Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2018, 04:49 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37YT
State: Tennessee
THOR #10421
More A/C issues!

Well, had to take a look at the front A/C unit again as it was making strange noises when we were camping and running the fan only. Took the inside covers off and found only three of the long screws were used to mount it to the ceiling, one was totally missing. Looks like they didn't put it in because it would hit the blue conduit with the wires coming out so I trimmed it off, went to the hardware store and bought some long bolts and replaced it. Dang Thor's lack of giving a darn! Rather than fix something RIGHT, just leave that part out....oh well... Also, and this is for everyone's benefit, I checked all the bolts (front and rear units) and 2-3 more were very loose.

I also addressed the gaps between the vents and the units, used some silver silicone to close them up. I have ducts running in the ceiling on mine, not just channels cut in the insulation as some have mentioned. While the air really shouldn't have anywhere to escape inside the ceiling, I just have to believe it will blow colder air and more forcefully with all the gaps sealed off. I checked and the air flow seems to be a LOT better than before. The gaps were at least 1/4" a couple of the sides were 1/2" wide! Can't test the cooling yet as it's still too darn cold!

Thor must use the "horseshoe" build process....just get it close....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3029.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	8972   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3030.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	8973  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3031.jpg