Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2022, 06:28 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #13703
Latches on exterior tv door are stuck

Hi my latches are stuck and I want to take them off to clean and lube them. I sprayed lube on them as best I could but it did not help. I cannot seem to get them off does anyone know how to remove them or have a video on how to remove them. Applying lube is not working I must remove them. Thanks

Old 10-16-2022, 12:06 PM   #2

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
I've never done that, but I would believe the door needs open to take them off.

Do you have the compartment open?
I am thinking you don't, so the PB Blaster like you are doing, would be my first route of access.
If so...
Maybe wiggling the latch turn handles with pliers, for leverage, while holding some pressure on the door closing it, might work. I just would not go "ape" muscling it because you don't want to break anything.
Old 10-16-2022, 01:09 PM   #3

Model: Challenger
State: Maryland
THOR #25281
Quote:
Originally Posted by druganjk@gmail.com View Post
Hi my latches are stuck and I want to take them off to clean and lube them. I sprayed lube on them as best I could but it did not help. I cannot seem to get them off does anyone know how to remove them or have a video on how to remove them. Applying lube is not working I must remove them. Thanks
A picture could help a lot. My latches on my Thor open inwards and if there is something laying on the ledge behind the latches they will not open. Good luck
Old 10-16-2022, 02:55 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
At least provide year make, make and model?

Have you verified the keys are good? Keys wear and over time will not work. I have replaced my compartment keys with OEM replacement to ensure they were new. Put two of the same keys side by side and you may see the problem. It was easy fix.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 10:01 PM   #5

Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
I (literally) just went through this last week. I tried every spare key I had, as well as the original - the latch wouldn't budge, and applying more pressure was starting to bend the key. I ultimately drilled through the center of the lock, starting with a small drill bit, and then a few sizes bigger. This (obviously) destroys the cylinder and pins, but I then put a screwdriver in the slot and was able to turn the latch until it opened.

As it turned out, I had my heavy socket set and impact wrenches in that compartment, and they shifted during travel and were right up against the latch mechanism.

I had already decided to replace all of the (old) compartment locks with new tubular keys to replace the common CH751 keys.
Old 10-16-2022, 11:34 PM   #6

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocP View Post
I (literally) just went through this last week. I tried every spare key I had, as well as the original - the latch wouldn't budge, and applying more pressure was starting to bend the key. I ultimately drilled through the center of the lock, starting with a small drill bit, and then a few sizes bigger. This (obviously) destroys the cylinder and pins, but I then put a screwdriver in the slot and was able to turn the latch until it opened.

As it turned out, I had my heavy socket set and impact wrenches in that compartment, and they shifted during travel and were right up against the latch mechanism.

I had already decided to replace all of the (old) compartment locks with new tubular keys to replace the common CH751 keys.
U may need to get some of those Fisher Price socket sets and tools at Wal Mart What a story... would have been a nightmare for most, but you seem very capable

I found that Dealers keep those common keys together and they use them all time locking and unlocking RV doors and compartments. Then when you buy a new RV, it is a crapshoot on how new those common keys really are? I was lucky. I had same problem and could not open my TV compartment. I did the PB Blaster stuff and no luck. Tried a spare key and presto!!! Then looked at them both and saw why. The OEM spare keys were cheap.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 07:34 PM   #7

Model: Sprinter four winds
State: Georgia
THOR #14780
Quote:
Try turning your key while bumping the area around the lock and see if it’s something that you can dislodge, often things shift in the bays and can wedge your lock . Good luck.
Old 10-29-2022, 08:41 PM   #8

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
At least provide year make, make and model?

Have you verified the keys are good? Keys wear and over time will not work. I have replaced my compartment keys with OEM replacement to ensure they were new. Put two of the same keys side by side and you may see the problem. It was easy fix.
2018 Miramar 35.3
Old 10-29-2022, 11:57 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
2018 Miramar 35.3
Why bother digging for that information if the OP doesn't care enough to even come back to the forum since he posted the question.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 12:25 AM   #10

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Why bother digging for that information if the OP doesn't care enough to even come back to the forum since he posted the question.
Many people on here never come back after asking a question
Old 02-13-2023, 10:54 AM   #11

THOR #13703
The keys are good I need to replace them but they won’t come out.
Old 02-13-2023, 03:18 PM   #12
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
The keys are good I need to replace them but they won’t come out.
So your TV door has two turn latches and one key latch? Are all 3 stuck?
Old 02-13-2023, 08:50 PM   #13

THOR #13703
Just the 2 are stuck

The key works fine the other 2 are stuck, I got them to move with pliers but they need to be replaced but they won’t come out.
Thanks
Old 02-13-2023, 09:11 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
The key works fine the other 2 are stuck, I got them to move with pliers but they need to be replaced but they won’t come out.
Thanks
You got them to move with pliers? Turned them 90 degrees? Door opens? To remove them you have to remove the swing catch with a screwdriver and then remove the capture nut so they side out of the front of the door. I don't really know what you mean by "they won’t come out".