Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-06-2023, 02:23 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany xte 34st
State: California
Posts: 11
THOR #3021
Thor Tuscany diesel- cracked exhaust manifold

My Tuscany is at a Freightliner shop for repair of an extremely loud noise at the rear of the coach (diesel pusher) when idling. It goes away when I place it in drive.

Freightliner just called and said my exhaust manifold was cracked and quoted $4700 to replace it.

Any idea how I could crack an exhaust manifold on a diesel pusher class A?

__________________
Kminor28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 02:44 AM   #2
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
Posts: 7,858
THOR #1469
New, used, age, mileage?
__________________
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 03:21 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany xte 34st
State: California
Posts: 11
THOR #3021
2016 with 36K miles on it. All regular maintenance performed.
__________________
Kminor28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 03:25 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
saddlesore's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
Posts: 890
THOR #3916
Normally caused by warpage.
This could be caused by not allowing the engine to "Cool Down" a couple of minutes after a hard pull, before shutting the engine down. [quite common on the early GM gas big blocks And [Early 855 block] Cummins Diesels.]
__________________
current coach
An SOB called Foretravel
former coach
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 03:30 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany xte 34st
State: California
Posts: 11
THOR #3021
Thanks. Makes sense.
__________________
Kminor28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 03:42 AM   #6
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
Posts: 7,858
THOR #1469
7 years old, my guess would be metal fatigue. Exhaust manifolds are usually cast metal components and the overall thickness and quality of the cast can vary from part to part.
__________________
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 03:54 AM   #7
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 11,357
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kminor28 View Post
My Tuscany is at a Freightliner shop for repair of an extremely loud noise at the rear of the coach (diesel pusher) when idling. It goes away when I place it in drive.

Freightliner just called and said my exhaust manifold was cracked and quoted $4700 to replace it.

Any idea how I could crack an exhaust manifold on a diesel pusher class A?
Might want to check for quotes elsewhere. $4700 to replace an exhaust manifold? Does that include new turbo units as well?
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 04:02 AM   #8
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
Posts: 7,858
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Might want to check for quotes elsewhere. $4700 to replace an exhaust manifold? Does that include new turbo units as well?
Iíll bet 1k of that quote is the Class A diesel pusher surcharge.
__________________
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 01:31 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
RACarvalho's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2021 Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
Posts: 454
THOR #19887
What Saddlesore said above is the cause and it is called "Hot shut down", it not only affects the exhaust but also reduce the life of the turbo...

As for cost, $250 for the manifold, $60 for gaskets plus $300 for labor and the rest is "rich guy with a diesel pusher" surcharge...

It is not a difficult job.
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 02:18 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
Posts: 1,399
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
What Saddlesore said above is the cause and it is called "Hot shut down", it not only affects the exhaust but also reduce the life of the turbo...

As for cost, $250 for the manifold, $60 for gaskets plus $300 for labor and the rest is "rich guy with a diesel pusher" surcharge...

It is not a difficult job.
Those numbers look way too low. Admittedly, $4,700 looks high but not as high as the above numbers look low. I would have guessed about $3,000.

David
__________________
DavidEM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 02:31 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
RACarvalho's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2021 Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
Posts: 454
THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Those numbers look way too low. Admittedly, $4,700 looks high but not as high as the above numbers look low. I would have guessed about $3,000.

David
Exhaust Manifold:
https://www.fridayparts.com/exhaust-...la-us-all-8.13
Gasket:
https://dieselpro.com/cummins-exhaus...sket-4283.html

Need to check the correct part number but will not fall far from this...
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 02:45 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
The Gritz Carlton's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
Posts: 5,069
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Iíll bet 1k of that quote is the Class A diesel pusher surcharge.
I worked for a commercial truck dealership years ago...they literally hated to see motorhomes...especially the A's...pull into the service area. Access to the engine normally required disassembling lots of non-chassis parts and pieces. They always quoted like the didn't want the job but rejoiced if their price was accepted. I've seen entire bedrooms and cabinetry have to be removed for access to engine. 3 to 4 times what the same repair would be to an engine mounted in the front of a regular work truck.
__________________
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 03:22 PM   #13
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
Posts: 7,858
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I worked for a commercial truck dealership years ago...they literally hated to see motorhomes...especially the A's...pull into the service area. Access to the engine normally required disassembling lots of non-chassis parts and pieces. They always quoted like the didn't want the job but rejoiced if their price was accepted. I've seen entire bedrooms and cabinetry have to be removed for access to engine. 3 to 4 times what the same repair would be to an engine mounted in the front of a regular work truck.
Thatís whatís nice about my Super C, I pay truck rates and not Motorhome rates. Last LOF service was 200.00 more for a Class A DP with the same engine.
__________________
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 04:00 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
Posts: 1,399
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
Exhaust Manifold:
https://www.fridayparts.com/exhaust-...la-us-all-8.13
Gasket:
https://dieselpro.com/cummins-exhaus...sket-4283.html

Need to check the correct part number but will not fall far from this...
Isnít that Cummins manifold water jacketed for a DP, just like in a boat?

David
__________________
DavidEM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 04:01 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
Posts: 1,039
THOR #9178
The Oasis dealerships, and others that specialize in DP's, have pits with various sliding platforms that they use to access the engine. Combined with the hatch open in motor homes you can get most of the needed work done.

There are some without the access and I can see it being quite a job.

Back when my alternator failed at 15k it took the technician all of 20 minutes to exchange it from the bottom using the pit.

No doubt FRED'S make a lot of sense regarding easier access.

Searching IRV2 might give the OP a feel for what others are or have paid.
__________________
lwmcguir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 07:20 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
simidrm's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
Posts: 341
THOR #12726
What engine?
I can see that price as that requires removing the turbo, draining coolant, and all the gaskets and o-rings that are required in that job not to mention the marmon exhaust clamp if it breaks, my question is why did the manifold crack ? Loose motor mounts allowing engine to torque against the exhaust, exhaust temps to high from turbo or air to air cooler, also I would ask to see the manifold because there is a stainless accordion style tube off the egr valve that do go bad more often, just above the manifold but a lot cheaper to replace.
__________________
simidrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 09:30 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
Posts: 1,039
THOR #9178
Isl9
__________________
lwmcguir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 11:57 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
The Gritz Carlton's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
Posts: 5,069
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Thatís whatís nice about my Super C, I pay truck rates and not Motorhome rates. Last LOF service was 200.00 more for a Class A DP with the same engine.

A huge consideration when we decided on the Super C vs the Palazzo. Same floor plan but the truck part stuck out the front...not buried under the coach construction. Equally, why I recently went with the Sprinter chassis...everything chassis sticks out the front and stands on its own. I wouldn't buy an A class for any amount of discounted money.
__________________
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 03:50 AM   #19
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger LX
State: South Carolina
Posts: 24
THOR #12124
Cracked exhaust manifold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kminor28 View Post
My Tuscany is at a Freightliner shop for repair of an extremely loud noise at the rear of the coach (diesel pusher) when idling. It goes away when I place it in drive.

Freightliner just called and said my exhaust manifold was cracked and quoted $4700 to replace it.

Any idea how I could crack an exhaust manifold on a diesel pusher class A?
More than likely the manifold cracked due to overheating. When you make a hard climb or work the engine hard for an extended period of time, you can not keep your foot in it. The exhaust temperature rises very fast say climbing up a mountain. Most diesel engines have a pyrometer to measure the exhaust temp. It should not exceed 11/1200 degrees for extended periods.
__________________
SteveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2