Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2018, 11:25 PM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
No problem. 4 years is pretty old for a RV battery. If your RV is in storage most of the winter you could wait till spring but I would seriously consider replacing very soon.

This will give you time to figure out the best battery option for you.
I agree replace after winter. Having bad batteries takes all the joy out of the RV.

Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:38 PM   #22

Model: Four Winds
State: Georgia
THOR #8717
If possible, I would like to wait until spring. I've already started trying to determine what to use for the replacement batteries. Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks!
Dan
Old 12-05-2018, 12:03 AM   #23
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Our house battery went after two years. I'm still on the Motorcraft chassis battery (4+ years).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:33 PM   #24

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny boy View Post
If possible, I would like to wait until spring. I've already started trying to determine what to use for the replacement batteries. Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks!
Dan
Well do your research. If it was me I would go with AGM all the way.

I like my Full River 6v AGM for the house batteries. Not sure what I would choose for the engine battery - whatever was rated best with the most CCA I guess.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:36 PM   #25

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Our house battery went after two years. I'm still on the Motorcraft chassis battery (4+ years).
Is that AGM? 4 years is good. Keep your eye on that one.... You might sqeeze 5 years out of it (I have on many cars) but they usually give out on you when you least expect it so thats no fun.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 12-06-2018, 01:27 PM   #26

THOR #8717
After charging the coach batteries for 7 hours yesterday, there was no change in the battery status on the panel. I will try to wait until spring to replace.

One last question...does the chassis battery charge when plugged into shore power or just when the engine is running?

Thanks!
Dan
Old 12-06-2018, 04:24 PM   #27

THOR #12231
Quote:
After charging the coach batteries for 7 hours yesterday, there was no change in the battery status on the panel. I will try to wait until spring to replace.

One last question...does the chassis battery charge when plugged into shore power or just when the engine is running?

Thanks!
Dan
On most coaches the chassis and coach battieries will charge when plug in and the switch by the door is turned on (or use).
Old 12-06-2018, 04:50 PM   #28

THOR #8717
On our coach, the "panel" shows the battery charging when hooked-up to shore power regardless of whether the "use" switch is on or not.

Dan
Old 12-06-2018, 05:35 PM   #29

THOR #12231
Quote:
On our coach, the "panel" shows the battery charging when hooked-up to shore power regardless of whether the "use" switch is on or not.

Dan
Ok, thats good. Mine dont show anything (black switch with use and Store on it) but when I hook my multi meter up the coach battiery it will only charge when on (use).
Old 12-06-2018, 10:45 PM   #30

THOR #8717
I learned something new today. When hooked up to shore power, the "use" switch has to be on for the battery to charge even though the panel shows "charging" when the switch is off. I charged the battery for several hours yesterday with the switch "off" and there was no change in the status of the batteries. I did the same thing today, but with the "use" switch on and the coach batteries now show a full charge. Also, the radio issue I started this thread with is no longer a problem. I think the radio would not work because the coach batteries were so low and it caused the breaker to pop.

Thanks!
Dan
Old 12-07-2018, 01:41 PM   #31

THOR #12231
Quote:
I learned something new today. When hooked up to shore power, the "use" switch has to be on for the battery to charge even though the panel shows "charging" when the switch is off. I charged the battery for several hours yesterday with the switch "off" and there was no change in the status of the batteries. I did the same thing today, but with the "use" switch on and the coach batteries now show a full charge. Also, the radio issue I started this thread with is no longer a problem. I think the radio would not work because the coach batteries were so low and it caused the breaker to pop.

Thanks!
Dan
Im glad you figured it out Dan.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:49 PM   #32

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Massachusetts
THOR #7179
Radio problem

I had a Jensen in my Hurricane. The fuse for it was located in a fuse box next to the drivers left foot. There was also a fuse located in the back of the radio. You need to remove the radio to access this fuse.