in your options.
Old 11-08-2021, 02:48 PM   #4

THOR #25115
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
When you say dirty fins in the main vent, I assume you mean the evaporator?
If you remove the A/C cover on the roof you can get access to the evaporator and condenser to clean them. You can gently vacuum the fins/coils with a soft brush attachment, being very careful not to bend the fins. You can also use some evaporator cleaner spray, then rinse with water from a spray bottle.

There are youtube videos showing how to do this. Just search for RV A/C maintenance.

Here is the evaporator cleaner spray. Even though it says no rinse, I rinsed using water from a spray bottle.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Found a good video. Looks easier than I thought it was gonna be. Many Thanks
Old 11-08-2021, 02:49 PM   #5

THOR #25115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Coleman Mach Airxcel instructions for my roof unit specifically states that the only maintenance needed is (as jabrabu stated above) - gently clean any debris that may be blocking air flow between the fins, then GENTLY straighten any bent fins as needed.

There is NO field lubrication of any type needed. They recommend AGAINST lubricating any bearings/shafts unless in EXTREME situations... and then ONLY by a professional technician. Also, the units CANNOT be repaired/recharged with coolant if there is a leak.

Long story short, the basic cleaning and straightening of bent fins is all that's needed for the rooftop unit. NOTE: Although not A/C maintenance, it's a good idea to check the roof sealant around the rooftop unit for cracks and re-seal to prevent any potential leaks.

As for the interior unit, just remove and wash the filters on the main unit in soapy water as needed. The plastic duct "deflectors" can be removed and washed. The actual ductwork is styrofoam... which can be damaged if you get too aggressive in trying to clean it. If the ducts have been allowed to get NASTY dirty (due to not keeping the main filters clean), you may be limited in your options.

Thanks for the reply. I’ll have to check on the lube maintenance
Old 11-08-2021, 02:50 PM   #6

THOR #25115
Quote:
Originally Posted by burch View Post
Thanks for the reply. I’ll have to check on the lube maintenance

I just resealed everything so that should be ok