Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2018, 01:45 AM   #41
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justcurious View Post
When plugged in all the time and running refrigerator and A/C aren't you worried about using up the useful life of these very expensive items?
No. In fact there are schools of thought that not using them shortens their lifespan, especially the absorption fridge.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:30 AM   #42

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
In the Northeast I leave mine plugged in all winter. I don't use any appliances and the battery is on a slow trickle charge. Batteries are always full, water was 3/4" low in the Spring. Every 3 weeks I run the Onan and plug a 1500W space heater into the outdoor plug to put some load on the gen for about 30 min. Start the coach every couple weeks to recharge the eng battery.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:31 AM   #43

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3885
I usually plug in to shore power 24 hours out. For those that keep plugged in all winter, what percent increase in the electricity bill does that cause?
2016 Thor Gemini (nice first)
Rover Gemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:00 PM   #44

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justcurious View Post
When plugged in all the time and running refrigerator and A/C aren't you worried about using up the useful life of these very expensive items?
Considering if we were full-timers these things would be running all the time, it's the same as if plugged in. Also, most appliances wear out sooner if not used than if used frequently. We had a travel trailer plugged in whem. it inuse for a few years, and all was well with that.. And lastly...we have the extended warranty for 5 years. So if a component wears out during that time it will be replaced.
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:08 PM   #45
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
"Use it; or lose it."

Plug them in, and let them run!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:56 PM   #46

Model: Four Winds 30D
State: New Jersey
THOR #13701
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenbear View Post
My RV originally came with a single stage converter. That would indeed overcharge the battery if left plugged in. I replaced the old charger with a modern 3 stage charger. It charges the battery much faster than the old charger then reduces the charging voltage in stages and finally reaches a voltage that keeps the battery charged with no danger of overcharging.

To handle the high charging current I increased the size of the converter to battery wire.
Interested, How did you know what kind of converter your coach came with, I purchased my 2018 Four Winds 30D used and cant find the description in any of my material. (Thor's User guides are generic for all their models... hard to tell what mine has?)
Old 11-14-2018, 05:12 PM   #47

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Generally Thor Motorcoach puts a list of all installed equipment on the inside door of the wardrobe closet in the bedroom. Additionally, the manufacture's name is usually on the outside door of the power-center. World Family Company (WFCO) and Parallex Power Supply (PPS) are the most common. It is uncommon to use a different manufacture's converter with the installed power-center. Travel trailers and 5th wheels sometimes use an inverter/charger but that is uncommon in MCs.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:15 PM   #48

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevad View Post
Interested, How did you know what kind of converter your coach came with, I purchased my 2018 Four Winds 30D used and cant find the description in any of my material. (Thor's User guides are generic for all their models... hard to tell what mine has?)

I suspect that your converter is a modern one. My RV is 12 years old and the multi stage converters were relatively new at that time. You could tell what your converter is doing by monitoring the 12v at the battery while plugged in and see if the voltage decreases as the battery charges. When first starting to charge a discharged battery a modern multi stage converter will charge at 14+ volts, then drop to 13+ volts and then drop still lower when the battery is charged.

Of course, if you can locate the converter, the make and model is probably marked on it.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:31 PM   #49

State: Colorado
THOR #13138
Haha!
Old 11-15-2018, 12:45 PM   #50

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
We are plugged in 24/7 at home. Keep A/C at 82 during summer. We do monitor and use unit every couple of weeks. No issues, batteries rarely require any water. I test them with tv and inverter we added.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:07 PM   #51

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
"When plugged in all the time and running refrigerator and A/C aren't you worried about using up the useful life of these very expensive items?"

If it's a residential refrigerator...no. The one in the big house has been running for over 20 years. A new A/C is a few hundred dollars and they run for years on end with no issues...again, just like the one in the big house. I don't see this as a huge expense for the pleasure you will get out of having it comfortable in the coach. The dehumidifying effect justifies it for me. I live in a very humid climate and mildew hides around every corner.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:27 PM   #52

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
" I live in a very humid climate and mildew hides around every corner.
Me too. Do Share? Have you ever found any and where? Want to make sure I'm not overlooking anyplace it could be hiding.

It's been sitting in storage and I use Damp Rid. I do my best to inspect it for mold/mildew every time I'm out there.

I open all cabinets and draws. I keep water in the toilet for the seal. It was designed to stay wet so I keep it that way. Petroleums break down rubber (eventually) and I avoid those.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:28 PM   #53

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #11928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevad View Post

I received no like info when I took delivery of my new Axis last June. I emailed Thor customer service, and just received a listing of my installed equipment by Mdl, S/N, Description, and Vendor. Not sure why this info was not originally included with my vehicle documentation, but Customer Svc was quick to respond to my request. Very helpful info. Example: my converter is listed as:
"Model 8955" 55 Amp, 30 Amp AC, 11 DC Circuits by Arterra Distribution.

Hope this helps....
Old 12-04-2018, 04:35 PM   #54

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
When we had our TT, I would disconnect shore power in the winter, remove the battery and put it in the garage with a battery tender attached. I’d winterize the water system, clean out the fridge and leave the doors open, then cover the TT until spring. No maintenance required.
Now that we have a motorhome, I’m debating about leaving shore power hooked up all winter or just put battery tenders on the house and chassis batteries. Everything else ( water system, fridge and covering) would be the same.
There are advantages to both approaches.
My questions are;
Since I should “exercise” the genny, and probably start the engine periodically, does it make any difference which approach I take?
Would it be reasonably safe, to leave a small electric space heater running inside the covered motorhome to keep moisture out? (In that case, shore power would be necessary)
Am I risking shortening the life of the converter by leaving shore power on an unused RV all winter?
Thanks for any input.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:56 PM   #55
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
As long as you've got some airflow around the converter: I can't think of a reason why you'd be shortening it's lifespan...
But I'm not the "sharpest Crayola in this box"; when it comes to electrical questions anyway...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:54 PM   #56

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
I always leave the power connected to my 2006 MH during the winter, however, I turn off the built-in converter and connect a simple charger to the house battery, and another to the engine battery. Uses less current and probably causes less wear. No problems so far.

If I want to run the engine I just unplug the charger and turn on the converter.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:14 AM   #57

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
We keep the MH on shore power at all times at home.
From what I can see here this is OK.
While I didn't generate this post I'll say
thanks for the input from everyone.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:23 AM   #58
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenbear View Post
I always leave the power connected to my 2006 MH during the winter, however, I turn off the built-in converter and connect a simple charger to the house battery, and another to the engine battery. Uses less current and probably causes less wear. No problems so far.

If I want to run the engine I just unplug the charger and turn on the converter.
Both the charger and the converter only supply the current requested by the loads on the system, soooo: same current used in regardless.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote