Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2016, 11:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds
State: Texas
THOR #4916
Tire Damage Due to Valve Stem Extenders

We have recently purchased a 2017 Thor Four Winds class C motor home. The day I went to pick it up one of the dual wheels (inside tires} was flat. Camping World tried to add air but it would not hold. Ended up taking it to a local tire company and the found the valve stem extenders for the inside tires where both loose. But, the one that wouldn't hold air had the bracket that holds the valve in place (to add/check air), come loose and the valve stem messed up the outside of the tire due to the valve extension rubbing against it.
Camping World replaced the tire cost and the tire contractor put new valve stem extensions on with similar brackets to hold the stems in place to add/check air pressure.
The next trip I took, once again, the valve stem extenders both came off the brackets and this time two tires where damaged by the stems.
Camping World Service Mgr. tells me that he has never had any problems before with this issue but wants to notify Thor to see what can be done.
Does anyone have similar issues and/or solutions?

Old 08-02-2016, 11:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
This might be a Ford problem
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:34 PM   #3

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I had all sorts of headaches form the hose type extenders that came on my MH

ended up buying some rigid extenders, 5-1/2 inch, for the inner tires
along with a set of those rubber flange stabilizers.

I fought with one of these extenders not playing well with my TST TPTMS transmitter, but otherwise they have been good.

My preference i think would be duallyvalve set-up, but that requires demounting the tires.....
Old 08-03-2016, 09:13 PM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
I just bought a set, the type that have the aircraft quality braid over the flexible stem. I thought about putting them on, but bought a truckers tire gauge and air tip for my compressor. The truckers gauge will easily reach the inside duals as will the air tip. Down side is with the current set up there is no way to put the tire pressure transmitters on the rear duals. So for now, I'm doing without.

Side note, the only thing my tire pressure system did for me when I had it on my fifth wheel was to confirm the boom I heard and the plastic trim being littered all over the highway was mine.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:29 AM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
the issue I had with that approach, was that I couldn't get the dust cap on the inners.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:57 AM   #6

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
blw2, My dust caps are the type you apply the air hose directly, not the typical screw off black plastic caps.