Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2022, 08:38 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Outlets can be ground up, down or sideways. There is no such standard unless it is state level and that does not apply to RVs.

Take 15 seconds and do the research.
Very true, didn't mean to say code however some decided they should have the ground up

Makes more sense the other way (ground down) due to how you handle the plugs

Look better that way as well

Old 01-02-2022, 08:50 PM   #42
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Very true, didn't mean to say code however some decided they should have the ground up

I fixed it for you.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 08:56 PM   #43

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post

Actually, unless you have a tamper resistant receptacle, a three-prong plug installed with the ground up holds tighter in the outlet.

Now just so you know; I agree with the preference of some to have the ground plug down. They are all down or sideways in my RV, and I rotated my Eaton 50/30/20 Amp Sub Panel; so that the 20 Amp ground plug was down at home, but I didn't accuse EATON of poor workmanship because they installed the ground plug up, this is what we were addressing with the OP ( not to say he may not want it to be down). I am sure there are plenty of things to bag on Thor. Plug orientation seems trite at best.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 09:05 PM   #44

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Thanks for your service, I know my daughter would appreciate your post. Your tenure goes to show we have more heroes in this country and I wish there was a better way for more to see and understand to appreciate.

Unless I am missing something there is no new way? I just went out in 20 degree temperatures to confirm that in my RV all of the ground plugs are down in my 2019 RV. My house is the same.

OP's defect #2 was saying that it was defect because one of his was UP. I think the data above simply was just saying there is no correct way UP or DOWN only a preference to those that install (Hospitals and similar Industrial applications notwithstanding)

Hopefully the OP will chime in any minute and say I turned my plug around so we may all focus on his Defect #1 & Defect #3 to see if Thor had any poor workmanship issues as the threads describes.
There you go again... adding sense to an often nonsensical world...

P.S. I meant no offense to hospital workers; only total respect for E.R. doctors, ALL nurses and custodians, who are often doing thankless jobs. Point taken regarding the hospital outlets... but I'm still convinced it's a little silly.

I got my first lesson in electricity around 7 or 8 years of age(?) with a bobby pin inserted into an outlet. No ground plug was gonna prevent THAT!
Old 01-02-2022, 09:07 PM   #45

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Really?
A supposed upside down socket and a four screw ladder mount an inch higher than it should be?
The OP said the ladder was 1/4" off

FROM OP = "The ladder missed hitting the floor by about a quarter inch"
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 01-02-2022, 09:15 PM   #46

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
There you go again... adding sense to an often nonsensical world...

P.S. I meant no offense to hospital workers; only total respect for E.R. doctors, ALL nurses and custodians, who are often doing thankless jobs. Point taken regarding the hospital outlets... but I'm still convinced it's a little silly.

I got my first lesson in electricity around 7 or 8 years of age(?) with a bobby pin inserted into an outlet. No ground plug was gonna prevent THAT!
I did that too

When I was about 7 or 8; someone had told me not to put anything in one of those outlets; so one day while I was alone; I got a metal coat hanger and un-twisted it. I licked at the end to make sure it was clean and stuck it in

I never told anyone and I never did that again. The TR Tamper Resistance receptacles solve that problem today.
Old 01-02-2022, 09:53 PM   #47
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
The OP said the ladder was 1/4" off

FROM OP = "The ladder missed hitting the floor by about a quarter inch"
I agree with a previous comment - he's missing a section of that ladder (note the individual sections). Probably cannibalized to fix another coach's problem with their ladder. That would be a dealer issue.
Old 01-02-2022, 11:00 PM   #48

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I agree with a previous comment - he's missing a section of that ladder (note the individual sections). Probably cannibalized to fix another coach's problem with their ladder. That would be a dealer issue.
Yes sir. Also take a closer look at picture for Ops defect #1. In addition to suspect white pipe to go with the P trap assembly; the yellow paint marking does not go across to it's mating part? Mfg'ers will often use that paint marking to show where they have the fitting or connections mated.

On my coach they used white paint to show where two piece aligned. This tends to suggest that the pieces may have been removed by someone at some point in time post the mfg.? No telling who and what parts were used to complete a rushed sale, or when a rushed PDI or no PDI is anticipated.

Additionally the paint helps to quickly see if they are coming lose.

I added two pictures of mine to illustrate how mine looked from the Mfg.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ThorForumPicture.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	35451   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220102_162846.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	35454  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220102_162950.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	35455  
Old 01-02-2022, 11:35 PM   #49

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Yes sir. Also take a closer look at picture for Ops defect #1. In addition to suspect white pipe to go with the P trap assembly; the yellow paint marking does not go across to it's mating part? Mfg'ers will often use that paint marking to show where they have the fitting or connections mated.

On my coach they used white paint to show where two piece aligned. This tends to suggest that the pieces may have been removed by someone at some point in time post the mfg.? No telling who and what parts were used to complete a rushed sale, or when a rushed PDI or no PDI is anticipated.

Additionally the paint helps to quickly see if they are coming lose.

I added two pictures of mine to illustrate how mine looked from the Mfg.
I've used that marking technique when "dry fitting" PVC pipe joints. That's my guess why they're marked.

P.S. That's an interesting way to fit a tailpiece into an ABS trap.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:28 PM   #50

Model: Hurrican 34J
THOR #4107
the short list...

When we purchased our Hurricane in 2015, with-in an hour on the road, the windshield gasket started flapping and come totally undone, scaring my wife in the process. Took 3 visits to MHS to get it somewhat fixed.

Holding tanks heating pads not connected. Wires were still zip tied under coach.

unbalance tires, which Goodyear could not get balanced, so they had to be replaced at my expense.

Generator would shut down during hot weather trip, Thor could not tell the dealer how to fix it. after 2 years of multiple month-long visits to the dealership, I installed some wireless thermometers around the generator and quickly identified it was getting too much heat from the coach exhaust and recirculating its own heat. I installed a heat barrier (aluminum sheet ) and created a diverter to push generator exhaust to the back of the coach. and problem solved.

I could go on for hours...

yeah, QC is not Thor's specialty.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:31 PM   #51

Brand: Heartland
THOR #25621
If I were buying an RV, I would have my personal RV inspector conduct an eval of coach. If report had too many problems......no sale.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:31 PM   #52
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
I thought I would put the WHY a plug should be mounted, as almost none are, with the ground pin up. I a plug is not inserted flush in the socket, and conductive metal hits it from the top a short to neutral or hot may happen. Neutral is no problem and is sage. The ground pin up protects a user better. That is why if a socket is mounted sideways, the neutral should be facing up.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:36 PM   #53

State: Arkansas
THOR #16239
Thor quality or lack thereof

I have had quality issues with Thor as well. Very shoddy work and they really don’t seem to care. I wrote to Mercedes (my chassis builder) and told them they should be embarrassed to have their name on the front of my Siesta. I’ve written to Thor as well and, while they responded to my concerns, didn’t seem overly concerned about making things right.

In addition to just sloppy work, they put the wrong sofa in my coach. While under warranty the local dealer said they replaced it but they didn’t. All they did was build out the frame so the table top would fit when made into a bed. For what we pay for these RV’s they should be of much higher quality. I love the RV life but will likely never buy another one. Too expensive for what you get.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:37 PM   #54

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
I thought I would put the WHY a plug should be mounted, as almost none are, with the ground pin up. I a plug is not inserted flush in the socket, and conductive metal hits it from the top a short to neutral or hot may happen. Neutral is no problem and is sage. The ground pin up protects a user better. That is why if a socket is mounted sideways, the neutral should be facing up.
An acccount of the deaths and destruction would be appreciated.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 07:42 PM   #55

THOR #13932
I have had quality issues with my neighbor as well. Very shoddy child raising skills and they really don’t seem to care. I wrote to the parents (their builder) and told them they should be embarrassed to have their name on those kids. I’ve written to the step-dad as well and, while he responded to my concerns, didn’t seem overly concerned about making things right.

Fixed it a bit for perspective.
Same story, just the names have been changed.
There are really VERY few stories in life.

Find a way to be happy.
Sell or trade unhappiness for some sort of happier.

Old 01-08-2022, 07:47 PM   #56

Model: Windsport 29M
State: New York
THOR #11919
2 pages of errors the dealer found/repaired before putting it on the lot, 2 days me living on their site checking things and having them repaired and about year of me finding other things and fixing myself. Maybe if Toyota or Honda started making RVs it would help; sure woke up the car mfg’s.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:51 PM   #57

THOR #13932
We helped someone lemon law a honda.
Look up
Lemon cars for sale
On YouTube.
See which builders are on those lots.

The list, then stay
Were exactly what needs done.
Anyone Who does less is partially to fully to blame.

Old 01-08-2022, 08:07 PM   #58

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I have had quality issues with my neighbor as well. Very shoddy child raising skills and they really don’t seem to care. I wrote to the parents (their builder) and told them they should be embarrassed to have their name on those kids. I’ve written to the step-dad as well and, while he responded to my concerns, didn’t seem overly concerned about making things right.

Fixed it a bit for perspective.
Same story, just the names have been changed.
There are really VERY few stories in life.

Find a way to be happy.
Sell or trade unhappiness for some sort of happier.
I love your analogy or perspective. For those that care, if they think deeply; they may see it's good intent; while it certainly may not jump out at you.

I just reflected on the number of products I have purchased, returned, or sold because I was unhappy with them. For every product, I sold it was considered perfect to the next guy.

I assume everyone buys their RV because it was exactly what they wanted, ( unless someone forced you to buy the RV against your will)? If I ever buy something that I later determined I do not like, not happy with, or think is poor quality; I am gonna sell it and get what I want. Now is a good time to sell RVs, as you should be able to sell fairly easily and potentially make a profit.

If it matters, I have seen some quality issues with a lot of coaches made by TMC, Winnebago, Fleetwood, Coachman etc; but I didn't buy them. My post is mainly for after the sale for the coach you now own. Put the focus on getting it fixed, selling it, and/or buying something else that will make you happy.
Old 01-08-2022, 09:19 PM   #59
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProsperTrail View Post
unbalance tires, which Goodyear could not get balanced, so they had to be replaced at my expense.

What's unbalance able Goodyear tires have to do with Thor? And why didn't Goodyear replace them under warranty?
Old 01-08-2022, 10:40 PM   #60

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProsperTrail View Post

Generator would shut down during hot weather trip, Thor could not tell the dealer how to fix it. after 2 years of multiple month-long visits to the dealership, I installed some wireless thermometers around the generator and quickly identified it was getting too much heat from the coach exhaust and recirculating its own heat. I installed a heat barrier (aluminum sheet ) and created a diverter to push generator exhaust to the back of the coach. and problem solved.

I am curious, did this happen with every 34J Hurricane, or was there something unique with your unit build that made yours poor quality?

... possibly unrelated, but what I find odd, is that Onan & RV Mfgs go to great lengths to ensure that the generator compartment hatch is closed before operating over some sustained period. That would seem to restrict some airflow around the air filter but it does not.