Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2020, 05:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: compass 23tw
State: Texas
THOR #19878
Thor warranty service while on the road for a new RV

Hello all,

Though that I would ask this question to see what other folks experience are with a breakdown on the road and getting repairs covered under warranty or just repairs done.

I have asked Thor this question and have yet to receive a response.

I had a 12 volt coach issue far from home that disabled the coach portion of our RV and with the help of Thor customer service determined it to be a bad power converter.

Thor gave me 4 dealers that do warranty repair in the vicinity of us.

I called all 4 none of which had the part, 1 was cash only and I would need to work payment out with Thor and the other 3 only serviced RV' that were purchased at their dealership.

Anyone else have a similar issue and is there anything else that can be done?

Cheers.

Old 12-30-2020, 05:39 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Call, Thor and explain what the dealers told you and ask for authorization to use an independent shop or a mobile tech. The one issue I had while traveling was with a slide and Thor authorized a mobile tech. I had to pay up front and Thor reimbursed me for the repair.

Very important, Thor must authorize the use of an independent or mobile tech before you have the repairs done or you will be stuck with the bill.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:43 PM   #3

Model: compass 23tw
THOR #19878
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Call, Thor and explain what the dealers told you and ask for authorization to use an independent shop or a mobile tech. The one issue I had while traveling was with a slide and Thor authorized a mobile tech. I had to pay up front and Thor reimbursed me for the repair.

Very important, Thor must authorize the use of an independent or mobile tech before you have the repairs done or you will be stuck with the bill.
Great to know, I didn't realize that 12 volts controls most all devices in the RV, specifically the slide.
Old 12-31-2020, 05:10 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:

I follow and agree with the call Thor and explain what dealers told OP, but why not confirm with Thor the amount they would need to reimburse based on the One Dealer that would take the work?

The longer I own a RV the more I can begin to see why some dealers don't wish to work with new customers that do not buy from them. I don't agree with the practice, but just making note of what may be their perspective?

i.e. I think OP was fortunate to be in area of 4 Thor Dealers, but it also implies a lot of sales volume? I think the key here though may have been that the OP was traveling. So for the Dealership, he would NOT be a repeat customer, it is warranty work so it if for minimum to no profit depending upon how complex actual labor is versus standard hours that Thor may reimburse, since he is traveling it is implies work must be done now, which means OP will have to jump the schedule in front of other profitable customers and new honeymooners with brand new RVs purchased from dealerships. Imagine if you have backlog of 20 or so RVs all of customers that bought an RV from you, it would be rare to hear of anyone complaining to get in to Dealer they bought from, the Dealership also has to accept the risk of getting blasted with negatives on social media if OP has any gripe with Thor or complications that may be encountered with the fix.

In a way, lot of peeps buy extended warranties for peace of mind, but the day the mfg warranty ends and with no extended warranty to try to navigate and manage to, life may become simpler for repairs. Just call the mobile ,tech or local repair shop to get it fixed, pay a fair rate and go home about your business
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 12:22 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I follow and agree with the call Thor and explain what dealers told OP, but why not confirm with Thor the amount they would need to reimburse based on the One Dealer that would take the work?

i.e. I think OP was fortunate to be in area of 4 Thor Dealers, but it also implies a lot of sales volume? I think the key here though may have been that the OP was traveling. ...
And that is why I recommend calling Thor and ask for authorization of an independent shop or the use of a mobile tech. The OP is in an area where dealers won't service what they don't sell and based on the severity of the issue they may not be able to use or drive the rig.

The one time I had an issue while traveling Thor authorized a mobile tech, I paid the tech 75.00 for the repair, I sent the invoice to Thor and they sent me a check.

Again, call and talk to Thor.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 01:39 AM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Thor warranty service while on the road for a new RV

A converter replacement is relatively simple. Order the same unit on Amazon and replace the defective one yourself to get back up and running.

Then write Thor Warranty Customer Service a nice letter explaining the problem, troubleshooting it with Thor and the dealer issue. Include a copy of your receipt and ask them to reimburse you and they very likely will.

I had a pressure sensor go out on the levelers on my last coach while under warranty and right after getting it back from the dealer. I determined it was the sensor, ordered it on Amazon and replaced it myself. It fixed the problem so I wrote an email explaining everything and sent it to Thor. They sent me a check and had me return the defective part.

One other thing..... before you go through all of that be sure to check your reverse polarity fuses for the Converter. If one of them blew or is not seated properly you will lose your 12V.
Old 01-01-2021, 06:16 AM   #7

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Lots of good advice already posted in this thread and another example of how the RV industry as a whole, sucks.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:32 AM   #8

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:

And write down the date, time, name of Thor rep you spoke with on the phone. Thor is very good about reimbursing these types of warranty repairs.
Old 01-09-2021, 07:34 PM   #9

Model: Synergy SP24
State: New York
THOR #11543
Two years ago I had a slide problem and Thor authorized a mobile service ( I paid up front and Thor reimbursed me) to repair it. They replaced a motor, but the entire mechanism was damaged. Thor authorized me to go to Camping World, Ft. Meyers, FL and they repaired this multi-thousand dollar job. Camping World billed Thor directly and Camping World did an OUTSTANDING job.
I live on Long Island and as indicated, had the repairs done in Florida in February, the busiest season down there.
Old 01-09-2021, 07:35 PM   #10

State: Minnesota
THOR #20429
The warranty process is a killer

My experience may be unique but...

Most RV dealers sell multiple manufacturer products. As such, their parts dept do not have parts catalog so they need to fax the MFG to get the part number, then fax a request to approve the warranty work then once that is received order the part. Then, your lucky to get the part ina week. Can you imagine your local Ford or GM dealer working like thIs?

My opinion is to bypass the dealer as much as possible and deal directly with the factory.
Old 01-09-2021, 07:37 PM   #11

Model: 34p
State: California
THOR #8973
Hi
I had my Thor on the road for 3 years under warranty and I found out Thor warranty is useless. The Ford chassis is warranty is great because any Ford truck dealer will be glad to work on it. I dare anyone to find a dealer on the road that will actually work on it under 2 or 3 months. most dealers will tell you that if you didn't buy it from them they won't work on it. Even your home dealer will fall under the 2 to 3 months wait time. Obviously Thor doesn't make it advantages to the dealer to work on warranty jobs because as we all know warranty work for auto industry is a big business.
Jack
Old 01-09-2021, 07:39 PM   #12

State: Arizona
THOR #21486
Extended Warranty

Hi all,
We just purchased our first Class A Thor Palazzo. We are the third owners of the RV. We have been looking at purchasing an extended warranty but not sure it would be worth it. It cost over $2000 a year with a $1000 deductible. Has anyone had experience with extended warranties? Are they worth the annual money?
Old 01-09-2021, 07:46 PM   #13

Model: Windsport 35C
State: Indiana
THOR #16561
RV repairs

I have been RVing for over 35 years.
I went through a 4 year mechanical progression path at Cummins Technical Center on most types of maintenance and experimental test procedures.
It isn't broken until I can't fix it.
If I were new to campers/motorhomes and read several of the posts on many of these sites, I would be so frustrated as to never purchase, hell I wouldn't even borrow a camper.
It is an industry where if you can't fix it yourself you will be very frustrated.
The CUSTOMER SUPPORT STRUCTURE doesn't exist to third world levels.

If someone could produce a high quality line of campers and provide a decent support/repair service they could corner the market in a very short period of time.
It seems that foreign car producers almost bankrupted the big three just on initial build quality a few years ago. If you added improved service simultaneously, you would be the BIG dog very quickly.
When is the RV industry going to hear that changes need to be made???
Old 01-09-2021, 07:52 PM   #14

Model: 34p
THOR #8973
Ditto, I couldn't of said it better myself
Old 01-09-2021, 07:52 PM   #15

Model: Synergy SP24
State: New York
THOR #11543
Ditto, ditto, Ditto!
Old 01-09-2021, 08:13 PM   #16

Model: Palazzo
State: Alaska
THOR #20592
[QUOTE=jackpwelch;271752]Hi
I had my Thor on the road for 3 years under warranty and I found out Thor warranty is useless.

My nephew just cancelled his extended warrantee after being refused coverage on 4 different repairs. Appears extended warrantee's are worthless.
The topper was a black water tank valve problem. Insurance would only cover if he sent them receipts that he was using RV toilet paper.

Can also confirm. Waiting 2 months to get into repairs shop here in Vegas and Thor said 2 months to get parts.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:43 PM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Regency Ultra Brougham IB
State: Arizona
THOR #13468
[QUOTE=Parne;271769]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpwelch View Post
Hi
Appears extended warrantee's are worthless.
I think it depends upon the warranty company. Good Sam's ESP plan paid for a new air conditioner for our old Class B when it was diagnosed as having an internal short and saved me close to $1000. The backup camera in our current Class B stopped working properly and the extended warranty company has given the local RV repair shop the go-ahead to replace the display unit (or at least that is what I have been told).

I am not suggesting that they are worthwhile purchases - sometimes it is the luck of the draw - but sometimes they are very helpful.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:44 PM   #18

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
My personal experience is some what different. After 9 months of trouble free coach travel, I found my patio awning lights were failing, a few completely out. I emailed Thor MC customer service with a picture attached. I explained that the nearest Thor MC dealer was 140 miles away, but there was a Jayco/Entegea dealer (Youngbloods RV) 24 miles away that I preferred to do the repair. Jayco was not a part of Thor Industries at that time. Thor CS requested an estimate. I forwarded Thor's email to Youngbloods service department with a picture. Youngbloods e-mailed me an estimate of 1/2 hour @ $120 an hour. I forwarded the email to Thor CS and they sent the LED strip and harness directly to me, requesting I use the post paid box to return the defective part. I made an appointment with Youngbloods for the service. Youngbloods removed old LEDs, cleaned the cavity, applied the glue and put the new LED strip in about 20 minutes. I paid the $60, put a copy of the bill in the box and dropped the box by UPS. About a month later I got a Thor MC check for $60.

Different people, different coaches, different results.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:51 PM   #19

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
My local RV dealer, Carpenters, does warranty service for most manufacturers. Including RV's purchased elsewhere. "On the road RV's" do get priority.

https://www.carpenterscampers.com/service/
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 09:35 PM   #20

THOR #20010
Warranty Repair in Texas

I had a similar situation except that I didn't need a repair part. Thor gave me the names of some service centers in the area (I was on a roadtrip). One fit me in right away and took care of the 13 repair items that we had. The two most serious were the step not retracting and the converter not working (it came unplugged).

I had to pay the $400 repair bill and Thor reimbursed me. I was fairly happy with the whole experience. Mostly because I could get down the road with only a slight delay.

Another time, Thor told me to get a repairman out and they would reimburse me. The repairman fixed the problem with the slide is very short time (loose wire). I sent the $95 repair bill in but Thor didn't reimburse me or let me know that it was declined. I think they have a faulty warranty administration.