Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2018, 11:48 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickymac View Post
jpmihalk,

You have a 35C and I have a 34f, I am assuming that our battery storage is in the same location and the same size. Did you have any trouble getting the 4 batteries to fit? I only have 2 now, but I do have a lot of room.

No, they fit just fine. There are 3 in a row with the 4th one sideways behind the three. Make sure you get straps for the additional batteries, they aren’t there otherwise.

FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:40 AM   #22

State: California
THOR #10562
Scheduled to get some deep cycle Batteries from camping world in the morning... not sure of there brand but they must warranty at least 3 to 5 years... any feed back on these guys?
Old 03-02-2018, 02:10 AM   #23

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I replaced mine last week with Interstate Deep Cycle RV/Marine batteries that I bought at Costco for $80 apiece.

Go slow - take a picture and mark each connection. Replacement is easy!

But I figured that as long as I was pulling the batteries, I would install the Qwik-Fill Battery Watering System. Getting to the cells in the front (right) house battery has always been a chore.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:08 AM   #24

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAdriver View Post
Scheduled to get some deep cycle Batteries from camping world in the morning... not sure of there brand but they must warranty at least 3 to 5 years... any feed back on these guys?
I am not a CW fan to begin with. We had LifeLine AGM batteries installed for our chassis batteries. Two 6 volt instead. Whatever works for you.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:59 AM   #25
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
I will be putting those same two in my Axis this weekend funny thing about yesterday was before I went to Sam's Club I was at Costco the kid there showed me where they switched to all Interstate at Costco but he said the funny part was when the rep came in to do the changeover they just ripped all of the Kirkland labels off the batteries and replace them with the appropriate Interstate Battery labels. If you read on many of the forums there seems to be only 3 battery companies that make batteries now.Attachment 9204Attachment 9205
Fyi price drop yesterday.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180302_120608.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	9238
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 01:08 PM   #26

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
I suggest doing a little research on differences between Marine/RV Deep Cycle batteries and Golf Cart Deep Cycle batteries to ensure the best battery design for the intended application.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:17 PM   #27
Site Team

THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I suggest doing a little research on differences between Marine/RV Deep Cycle batteries and Golf Cart Deep Cycle batteries to ensure the best battery design for the intended application.
I do agree ! We use ours 90% of the time for travel and tailgating no boondocking so the batteries showing here are many times better than the ones that came with our unit, that I replaced. I have just changed all three batteries one chassis two coach and added the progressive Dynamics converter 4655 model I'm feeling pretty confident now. For my application and use.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:43 PM   #28

Model: 2017 Windsport 34J
State: Alabama
THOR #5645
I have used Duracells from SAMs for years in cars, trucks, tractors, boats & RVs with no problems. Here's an interesting article in another post from an English bloke about how to hook up batteries. It seems to make sense to me, but what do I know?
WarEagleDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:44 PM   #29

Model: 2017 Windsport 34J
THOR #5645
The article!

SmartGauge Electronics - Interconnecting multiple batteries to form one larger bank
WarEagleDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:19 PM   #30

THOR #8876
I thought I'd just post that I'm also from Alabama with a 34F since this thread seems to be attracting them.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:13 PM   #31

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Just wondering, how many AH are the original equipment batteries in the VEGAS/AXIS?

I just want to get as close to the same capacity as what I have now (or better)
Old 03-06-2018, 11:15 PM   #32

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
It would be difficult to know since they hide the original label.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:20 PM   #33
Site Team

THOR #7074
If I had to take a guess they're probably 55 AH.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:26 PM   #34

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
It would be difficult to know since they hide the original label.
True...
Old 03-06-2018, 11:29 PM   #35
Site Team

THOR #7074
The good news is under the stairs you could fit 2 group 27 or 2 group 29 or 2 group 31 so you have a lot to choose from if you don't want to make any alterations. This is what I'm putting in. 105 AH each.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180302_120608.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	9284Click image for larger version

Name:	20180302_120805.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	9285
Old 03-07-2018, 01:45 AM   #36

THOR #10665
I just tried to have 4 golf cart/6 volt batteries installed in my 2018 Thor Freedom Elite 24FE a 25 foot Class C in a Mercedes Sprinter body and the service department just advised they can’t fit any 6 volts under the stair way although they converted the storage compartment immediately adjacent to the stairs into a proper battery compartment. They physically tried to install 2 of them under the stair step and the smallest ones which I think he said were group 24 even would not fit. So, now going with 4 12 volt deep charge batteries. Somewhat bummed by this but several others had warned they probably won’t fit under the stair step and they appear to be right. Anyone have any experience or knowledge on this issue?
Old 03-07-2018, 02:41 AM   #37

THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevad View Post
I just tried to have 4 golf cart/6 volt batteries installed in my 2018 Thor Freedom Elite 24FE a 25 foot Class C in a Mercedes Sprinter body and the service department just advised they can’t fit any 6 volts under the stair way although they converted the storage compartment immediately adjacent to the stairs into a proper battery compartment. They physically tried to install 2 of them under the stair step and the smallest ones which I think he said were group 24 even would not fit. So, now going with 4 12 volt deep charge batteries. Somewhat bummed by this but several others had warned they probably won’t fit under the stair step and they appear to be right. Anyone have any experience or knowledge on this issue?
On our 24.1 Axis, we put in two 6 volt AGM batts and put them on their sides to fit under the step. Added a sheet metal guard to cover the exposed terminals. Just a thought.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:54 AM   #38

THOR #10665
I sent an email to the service department asking them if they could do that explaining your putting them on their sides and showing them a picture. Hope to find out tomorrow morning. The modification was almost done late this afternoon so should be completed tomorrow. It’s a very good thought, thanks!
Old 03-07-2018, 03:42 AM   #39

THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevad View Post
I sent an email to the service department asking them if they could do that explaining your putting them on their sides and showing them a picture. Hope to find out tomorrow morning. The modification was almost done late this afternoon so should be completed tomorrow. It’s a very good thought, thanks!
Redlands Truck and RV Service did the job for me. I most likely wouldn't have done it on my own because I just never thought of it. I did buy LifeLine batteries which are a bit pricey but I wanted the upgraded performance and length of service over the 12 volts.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:07 AM   #40

THOR #10665
Time for New Batteries

Interesting, I just reviewed the Lifeline battery company web site. The owner’s manual says they can be install in any orientation except upside down. I will discuss with the service department personnel working on my RV. Here is the paragraph where they discuss the topic.

“5.2 Installation
Be sure there is adequate ventilation in the area where the batteries are to be installed. Refer to Section 6.1 for specific safety hazards associated with the emission of hydrogen gas. The space surrounding adjacent batteries should be at least 0.25 inch to permit airflow around each battery.
Batteries may be installed in any orientation except upside down (i.e., terminals facing the earth). When batteries are installed on their sides there is a remote risk that a small quantity of electrolyte will be expelled from the vents during charge. Therefore, suitable precautions should be taken to protect the surroundings from exposure to any drops that are expelled. For example, a plastic containment tray could be placed under the batteries.
Batteries may be connected in series (voltage adds, capacity stays the same), in parallel (capacity adds, voltage stays the same), or a combination of series and parallel (voltage and capacity adds). Each of these connection options are illustrated in Figures 5-1 through 5-3, respectively.
Always use batteries of the same size and condition in multi-battery installations. Connect batteries using cabling that is sized for the maximum load of the system. The voltage drop on the cables during charging should not exceed 0.2 volts at full output. Protect the battery terminals from shorting during installation. When replacing batteries, it is best to replace the entire set of batteries so they remain balanced.”