Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2020, 01:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #17763
Tire inflators

2019 Thor Freedom Elite 22Fe. Wondering maybe any of you can suggest a good tire inflator for my RV. 2 Front tires 75 PDI the 4 back tires 65 PSI. I had a Kobalt from Lowes worked great till it gave out on me a week ago. I've been researching but cant seem to find one that wont hurt my pocket. Luckily I had a $7 extended warranty and they gave me my money back.

Old 08-16-2020, 01:52 PM   #2

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Many of the pancake compressors are inexpensive today. Porter Cable 6gal is $125. Some no-name brands are <$100. These work the best as they’ll inflate your tires in seconds and they store easy. I carry mine always. The 12v cigarette lighter plug ones are not suited for RV tires.
Old 08-16-2020, 02:02 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I bought a compressor from Wal-Mart that is good to 125 psi...

...but it takes a l o n g Time to fill a tire. Bringing one fro 0 to 80 psi took about 20 minutes.

Look at some of the offerings from Viair.
Old 08-16-2020, 02:34 PM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
The ryobi battery powered inflator requires no cord. You attach the chuck to the tire valve, set the pressure you want on a digital readout... And walk away to do another chore until the noise stops.
The size of half a shoe box.

There's a few references and pictures somewhere on the last three pages of the thread in my signature.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 04:48 PM   #5

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I bought a compressor from Wal-Mart that is good to 125 psi...

...but it takes a l o n g Time to fill a tire. Bringing one fro 0 to 80 psi took about 20 minutes.

Look at some of the offerings from Viair.
Many of us use the 12v 100% duty cycle Viair but it will hurt the pocket book

If you have space the pancake options or even single tank oil-less compressors work fine

You seem to have very low tire pressure set points by the way
Old 08-16-2020, 05:02 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I've been using a Porter Cable pancake but am thinking about Viair. Has anyone seen a Viair clone?
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:12 PM   #7

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I've been using a Porter Cable pancake but am thinking about Viair. Has anyone seen a Viair clone?
I have one.
The reliability is the same.
When offroading with a group someone always has a broken viair.
You need a long hose and a locking chuck and great patience for any regular compressor.

Harbor freight pancake at $39 if you can stand the noise and the 110v.

Old 08-16-2020, 05:45 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
...You seem to have very low tire pressure set points by the way
It's just a Sprinter: not. An E-450, or F53...
Old 08-16-2020, 06:03 PM   #9

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
I have bostitch compressor with 6 gallon tank and regulator so I don't have air pressure supply problem, but I bought this Dual Head Straight Air Chuck Inflator With Inline Gauge and it seems to be a pain to use? https://www.harborfreight.com/dual-h...uge-63570.html

More often than not; I think I am letting air out of the tires than adding? It is really nerving on trying to fill the backside dual tire (yes I have tire extension). My Merlin chuck does not lock, but I have seen them using this type of chuck and gauge at places like Just Tires; so I just bought one thinking I was going all out (not being cheap).

Anybody know what I may be doing wrong or can recommend the type of chuck and gauge I should use?

On the flip side, my local Just tires will check and fill my air pressure on all of the RV tires for free. But I wish to do when I am home or on the road.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:05 PM   #10

THOR #13932
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01NC...b_b_asin_title

I looked this up for you, saw it was half price, and bought another.
I'm not sure if you owe me $16

The best I've owned and I've owned a crap ton of them from home assembled at 5psi max to 400psi to the griot big digital to this.
You stab it like a knife or hook it like a hay hook. It has a pleasant kinda pop sound, you pull it off and it holds the reading for you to read.

There's a old post about the first one in my thread somewhere.
I used tulip paint to paint it fluorescent orange and glow in the dark.

Old 08-16-2020, 08:31 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
I've seen some "cheap" ones on Amazon but until my PC pancake craps out, I'm just looking. Thanks duck about the viair review. My luck has always been that when I buy what everyone else uses, I get the lemon. When I go cheap, it always works, but not always for very long.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:41 PM   #12

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I use this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006CVXGR0..._ILzoFb3QB9TFE

Its stores easy under the bed along with numerous blankets comforters that we will never use but the wife insists on them going camping with us.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:01 PM   #13

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01NC...b_b_asin_title

I looked this up for you, saw it was half price, and bought another.
I'm not sure if you owe me $16

The best I've owned and I've owned a crap ton of them from home assembled at 5psi max to 400psi to the griot big digital to this.
You stab it like a knife or hook it like a hay hook. It has a pleasant kinda pop sound, you pull it off and it holds the reading for you to read.

There's a old post about the first one in my thread somewhere.
I used tulip paint to paint it fluorescent orange and glow in the dark.
Actually my issue is more so with the the tire inflator itself. I do have a digital reader in my RV and cars; but not dual chuck as the one you show. I may get it because it would be great to have on RV to easily just check air pressure on the duals. It is in my Amazon Cart waiting until I get over $25 for free shipping

But let's assume, I am 10 psi low on one inside tire. When I connect the my Merlin chuck ( or try to anyway, I believe I may let more air out than I put in) Takes me awhile and I eventually get it; but it makes me a tad nervous to use, because I can spend a while trying to get air back in. It may be user error, or then again some may have encountered and know the trick or product I should use.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 08-16-2020, 09:13 PM   #14

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
It's just a Sprinter: not. An E-450, or F53...
Actual very close if not the same? My 29VE has F53 and it calls for 82 psi when cold? If I get over 80 I stop; and I am good. I would not want any higher than 80 - 82 in the Texas heat. Also helps for smoother ride which is need very much so for these things.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:37 PM   #15

THOR #13228
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Actually my issue is more so with the the tire inflator itself. I do have a digital reader in my RV and cars; but not dual chuck as the one you show. I may get it because it would be great to have on RV to easily just check air pressure on the duals. It is in my Amazon Cart waiting until I get over $25 for free shipping

But let's assume, I am 10 psi low on one inside tire. When I connect the my Merlin chuck ( or try to anyway, I believe I may let more air out than I put in) Takes me awhile and I eventually get it; but it makes me a tad nervous to use, because I can spend a while trying to get air back in. It may be user error, or then again some may have encountered and know the trick or product I should use.
I use the same chuck minus gauge and control valve. Chuck has full air pressure and once firmly inserted on the stem, provides air. No timing of chuck engagement and activating air delivery. This may be how you are losing air, with a delay in applying air pressure.

The straight chuck aligns well with the inside dual stem and I added a 1" steel extension to the outside dual stem, to get the right angle for the angled chuck head to engage solidly with the outside stem.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:15 PM   #16

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post

After a quick examination of your chuck to be sure the membrane is in good shape and no debris, hold the chuck square with the stem and pull back firmly

Already have the air pressure built up near the cut off psig but not quite to it
Old 08-16-2020, 10:58 PM   #17

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Viair. Yes more expensive than other alternatives but compact, easy to use, works well, for the rv and around the house.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:21 PM   #18

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
X2 on Viair RV unit. Spendy but awesome.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:32 PM   #19

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by DbleDutch View Post
No timing of chuck engagement and activating air delivery. This may be how you are losing air, with a delay in applying air pressure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Already have the air pressure built up near the cut off psig but not quite to it
Both of use guys have convinced me what I was afraid of, user error

This is brand new Merlin dual chuck inflator and it came highly rated. X2Dutch nailed on delay with air pressure as that may be root cause of woes.

Not sure what is meant by having air pressure near but not quite to it.

I have 150 psi source compressor, tanked is full with regulator wide open. I guess I should set at 82 PSI ?

I think I need to learn the timing / sequence to win to press lever relative to when it is square? The fact that I have been trying this on my new RV prolly has made me nervous out of fear of letting too much air out in a tire and having a situation worse than where I started

I think when I learn what/how to do, I will practice on a car tire or spare tire off the boat trailer.
Old 08-17-2020, 01:23 PM   #20

Model: Freedom Elite 24HE (24F)
State: Michigan
THOR #17874
I carry my Milwaukee M12 inflator and with the 4Ah battery it works well for topping up if needed. It displays current pressure and has an auto cutoff at a set pressure so I just set it and walk away for a couple minutes. It was getting regular use when I had a screw in the tire tread and lost 5-10psi each day until I got that patched.

I have an extension with one of those 90 degree flip quick disconnects on the end of its hose and it takes a little finagling to get it on the inner dually. Once it's on it's solid and when you take it off by flicking the lever it just makes a pop and comes off without letting a ton of air out like the screw on ones.