Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2022, 03:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #27300
Thor wall construction

I have a 2018 Thor 29M Hurricane - the "armrest" to the left of the driver seat fell off the wall (this has the self leveling control panel, emergency start button, mirror electronic controls, and a cup holder). The wall is water damaged behind the armrest, but only in that horizontal strip about 4" wide the length of the arm rest. Is the interior wall construction made of a wood product or is this wood behind the arm rest (in the wall) some kind of blocking used in the wall for attachment of the arm rest to the wall?

Old 07-05-2022, 01:44 PM   #2

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
If you send Thor model and vin number. They will send you exterior and interior wall construction, materials and thickness.

Good luck
Old 07-05-2022, 01:54 PM   #3

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
THOR #17765
Do you have pimples on the wall also?

My wall is a sandwich of plywood, styrofoam, and exterior fiber material.

How bout posting a picture. I had water intrusion in same area. Might be able to point you to possible culprits.
Old 07-05-2022, 03:03 PM   #4

THOR #27300
The underlying wood material behind the arm rest area was definitely water damaged as pieces came out with the screws and the wall is soft/dimpled - most likely water from the driver side window, but oddly no soft or dimpled area beneath the window until about a foot or more lower where the arm rest is below the window (in a horizontal strip). Trying to add photos but looks like I need to do so from my computer.
Old 07-05-2022, 03:39 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron@wrightanglepllc.com View Post
I have a 2018 Thor 29M Hurricane - the "armrest" to the left of the driver seat fell off the wall (this has the self leveling control panel, emergency start button, mirror electronic controls, and a cup holder). The wall is water damaged behind the armrest, but only in that horizontal strip about 4" wide the length of the arm rest. Is the interior wall construction made of a wood product or is this wood behind the arm rest (in the wall) some kind of blocking used in the wall for attachment of the arm rest to the wall?
There is a video on YouTube showing some of the wall laminating press at plant 750. It shows workers laying down the outer skin down from a roll, placing the aluminum tubing bracing in place, adding the balsa wood filler pieces and the steel backing plates where cabinets, microwave, etc are to be placed. An auto glue machine adds thermosetting glue in the needed with two floor workers following the glue machine with adding dabs of glue where there are critical areas. This is necessary as different options may require extra care, as the glue machine is only programed for a wall with no options. Finally the inner covering is pulled into place. The 200 ton wall press descends and the microwave generator heats the wall assembly to 160 F degrees to catalyze the thermosetting glue. 20 minutes later the wall is moved by crane to the auto, wall router table where the window and door opening are routed out of the wall. The side skirts are done the same way with the router cutouts becoming the basement doors. Freedom Traveler, ACE, Hurricane and Windsport coaches are assembled in plant 750.
If you are the least bit mechanically inclined, a plant 750 tour is definitely recommended. The size and complexity of the machinery is awesome. Plants 150, 650 and 750 are colocated and all part of the original Four Winds facility purchased by Thor Industries in 1992 .
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 04:11 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Get the structural diagrams from Thor and not the personal opinions of others. Thor will provide the diagrams upon request.
Old 07-05-2022, 06:21 PM   #7

THOR #27300
Thanks for the suggestion - I called Thor and got the structural diagrams. For the area I am talking about there are two horizontal 6" wide 1" thick plywood blocking pieces. Not sure why the second one which is shown at a lower position, but the upper one is right where this arm rest is located. I plan to just go over the interior surface with lauan plywood with a box to the inside which will go from the floor up to the underside of the arm rest to be the actual support. Hopefully will find and screw the lauan into the lower plywood piece but the main support will be from the floor and not the wall anyway.
Old 07-06-2022, 10:41 AM   #8

THOR #17765
After Thor replaced the drivers window twice, the actual water intrusion was found to be in 2 other places. The satellite radio antenna. The steel plate was sealed. But the little black square antenna was only magnetically attached allowing water into the entrance hole for wiring. Then finds it’s way onto the mirror wiring. Thus ending up at the armrest. Also, look at those little bullet cab marker lights. 2 of mine fell out in my hand. I stuck them back in with pro flex. Again water followed the wiring .
Old 07-06-2022, 10:44 AM   #9

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
There is a video on YouTube showing some of the wall laminating press at plant 750. It shows workers laying down the outer skin down from a roll, placing the aluminum tubing bracing in place, adding the balsa wood filler pieces and the steel backing plates where cabinets, microwave, etc are to be placed. An auto glue machine adds thermosetting glue in the needed with two floor workers following the glue machine with adding dabs of glue where there are critical areas. This is necessary as different options may require extra care, as the glue machine is only programed for a wall with no options. Finally the inner covering is pulled into place. The 200 ton wall press descends and the microwave generator heats the wall assembly to 160 F degrees to catalyze the thermosetting glue. 20 minutes later the wall is moved by crane to the auto, wall router table where the window and door opening are routed out of the wall. The side skirts are done the same way with the router cutouts becoming the basement doors. Freedom Traveler, ACE, Hurricane and Windsport coaches are assembled in plant 750.
If you are the least bit mechanically inclined, a plant 750 tour is definitely recommended. The size and complexity of the machinery is awesome. Plants 150, 650 and 750 are colocated and all part of the original Four Winds facility purchased by Thor Industries in 1992 .
What plant builds Challengers?
Old 07-06-2022, 02:21 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
What plant builds Challengers?
Plant 850 bills all REDs , class A Outlaws, Challenger, Miramar, and the Mega Cs (Inception and Pasadena). Plant 850 the old Damon plant which Thor Industries bought from Navastar. It is in Wakarusa, IN along with plant 450, the Thor MC Service center and the paint shop. The class Bs are built over in Bristol, IN in plants 240 and 250.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver sidewall arm rest, wall construction, water damage