Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2018, 09:26 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Tennessee
THOR #6584
I have a 20 amp service for my RV in the garage. In winter, I turn on the tank heaters (black and gray), use a tower heater set to 55 degrees and empty the water heater. I leave the plug out of the heater, just in case. I do not add any antifreeze to the system, I just drain it. The black and gray tank has a bout two gallons of clean water and the gray tank which I check every week due to evaporation thru the vents from the heaters. Seems to work for me. In summer I am traveling about every other week so no special items other than running the vent fans to reduce humidity. Looking for any feedback.

Old 09-23-2018, 12:52 PM   #22

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submansd View Post
I have a 20 amp service for my RV in the garage. In winter, I turn on the tank heaters (black and gray), use a tower heater set to 55 degrees and empty the water heater. I leave the plug out of the heater, just in case. I do not add any antifreeze to the system, I just drain it. The black and gray tank has a bout two gallons of clean water and the gray tank which I check every week due to evaporation thru the vents from the heaters. Seems to work for me. In summer I am traveling about every other week so no special items other than running the vent fans to reduce humidity. Looking for any feedback.
I'm in the PNW and also in non heated garage. Look's like you have more than covered. I only plug my batteries to battery tender and don't worry about freeze. Has gotten down to about 17* couple times, nothing freezes in garage which is 40x40 insulated pole barn.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:39 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
For all those that have convinced me to keep RV plugged at home year round; I have part 2 of the question.

Is it safe to have it covered up (mine would be under a very nice shade tree with sun during the morning hours till about noon) while it is plugged up and with AC or Heat on?

The leaves drop in the fall from August - December before they are all gone. It is one of Texas's native Cedar Elm that has beautiful color and very nice shade around the pool as well.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:31 PM   #24

Model: Freedom elite
State: Florida
THOR #12255
[emoji269] trees [emoji268] are very dirty and leave awful marks on roof and sides. I’m planning to cover mine with a screen like fence cover that will let it breathe as well. Camper cover too expensive and a pain to put on and off. Good luck [emoji256]
Old 09-23-2018, 06:54 PM   #25

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
I saw some screen like cover that go over the top of RVs last week at RV Show in Dallas. https://www.shaderv.com

This may not be what you reference, but for a 30' rig this is around $700. I have seen regular full body covers for as low as $200 and as high as $400.

I am a cover nut. I don't buy anything new without getting a cover for it. The OEM covers are great if you make the dealer throw it in or cut you a deal if you buy from them. I even had the builder throw in a free solar cover my pool. It was a mess of a disaster to use. After about 5 years, I finally just dumped it. The RV cover may be the same hassle, but the alternatives I don't like.

I want my RV at home with me; NOT at Storage Facility. I am not buying full body paint model, so I plan to wax the RV twice a year and keep it under cover when leaves are falling (now), storms (especially hail), the August Texas heat, and when I don't expect to use for two weeks or more.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:09 PM   #26

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJanTan View Post
Thanks for the helpful replies. I thought it would be a good idea but had some concern about it somehow weakening the coach battery.
nope, but leaving it in storage WITHOUT shore power will!
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:29 PM   #27

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
My RV is plugged into a 15 Amp service whenever we are home. It is also uncovered. Usually most of the things in the RV are turned off. We turn on the refrig a day or so before we leave on a trip. Never had a problem.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:33 PM   #28
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I don't normally leave mine plugged in: I'll hook it up about once a Month for a couple of days...
But it's gone "back on the juice" now; in preparation for our next trip!
(I plugged it in about a week early: next weekend is already shot for me... )
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:43 PM   #29

THOR #7227
In general I leave mine plugged up. Even though I winterize I add heat when the temps drop to teens or lower, just as another safety measure.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:17 PM   #30

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
At home.....

Our coach is always plugged in...50a....... No Issues.
All slide(s) are retracted

Full fresh water tank
Full diesel tank ( and "doctor" the fuel for winter temps)
Set up the de-humidifier on kitchen counter and run the drain hose to sink

set zone 1 to A/C @ 80 deg.

fire off the AquaHot (Electric & diesel)

set zone 2 to heat @ 55 deg
set zone 3 & 4 @ 50 deg (basement/water/sewer) & tank bays..
Haven't had a reason to winterize...even down to -0(f) deg or colder.
...........your results may vary...........
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:20 AM   #31

Model: Tiffin wayfarer 2bw
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #8609
I keep our Hurricane plugged in, the house batts in store and connected to a float charger. Keeps them at a comfortable 12.7 volts. Getting the batteries out is a nightmare so only need to check them twice a year. I also keep the coach batt on a float charger.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:05 AM   #32

Model: 2018 Challenger 37 YT
State: Kentucky
THOR #8995
I stay plugged in all time.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:08 AM   #33

THOR #7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by donmacd View Post
I keep our Hurricane plugged in, the house batts in store and connected to a float charger. Keeps them at a comfortable 12.7 volts. Getting the batteries out is a nightmare so only need to check them twice a year. I also keep the coach batt on a float charger.

Curious on why you would use float chargers and keep it plugged in? Why keep it plugged in?
Old 09-29-2018, 12:08 PM   #34

THOR #8609
Just convenient for me that way. I plug float charger in to coach outlet. I could unplug the coach and run an extension to the charger if I wanted to, same result.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:38 PM   #35

THOR #7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by donmacd View Post
Just convenient for me that way. I plug float charger in to coach outlet. I could unplug the coach and run an extension to the charger if I wanted to, same result.

I thought something in the coach provided basically the same function as a float charger am I mistaken?
Old 09-29-2018, 01:50 PM   #36

THOR #8609
I think that it depends on your converter/charger. My service dept advised me that my converter could boil the battery if left on continuously
Old 09-29-2018, 02:04 PM   #37

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
My RV originally came with a single stage converter. That would indeed overcharge the battery if left plugged in. I replaced the old charger with a modern 3 stage charger. It charges the battery much faster than the old charger then reduces the charging voltage in stages and finally reaches a voltage that keeps the battery charged with no danger of overcharging.

To handle the high charging current I increased the size of the converter to battery wire.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:24 PM   #38

THOR #7227
I guess I need to research some things. I just want to take proper care of this baby she cost more than the first house I bought.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:16 PM   #39

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
"Unlike most of you, I live in Alaska for seven months --summer-- in Alaska and our motorhome sits in Atlanta, Georgia for that period."

Send me the keys and I'll "keep an eye on it" for you.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:49 AM   #40

Model: Quantum 26 ft.
THOR #7835
When plugged in all the time and running refrigerator and A/C aren't you worried about using up the useful life of these very expensive items?