Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2014, 09:27 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane32E
State: Maryland
THOR #599
Shower Floor?

Hi, I have a 2009 Hurricane and I'm not the smallest guy on the block so when I get into the shower the floor is very soft, after looking under the floor I noticed that the plywood was 1/4' maybe 3/8' thick and not all over . I was curious if anyone else has encountered same and maybe had a home remedy. Thanks

Old 09-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #2

Model: freedom elite 23H
State: North Carolina
THOR #266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportfisherman25 View Post
Hi, I have a 2009 Hurricane and I'm not the smallest guy on the block so when I get into the shower the floor is very soft, after looking under the floor I noticed that the plywood was 1/4' maybe 3/8' thick and not all over . I was curious if anyone else has encountered same and maybe had a home remedy. Thanks
I took the Thor factory tour several weeks ago. Thor is putting a new support structure under the shower floor for this very reason. It consists of thicker plywood with braces and then solid insulation. You may be able to have this done at a dealer or at the thor factory. You can probably do this yourself, but it looks like a lot of work and requires removing the shower floor pan.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:01 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Mine is that way, but the shower is above the black water tank, so I am not sure if there is any plywood there or not or just resting on the tank.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:17 PM   #4

Model: freedom elite 23H
State: North Carolina
THOR #266
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
Mine is that way, but the shower is above the black water tank, so I am not sure if there is any plywood there or not or just resting on the tank.
I would hate to think that your shower pan is resting on top of your black tank without support. Is it worth the trouble for you to remove the shower walls and floor pan. I hope you are able to find a solution. Maybe a call to Thor may shed some light on a solution.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:14 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
All I felt is the floor seems soft, and I know where the holding tank is. It's not enough of a problem (not yet anyway) to tear the shower apart. I have bigger issues with the shower - I am 6'3" and have to stick my head into the skylight to stand up in the shower.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:46 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
As far as alternative ideas, if there is enough of a void, perhaps some of that expanding foam insulation might help shore things up. But it is probably a one-shot deal as if it doesn't work, you will probably have a difficult time if you want to remove that stuff.