Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2016, 09:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
For those with residential refrigerators, beware

After our last camping trip, our Whirlpool residential refrigerator starting experiencing cooling issues. The refrigerator and freezer would get no colder than about 40-45 degrees. It was during a weekend in October in PA so wasn't weather related. Once we got home, I tested the fridge and confirmed that it was an issue with the unit and not power related. I also bought external temp sensors and confirmed that the unit was only getting into the 40's, both freezer and fridge. Luckily, my warranty still had several weeks left so I contacted Thor and they provided me with the number to call at Whirlpool for warranty service. Thor made it clear that the only thing they would cover is removal of the fridge from the cabinetry and Whirlpool would cover the refrigerator. Rather than waste time taking my coach to CW just to have them remove the fridge, my son and I did it ourselves. Not a big deal. So Whirlpool came out and confirmed the fridge has issues and ordered a new compressor but they weren't 100% sure it was a compressor issue. So two weeks after their first visit, they came back yesterday with a certified refrigerant tech and he confirmed the fridge leaked out most of the refrigerant. He did not replace the compressor instead vacuumed out all the remaining refrigerant and added all new with die. They will be coming back in 4 weeks to check the unit with a black light for leaks. While the tech was here, he noticed that if this fridge needed to be replaced, there is no easy way to get it out of the motorhome since the fridge is wider than the door by at least 3-4 inches. Whether or not you could take the door frame off and then get the fridge out is questionable. Nevertheless, the tech suggested that I get an extended warranty on the fridge so at least the issue of replacing it is less likely during the extended warranty period. For about $45 a year, I can get a 5 year extended warranty on the fridge which I plan to do very soon. Something to keep in mind if you have a fridge that may not be easily removed from your coach.

2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:30 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
When I visited the factory I saw a residential fridge being installed, it was done before the front cap was installed, guess it would be hard to remove! I have seen a fridge removed thru the front after removing the windshield, wouldn't want to have to go that route! What a PIA to replace!!!
Old 11-13-2016, 12:01 AM   #3

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
THOR #2601
Does removing the refrigerator and freezer door make it narrow enough to fit through the RV door?
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 02:15 AM   #4

THOR #4486
Even with the fridge doors removed, MH door opening is still 2-3 inches too small.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
Old 11-13-2016, 02:22 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #2858
Check al your window sizes. Normally they take them out through the windows but the window frame usually has to come out but that not hard. Thor should be able to tell you which windows are big enough.
Old 11-13-2016, 02:52 AM   #6

THOR #4486
I checked all the window sizes and the windshield is the only one big enough.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
Old 11-13-2016, 02:32 PM   #7

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
Make deal and pay a little for difference in frig that will come in thru door. Use recip saw and cut old one to fit going out.
Old 11-13-2016, 02:34 PM   #8

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
After our last camping trip, our Whirlpool residential refrigerator starting experiencing cooling issues............... Nevertheless, the tech suggested that I get an extended warranty on the fridge so at least the issue of replacing it is less likely during the extended warranty period. For about $45 a year, I can get a 5 year extended warranty on the fridge which I plan to do very soon. Something to keep in mind if you have a fridge that may not be easily removed from your coach.
Tom, I assume you do not have any type of extended warranty on your coach? $45 a year for an extended warranty on the frig sounds pretty good/cheap to me. The Frigidaire in our house is barely 18 months old and the compressor was shot. Tech said it just developed some type of blockage. We finally talked Frigidaire into covering it past their 1-year initial warranty period. They want right at $100 per year for extended coverage.

We are hoping we have better luck with the one in the Challenger, but just in case we have an extended coach warranty.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 04:56 PM   #9

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Figured the windshield would be the only way, when I saw it being done they were using an engine block hoist to get it out. I sincerely hope it doesn't come to that in your case!
Old 11-13-2016, 05:12 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2858
Quote:
I checked all the window sizes and the windshield is the only one big enough.
Did you check the drivers or passenger side windows? I've seen them used in several videos. Remember the entire window frame has to come out so measure the outside of the window then take off about 1 1/2".

In almost all cases the doors on the RR have to be removed and the RR goes in on its back.

Usually at least one window will be tall enough for an RR go to in on its back.

One more option that may be better than taking out the big front window is having a slide removed. Best to use a slide that doesn't have a lot of wiring or plumbing.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:12 PM   #11
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Don't forget the doors on most of those refrigerators can be removed.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:45 PM   #12

THOR #4486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
Tom, I assume you do not have any type of extended warranty on your coach? $45 a year for an extended warranty on the frig sounds pretty good/cheap to me. The Frigidaire in our house is barely 18 months old and the compressor was shot. Tech said it just developed some type of blockage. We finally talked Frigidaire into covering it past their 1-year initial warranty period. They want right at $100 per year for extended coverage.

We are hoping we have better luck with the one in the Challenger, but just in case we have an extended coach warranty.
Joe, I do not have an extended warranty on the entire coach. My train of thought is once the Ford chassis warranty expires in two years, I would look into an extended warranty for the coach. What company do you use for your extended warranty and are you happy with them?
2015 Ford Taurus toad
Old 11-14-2016, 12:22 AM   #13

THOR #4486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
Did you check the drivers or passenger side windows? I've seen them used in several videos. Remember the entire window frame has to come out so measure the outside of the window then take off about 1 1/2".

In almost all cases the doors on the RR have to be removed and the RR goes in on its back.

Usually at least one window will be tall enough for an RR go to in on its back.

One more option that may be better than taking out the big front window is having a slide removed. Best to use a slide that doesn't have a lot of wiring or plumbing.
Timon, measured the passenger window and it is plenty big enough to get the fridge out with room to spare. Never realize how big those windows are even though we sit next to them. I'm hoping that with the fridge extended warranty, I wont have to deal with replacing the fridge for quite some time. Thanks for the tip.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
Old 11-14-2016, 01:11 PM   #14

Model: 37KT
State: Illinois
THOR #978
I read the extended warranty for the Whirlpool installed in my Challenger and it states that whirlpool does not cover refrigerators mounted in RVs.
Did Whirlpool change their policy. I also called and was told the same thing by Whirlpool.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:36 PM   #15

THOR #4486
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsheets View Post
I read the extended warranty for the Whirlpool installed in my Challenger and it states that whirlpool does not cover refrigerators mounted in RVs.
Did Whirlpool change their policy. I also called and was told the same thing by Whirlpool.
I was told by Thor that as long as you uninstall it, Whirlpool will cover the unit under warranty. That was the case for me. I removed the fridge from the cabinetry so it was free standing, called Whirlpool and they came out twice so far to service it, no charge.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
Old 11-14-2016, 01:50 PM   #16

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:
Joe, I do not have an extended warranty on the entire coach. My train of thought is once the Ford chassis warranty expires in two years, I would look into an extended warranty for the coach. What company do you use for your extended warranty and are you happy with them?
Mine is American Guardian. I negotiated it in at the end of the deal when I purchased my coach so the dealer picked the company. I haven't had to deal with them so I can't say if they will be good or bad. I do know that they are pretty open about letting you pick where you have work done as long as you contact them first.

If I had any Thor warranty left when I bought my Challenger I wouldn't have even considered an extended warranty. I had about 7 months of Ford warranty left so I felt it was worth an extra $1,700 to get the coach covered.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:42 PM   #17

Model: palazzo 33.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #741
refrigerator again

Our whirlpool lost fluid also - had it a little over 3 years. A sears guy came out and replaced the fluid and it worked ok for about 3 months. We have an extended warrenty. We are thinking about buying a different model and perhaps one smaller. It is a heavy stress on our 2014 Palazzo slide. Also could add a shelf above in the encloser. Any advise appreciated!!

Barb
2 people, 3 dogs
2014 Palazzo 33.2
Old 08-17-2017, 04:32 PM   #18

THOR #4486
Here is what I did to make the removal process easier next time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FridgeMOD1.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	6393   Click image for larger version

Name:	FridgeMOD2.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	6394  

2015 Ford Taurus toad
Old 08-17-2017, 04:58 PM   #19

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
Thanks Tom, I'm going to try to do the same!
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:21 PM   #20

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
I know there seem to be a lot of issues with residential refrigerators in RV's. A tech told me the residential units are not designed for the road vibrations they are subjected to in RV's. According to him, their life expectancy in an RV is much shorter then when in a stick house.