Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2021, 08:20 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Thor Vegas AGS / Generator Auto Start Settings?

Hi when dry camping, how are you setting it to go on and off?
For example when low coach battery reaches 11V go on and 13V go off?

How low do we ever want volts to go on coach before we use the generator?

This is a learning experience and camping today so need to set?

Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:57 AM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
There are some recommendations the voltage be set at 11.0 - 11.2V. Some people think this is far too low, and it is, when the battery is not under load. However, if you have loads on the batteries, such as fridge, coffee pot, etc., the load voltage can easily drop below 12V temporarily, while the battery charge is still well above 50%. You may need to do some monitoring and testing based on what you plan to be running while you are dry camping.

Here are some charts that may help in terms of battery voltage and time it can take for the generato to charge the batteries based on the house battery capacity in yoru coach. When the battery is charging the voltage will be above 13V but the key is allowing the generator to run long enough so the Converter can charge the batteries back to a full charge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 6.52.14 AM.png
Views:	62
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	29715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 6.46.07 AM.png
Views:	63
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	29716  

Old 04-10-2021, 11:26 AM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
+1. I would never set the generator start level to less than 11.5V. Set the stop level at 13.5 or more since with the generator charging, the chart above is meaningless.

David
Old 04-10-2021, 11:32 AM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
+1. I would never set the generator start level to less than 11.5V. Set the stop level at 13.5 or more since with the generator charging, the chart above is meaningless.

David
The chart above is a good reference for resting state voltage.

Under load the battery voltage can read 11.5V for a period of time but the batteries can still have well more than a 50% charge. The key is how long the voltage level is at a specific voltage.

Depending on which AGS the OP has, it should have a setting for not only the voltage to start the genny but how long the voltage remains at that level. My AGS has those settings as well and I base the AGS start for how long it stays at that voltage. I don't have access to my coach but if recall I'm set to 11.4V for 1 minute. Haven't had any issues and batteries still going strong.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:23 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Thanks all will do

. I would never set the generator start level to less than 11.5V. Set the stop level at 13.5 or more since with the generator charging, the chart above is meaningless.
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 01:06 PM   #6

THOR #20289
This thread brings to mind the usefulness of solar panels for topping off your batteries. Using the above chart to set your AGS to start and stop your generator probably means you are cycling your batteries between <50% and maybe 75% SOC.

That is not good for your batteries unless you fully charge them every day. Lead acid batteries that stay partially charged for several days let lead sulphate settle out on the bottom of the battery. This makes it hard to resolubilize and get it back to normal when you finally try to recharge it full. This means you lose capacity.

Solar panels are one of the best ways to top off your batteries. They charge at a relatively low rate, all day and can top off your batteries which will put the sulphate back into solution before it forms a hard layer on the bottom

Say you have a 200 Ah battery bank which is typical. If you only charge to 75% with the generator/converter then you are always leaving 50 Ah uncharged. 200 watts of solar panels on a sunny day can recharge them fully. If you camp in somewhat shady conditions or in a more cloudy area you probably need more solar panels to do this.

David
Old 04-10-2021, 01:29 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Interesting: This is the first I've heard of an Axis/Vegas coming with AGS?

Since when did that happen? (ooh I bet when they started installing compressor fridges right?)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 02:07 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Interesting: This is the first I've heard of an Axis/Vegas coming with AGS?

Since when did that happen? (ooh I bet when they started installing compressor fridges right?)
I looked at the Thor specs and there is no mention of an AGS and if installed that is normally a standout point on Thor's sheets. There also is no mention of an inverter.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 02:11 PM   #9

THOR #20289
The AGS on new Axis/Vegas (of which I have one) is part of the Rapid Camp BM Pro system. Since that system lets you start and stop the generator from the touch screen and it also displays battery voltage, it probably just took a little programing code to add AGS functionality. I suspect all Thor MHs with the new BM Pro system also include AGS. But you don't have to use it and I don't.

BTW I am not a fan of the new BM Pro system. I much prefer direct acting switches and led displays for tank levels, but you get what you get with a new Thor MH.

Edit based on PP above: My 2021 Axis does not have an inverter. I am ok with that because if I need a little AC like to run my E-Bike charger I have a small 150W cigarette lighter plug in inverter. I suppose I could also run the TV with it by running a long cord, but we don't watch TV when camping.

David
Old 04-10-2021, 05:44 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
This thread brings to mind the usefulness of solar panels for topping off your batteries. Using the above chart to set your AGS to start and stop your generator probably means you are cycling your batteries between <50% and maybe 75% SOC.

If so, then it would based on user defined preferred settings or an override of what Onan Engineers have designed the defaults to do. i.e. If settings for when AGS starts and stops the Genset are set to AUTO, it will NEVER go under 50% (1bar on EC30 Controller) or always run to full charge (3 bars on EC30 Controller). The type of battery is a factor in the actual voltage reading, but you could use 12.1 - 13.7 as referential Auto Genset range. You can user defined set it to be as low as 10.5vdc or as high as 14.5vdc Auto setting also ensure it is at the Start voltage for 15 seconds before actually starting, Range is 5 - 60 secs if user wish to change. I simply go with what Onan Engineering suggests

That is not good for your batteries unless you fully charge them every day. Lead acid batteries that stay partially charged for several days let lead sulphate settle out on the bottom of the battery. This makes it hard to resolubilize and get it back to normal when you finally try to recharge it full. This means you lose capacity.

Agreed, but see above on how AGS set. FWIW I am going to AGM soon, trying to get my existing working batteries as close to 3 years as possible. The flood acid works fine for me, but simply not clean enough for me.

Solar panels are one of the best ways to top off your batteries. They charge at a relatively low rate, all day and can top off your batteries which will put the sulphate back into solution before it forms a hard layer on the bottom

The progressive dynamics power converter / charger is another and it actually controls the rate of charge to the batteries. It is very advanced and knows when to boost the charge 14.4 v, go to normal mode 13.6 v or Storage mode 13.2v With our existing batteries we can easily make it overnight or during a quiet time without the use of generator. Our AGS will start our Onan at 7:00 AM in the morning and run until full charge is obtained. On average it is 2 or 3 hours for us. If the AGS is set for Quiet time, our genset will come on no matter what 2 hours before the user defined Quiet time is to start (in our case Quiet time starts at 10:00 PM), the genset will in turn on at 8:00 PM sharp and run to ensure that at 10:00PM it is at Full Charge

Say you have a 200 Ah battery bank which is typical. If you only charge to 75% with the generator/converter then you are always leaving 50 Ah uncharged. 200 watts of solar panels on a sunny day can recharge them fully. If you camp in somewhat shady conditions or in a more cloudy area you probably need more solar panels to do this.

We only have 135ah bank right now , but will be at 210ah when we get the new AGMs. I also love to park under trees I actually avoid RV parks or sites that do not have the natural shade surrounding or beauty of trees. I just washed my roof this morning; as we keep it stored uncovered under a Cedar Elm tree. I wash & wax the roof twice a year. Takes me about 2 hours each time. Few pictures attached for more context.
I agree in principal, but believe there are some qualifiers or context, see above.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210410_120905.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	29727   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210410_120703.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	29728  

Name:	20210410_120756.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	29729  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:18 PM   #11

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
If one just wanted a generator to start when temperatures get too high but no inverter what would you need to buy. Onan 4000. Axis
Old 04-10-2021, 06:31 PM   #12
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
If one just wanted a generator to start when temperatures get too high but no inverter what would you need to buy. Onan 4000. Axis
Start with this

https://www.amazon.com/Magnum-MEAGSS-Automatic-Generator-Controller/dp/B0035BM9UA
Old 04-10-2021, 08:31 PM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
I spent endless hours looking at the AGS because my while my coach has a Onan 5500, it did NOT come standard with the AGS

I am big fan of EC-30 https://www.cummins.com/generators/m...ergy-commandtm

Money well spent and very easy to use once installed properly. In our case since RV was new and we had an authorized dealer install, Onan extended the warranty for the EC-30 to 3 years to align with generator

For what you want, the EC-30 will support HVAC calls to start the genset so power is on for AC(s) to run. I use all the time.

You simply put at least one of the thermostats connected to EC-30 to temperature setpoint you want. Say you set for 75 degrees and current temp is 72. Nothing happens, but if it gets hot enough and hits 75 the thermostat will try to turn on the AC but since no power; nothing happens, but with EC-30 the thermostat can now call your EC-30 and it knows to turn on the power so the AC(s) can run There are some minimum runtimes etc to prevent excessive cycling; but your coach stays at the intended temperature just as if you had shorepower the entire time. Also (this is only if wired properly before the ATS) If the Auto Genset is on and for some reason you lose shore power, the genset will come on to keep things cool and running until electricity is restored.

If interested in an EC-30, the below short clip is a must watch video for how it works with any Onan generator. I have has about a year & half now and I can say definitively, as long as it has Onan generator; I will never own an RV without the AGS from Onan.

FWIW... I do have Magnun Energy Inverter and it too is awesome. I have their Automatic Switch and the remote. This was all factory installed and it works in tandem with my Genset and Shorepower. I thought I needed a 2000 watt inverter, but I am learning the 1000 watt model is plenty for us.

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote