Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2019, 10:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #15962
Three different service to deal

So your going to buy a new motorhome. Watch out. You will have to deal with either two or three services depending. If your home sits on a chassis Thor will not entertain it's there problem if it steers wrong, has engine, wobbles, or any other stuff. Even as you drive it off the lot. I kick myself in the ass for not test driving like a new car. I have to say this is not my first RV let alone a motorhome this my second. Three fifth wheels before. I seen diesel pushers and always dteamed of owning one. Never dreaming it's a nightmare. Please please do not take the dealerships word it's a great product without living in it first. You ask how. All dealerships have a place for you to hook up.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:34 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Others on this forum will tell you it doesn't matter what brand or how much they cost all motorhome are problems waiting to happen. They are all built with low quality components and poor workmanship. The only way to get them done right is to shell out big bucks and plenty of your own time to take them back to the factory that built them to have them fix what they didn't do right in the first place. The only thing in life worse than a RV company are the dealers that sell them. As consumers we are all supposed to know this up front and just bend over and hold on to our ankles.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:04 PM   #3

THOR #15962
Yeah I'm learning that. Thor keeps giving me come see us and will fix your problems. But all the dates are fill till 2025. LOL. Must be cause all the problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Others on this forum will tell you it doesn't matter what brand or how much they cost all motorhome are problems waiting to happen. They are all built with low quality components and poor workmanship. The only way to get them done right is to shell out big bucks and plenty of your own time to take them back to the factory that built them to have them fix what they didn't do right in the first place. The only thing in life worse than a RV company are the dealers that sell them. As consumers we are all supposed to know this up front and just bend over and hold on to our ankles.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:43 PM   #4

State: Michigan
THOR #12333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie200 View Post
So your going to buy a new motorhome. Watch out. You will have to deal with either two or three services depending. If your home sits on a chassis Thor will not entertain it's there problem if it steers wrong, has engine, wobbles, or any other stuff. Even as you drive it off the lot. I kick myself in the ass for not test driving like a new car. I have to say this is not my first RV let alone a motorhome this my second. Three fifth wheels before. I seen diesel pushers and always dteamed of owning one. Never dreaming it's a nightmare. Please please do not take the dealerships word it's a great product without living in it first. You ask how. All dealerships have a place for you to hook up.
So what are your problems?
funmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:30 PM   #5

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Nearly everyone on this forum has had their share of issues but most are worked out by the first year. Dealers put your new coach in line behind too many others and it may be weeks before your coach ever sees a technician. All this time your warranty is clicking away. Best to make an appointment for a month or six weeks before the warranty expires, use the rig as much as possible adding to a repair list. You will be able to identify more items or insure that there are no more items for repair.

As far as running gear I would never go to Thor. Ford has done a very good job in that department. You will likely need a Ford Truck Center for most issues. And you won't wait weeks to get it in. I do understand Ford readily works on Class C's and B's but some issues with Class A's are grey areas as to who is responsible.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:32 PM   #6

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I'm not getting it either.
You didn't test drive, had plenty prior experience, and you're angry about things you won't define?
Old 10-11-2019, 10:03 PM   #7

THOR #15962
Driving away steering pulled to the right, loud rattling sound above my head, water pouring under chassis, AC rear quit working, awning leaking, TV door leaking rust in compartment, main slide quit working, check engine light on. So as I said I have to deal with three different customer service. Thor for coach problem, Freightliner for steering, cummins for engine. Camping world had home for three weeks didn't fix anything. I needed to use it as relatives coming into town I pulled it out. They taped the windshield, as they had to contract work out. Two weeks away, so I took home to Freightliner for steering, alignment out of pocket cost 520 as it's not covered, its home ownership expense. During that time check engine light came on. Three sensors later, two wiring harnesses still comes on. Two weeks later still in shop with no idea of getting fixed anytime soon. My trip to Florida on hold. Wife is fuming, I'm not happy. Service center where it's at isn't to excited about it either because they have to deal with Cummins for approval to do anything. Same with Freightliner. Freightliner by the way for steering said to take measurements left and right. Which they did. They than said to shim the right side up but failed to give service center part number. They couldn't find parts so called Freightliner for part numbers and was told it's a aftermarket item no such part you need to make them. So two days wasted on that. Cummins said send ECM data to them so we can read info. They got info this morning but didn't call service center to tell them what if anything they found. So now I have to wait till monday as cummins level 3 guy has gone home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by funmoneypit View Post
So what are your problems?
Old 10-11-2019, 10:07 PM   #8

THOR #15962
Unlike a car that's shipped on a truck motorhomes have to be driven to the dealer by qualified drivers. If there's a problem its reported I thought I was wrong. Silly me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I'm not getting it either.
You didn't test drive, had plenty prior experience, and you're angry about things you won't define?
Old 10-12-2019, 09:42 AM   #9

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
With respect to the alignment issue.....

When I bought my 2020 Magnitude recently, the dealer was very clear that it was aligned at the factory after it was built but I would have to fully load it and have alignment checked.

At first I thought it was the dealer just covering their backsides..... but sure enough there was Thor documentation that said the exact same thing.

I did read that if you have a verified alignment issue during the first year, Ford will at least align it under warranty. Have not tried that but have read a a few people who are able to get it done.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:59 PM   #10

THOR #11781
Ford did not cover my alignment issue. They stated that Thor messed it up during the manufacture of the coach. Thor agreed to that by placing a sticker on the wall near the drivers seat stating that the alignment was good from the Ford factory but bad from the Thor factory and as an owner, I would have to pay to get it corrected.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:08 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Ford did not cover my alignment issue. They stated that Thor messed it up during the manufacture of the coach. Thor agreed to that by placing a sticker on the wall near the drivers seat stating that the alignment was good from the Ford factory but bad from the Thor factory and as an owner, I would have to pay to get it corrected.
No Thor Motorcoach plant has ever modified any chassis They don't posses the skills, machinery or certification to modify any chassis. All chassis modifications for all Ford, Freightliner and Spartan chassis used by Thor Industriesis done my MOryde International.

MORryde, a NTEA member and a NHTSA registrar, is considered an intermediate stage manufacturer. We follow all applicable FMVSS requirements and label each modified chassis as required by NHTSA. Additionally, every modified chassis adheres to Ford QVM guidelines, as presented in bulletins, including Q14, Q18, Q40 and Q140. QVM certification applies only to the final stage manufacturer; however, MORryde complies with all appropriate QVM guidelines. Our customers are audited routinely for QVM compliance, and during those audits, MORryde's work is inspected and routinely determined to meet or exceed the QVM standard.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:02 PM   #12

THOR #11781
Well then, Morryde should have paid for my alignment. But the real point I mean emphasize is that Thor should make sure every RV that leaves their factory is safe to operate and they don't.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:08 PM   #13

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Well then, Morryde should have paid for my alignment. But the real point I mean emphasize is that Thor should make sure every RV that leaves their factory is safe to operate and they don't.
I'll have to read of a wreck, any wreck ever, of a Thor unit due to the initial alignment set up.
One article will at least let me consider the inability of the driver, six articles will allow me to begin to think there is a chance of a chance its unsafe.

I bet it's right next to the article about propane fridges blowing up gas stations.

The unit is safe to drive with the factory settings. It isn't pleasant, but it's safe. I'll go as far as to say 98% of people put 30,000 to 150,000 miles on their coach without EVER getting the alignment adjusted from factory setting.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:07 AM   #14

THOR #11781
Well duckface, you never drove my rig before it was aligned and reset to Ford's factory settings so your comment has no validity. As many people on this forum have posted, Thor delivers motorhomes that are not ready to be safely operated. If they did, there would be no marketplace for steering stabilizers, trac bars, sumosprings, etc. That market place in and of itself is proof that Thor and other manufacturers sell undriveable motorhomes.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:21 AM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
All motorhomes should get the front aligned after loading them up for travel. Best $140 I've spent

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:42 PM   #16

State: Illinois
THOR #4121
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
Nearly everyone on this forum has had their share of issues but most are worked out by the first year. Dealers put your new coach in line behind too many others and it may be weeks before your coach ever sees a technician. All this time your warranty is clicking away. Best to make an appointment for a month or six weeks before the warranty expires, use the rig as much as possible adding to a repair list. You will be able to identify more items or insure that there are no more items for repair.

As far as running gear I would never go to Thor. Ford has done a very good job in that department. You will likely need a Ford Truck Center for most issues. And you won't wait weeks to get it in. I do understand Ford readily works on Class C's and B's but some issues with Class A's are grey areas as to who is responsible.
Something to watch, Ford has "truck" centers and "heavy" truck centers. Your Class A will only be addressed in a "heavy" truck center. In my area there is only one and they won't make an appointment, it is literally first come, first serve which is pretty crappy of Ford. I took mine over with what I thought was an appointment and was told I'd have to leave it for at least 3 days, just to get checked out. When I asked them why I couldn't make an appointment just to get it done, I was told "truckers" pay cash and are way more profitable than warranty work on my RV. NICE TO KNOW.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:49 PM   #17

THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billr580 View Post
Something to watch, Ford has "truck" centers and "heavy" truck centers. Your Class A will only be addressed in a "heavy" truck center. In my area there is only one and they won't make an appointment, it is literally first come, first serve which is pretty crappy of Ford. I took mine over with what I thought was an appointment and was told I'd have to leave it for at least 3 days, just to get checked out. When I asked them why I couldn't make an appointment just to get it done, I was told "truckers" pay cash and are way more profitable than warranty work on my RV. NICE TO KNOW.
In my area we have two regular Ford dealers that have the facilities to work on Class C motorhomes and one of those will work on Class As. Both of these dealers sell medium duty Ford trucks so they have the facilities. Almost all businesses will put cash customers in front of warranty dealers. Cash is still king.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:00 PM   #18

State: Illinois
THOR #4121
I have 4 Ford dealers close by, 1 does Class C's but will tell you they prefer not and just started doing those about 3 months ago, the 1 that does Class A's is about 20 miles away and only sells medium and heavy duty trucks and vans. I guess my big gripe is the lack of concern for my vehicle shown by them, their lot is fenced but a visual look around shows holes big enough to walk through and OF COURSE they have the obligatory "we aren't responsible for theft" signs.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:46 PM   #19

Model: Freedom Elite
State: North Carolina
THOR #2887
I purchased a Thor Class C (Freedom Elite) from Camping World. They convinced me to buy the Good Sam 4 year warranty for $4,000. I felt, based on their saying that this would be a wise investment. Well 6 months before the warranty expired by Generator would not start. Camping World charged me $200+ to diagnose the problem. They said it was an issue with the carburetor and would have to be replaced ($1600), but they thought the warranty would cover the cost. Lo and behold turns out the Good Sam warranty has numerous exclusions the carburetor was one of the exclusions. Now that the warranty has expired I get a weekly call from Good Sam wanting me to renew the warranty. I told them I felt they screwed me on the carburetor exclusion and told them not to call me again. Somehow they seem to not understand and continue call me to renew. Screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:02 PM   #20

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billr580 View Post
I have 4 Ford dealers close by, 1 does Class C's but will tell you they prefer not and just started doing those about 3 months ago, the 1 that does Class A's is about 20 miles away and only sells medium and heavy duty trucks and vans. I guess my big gripe is the lack of concern for my vehicle shown by them, their lot is fenced but a visual look around shows holes big enough to walk through and OF COURSE they have the obligatory "we aren't responsible for theft" signs.

I will consider myself very luck in having a Ford Truck Center that is more than happy to make an appointment and get the work done when promised. It is not a heavy truck dealer ( no road tractors) but they do have diesel mechanics and have capacity to lift class A's and they are about twenty miles away. I would happily drive 100 miles and more to a good service shop.