Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2016, 08:55 PM   #21
vkb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by billnagle6900@gmail.com View Post
It sure makes it easy. I did get mine from Amazon.
thank you !

Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:11 PM   #22

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
The one time install of the filler manifold was easier than expending effort to check individual cell levels with mirrors and rigging up something to top them off if needed.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:46 AM   #23
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
The one time install of the filler manifold was easier than expending effort to check individual cell levels with mirrors and rigging up something to top them off if needed.
Gotcha ! will pass that on to Ron...I think he is sooo ready to hit the road, he wants to be done with Mods for a while. This sounds like money well spent !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:48 PM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
It is an easy and relatively cheap fix to a difficult problem that has the potential to lead to battery failure and a difficult battery change. Money well spent.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:01 AM   #25

THOR #5392
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner03 View Post
Good morning, I just purchased a Thor Vegas 2014, and drove it home from Kansas City, 550 miles to get it home, A very nice driving unit. I did see some treads on the under hood battery removal/replacement, very bad location. One Rv'er said he had to remove the pass side tray slide and cut through some Mfgr. plywood and plastic inside the cab to access battery. I'm going to leave the battery in place, ( disconnect)have two battery cables made and route the cables to the storage compartment behind the r/s front wheel and mount the battery there..It'll sure make life easer down the road..
Great idea. Miine died a few days ago. I was gonna change it myself but after looking where it was located all I could do was cuss. Called my local ford dealer service guy, he said he's replaced several Vegas batteries. Off to the dealer I went. Next time, i'll do it your way.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:41 AM   #26

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by leshunter View Post
Is it possible to jump start the battery from the front of an axis 24.1 in case of a dead battery?
Did it on our dead 2016 25.2 from the front. Wasn't an issue. Also, our paperwork shows the chassis battery is maintenance free. Coach batteries still need water, but haven't delved under there to confirm.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:36 AM   #27

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
my 2016 axis did not come with maintenance free battery.bought it in oct 2015 with 32 miles on it.picked it up 3 days after it left factory.you can turn wheels all the way to right and with another person under fender well slide the battery out and reinstall new battery same way.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:48 PM   #28

THOR #5392
Local Ford dealer charged me $260 labor to replace my battery. Removed front wheel, front quarter panel, firewall... total cost to replace battery, oil change, shop fees, & taxes. $560
Old 04-17-2017, 12:41 AM   #29

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
all that money for a 20 minute job.good thing they didn't go through the dash.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:29 AM   #30

State: California
THOR #7660
I removed and replaced my chassis battery on Vegas 24.1 by accessing the wood dash cut-out on the passenger side, by lifting and removing the six screws holding the folding desk. As promised in the manual, the battery was indeed accessible for disconnect and removal. However, I needed to re-dress all the vent hoses and connecting wiring to make room for the battery to be lifted out. The battery just passes thru the opening with not much room to spare. You need to kneel on the dash and lift straight up. However, my old battery was missing the plastic lifting handle. Stupid omission on the part of Thor assemblers. I had to fabricate a belt on it to lift it out. Also, the tie-down to the battery tray was not right for the new slightly smaller battery. The OEM battery was "Mopar" a Chrysler Corp product, not Ford like the chassis, go figure??! Once I got the new battery installed and hooked up, I needed to fabricate series of metal fasteners to hold the wood cutout so it didn't fall back into the opening.. All in all, the replacement was doable, but I cussed a lot at how uncaring the Thor people are in designing their maintenance procedures, especially as ordinary a need as replacing the chassis battery. I 'd give the folks in the design dept at Thor an "F" grade.