Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2018, 04:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds
State: Georgia
THOR #8717
Thor Vegas 25.2 - Radio Problem

I was driving our 25.2 Vegas, heard a "pop" and the radio quit working. I can't get it to come back on and was wondering if anyone had encountered a similar problem? I was thinking it could be a fuse and was wondering where the fuse that controls the radio is located on this RV?

Thanks,
Dan

Old 12-03-2018, 04:49 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
If you heard the "pop" it may be more than a fuse as you can't hear much over the noise the V-10 makes LOL.

With the failure being audible I would suspect that the fuse at the back of the radio blew. Pull the radio out of the dash and look behind it. (There are other fuses for the radio but they would be buried elsewhere depending on the year of your coach.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:56 PM   #3

THOR #8717
Can you point me to a manual on how to remove the radio? Also, it is not just the radio, but the whole display, radio, backup camera, etc. The RV is a 2015 model.

Thanks!
Dan
Old 12-03-2018, 06:28 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny boy View Post
Can you point me to a manual on how to remove the radio? Also, it is not just the radio, but the whole display, radio, backup camera, etc. The RV is a 2015 model.

Thanks!
Dan
Yes your correct, Its a big multi function unit.

I have not looked at mine but I wonder if the plastic that surround the radio just pops up allowing accesss to screws?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:44 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
It depends on the radio. For the Jensen's there are two "hoops" of metal (kind of like metal hangers) that you push into four holes (two on each side) after popping off the trim.

Other radios use two flat pieces of metal that slide into holes on either side (also revealed after popping off the trim piece).

In either case the proper tools should be included in your Thor bag.

If you get the tools in the slots/holes properly the radio just pops right out of the dash.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:58 PM   #6

THOR #12231
Good to know...... Jamiegeek to the rescue - Again. LOL.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 12-03-2018, 08:12 PM   #7

THOR #4735
the 'hoop' removal tools are the way to go, if you have the Jensen RV unit that many Thor's do... don't try to remove it any other way or you'll probably do damage, and experience aggravation!
There may be a fuse behind the unit(yes, probably will be), and there should also be a fuse in your HOUSE 12v panel that allows power to the radio unit, even when you have the engine off and the key removed, as the radio is powered by the HOUSE 12v system, not the chassis's.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:01 PM   #8

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
the 'hoop' removal tools are the way to go, if you have the Jensen RV unit that many Thor's do... don't try to remove it any other way or you'll probably do damage, and experience aggravation!
There may be a fuse behind the unit(yes, probably will be), and there should also be a fuse in your HOUSE 12v panel that allows power to the radio unit, even when you have the engine off and the key removed, as the radio is powered by the HOUSE 12v system, not the chassis's.
Is that the technical name? "Hoop removal Tool" LOL. Might also be called "DIN" radio removal tool or "Super awesome Thor Radio Tool" LOL.

I might purchase one to have on hand "Just in case". I already have a wide assortment of fuses on hand.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:06 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
If you want to see the hoop tools. They sell them @ the big box Auto Parts stores.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:09 PM   #10

THOR #8717
I plugged it up to shore power and everything works - radio, cameras, etc. So, the issue is only occurring when using the chassis battery, it would seem. Where is the HOUSE 12v system located on the 2015 25.2? I know there are fuses in the outside storage area below the driver's window. Is that it?

Thanks!
Dan
Old 12-04-2018, 12:16 AM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
If it only works when plugged in either your use/store switch is in "store" or the breaker on your house battery has tripped.

First try the use/store switch if that doesn't do it then look in the battery compartment under the step for a breaker (you'll see a yellow "flag" push it back in to reset the breaker).
Old 12-04-2018, 12:34 AM   #12

THOR #8717
The breaker for the house battery must have tripped because the use/store switch is in "use" mode. The coach batteries are low right now and need to be charged, possibly replaced. Could that have had any bearing on the breaker needing to be reset?

I'll find and try the breaker you suggested in the morning. Thanks JamieGeek and to everyone for all of the responses!
Dan
Old 12-04-2018, 02:40 PM   #13

THOR #8717
I checked and there is no breaker with a yellow "flag" to reset as described.

Thanks!
Dan
Old 12-04-2018, 05:34 PM   #14

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #5820
Quote:
I checked and there is no breaker with a yellow "flag" to reset as described.

Thanks!

Dan

Yes there is, it is hard to see but it should be to the left of your left battery as you are facing the steps going into the coach.......
Old 12-04-2018, 05:44 PM   #15

THOR #8717
Ok, thank you! I will check again.

Dan
Old 12-04-2018, 08:43 PM   #16

THOR #8717
I found the "yellow" breaker and reset it. I was able to turn on the radio, but when I tried to adjust the radio (volume or change station) it went off again and off course the breaker was tripped again. My coach batteries are very low (one light on the panel) and they will not charge. I had the coach plugged up to shore power today for 5 hours and the status of the batteries has not changed. Is the inability to charge the batteries related to the breaker tripping? Also, there is a red button located above the "yellow" breaker. What is it for?

Thanks for all of the help!
Dan
Old 12-04-2018, 08:56 PM   #17

THOR #4735
RED is to trip the breaker, YELLOW is to reset it
Old 12-04-2018, 10:21 PM   #18

THOR #12231
Quote:
I found the "yellow" breaker and reset it. I was able to turn on the radio, but when I tried to adjust the radio (volume or change station) it went off again and off course the breaker was tripped again. My coach batteries are very low (one light on the panel) and they will not charge. I had the coach plugged up to shore power today for 5 hours and the status of the batteries has not changed. Is the inability to charge the batteries related to the breaker tripping? Also, there is a red button located above the "yellow" breaker. What is it for?

Thanks for all of the help!
Dan
When battery is that low the radio might come one for a second then go off. If its tripped you need to reset and plug the RV in over night.

The Batteries will NOT charge if the breaker is tripped.

THe red button is your TEST button. If you press it the RV WILL EXPODE... LOL. no....It will trip the breaker and the yellow flag will pop up.

After you charge the battery and you are still tripping the breaker you must have something wrong with the 12v electical side.

Also once you kill the battery like this they will most likely nver be the same again. I know my OEM batteries did this and within a month I had to replace them. They would not hold a charge even after leaving on charge for a week.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:13 PM   #19

THOR #8717
Thanks Long & Winding Road for the explanation. When I plugged in the RV this morning it was prior to me locating the breaker and re-settting it. So, the batteries would not have charged today based on your prior response. I will make sure the breaker is reset and try again. My coach batteries are OEM and around 4 years old. I figure they are getting toward the end of their useful life. However, I hope they will re-charge.

Thanks!
Dan
Old 12-04-2018, 11:22 PM   #20

THOR #12231
No problem. 4 years is pretty old for a RV battery. If your RV is in storage most of the winter you could wait till spring but I would seriously consider replacing very soon.

This will give you time to figure out the best battery option for you.