Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2016, 03:53 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #1670
How is this different than a valve extender? I thought a valve cap was to provide debris prevention, this device still leaves the end unprotected.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:22 AM   #22

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by srolfe View Post
How is this different than a valve extender? I thought a valve cap was to provide debris prevention, this device still leaves the end unprotected.
These caps have a spring loaded cover (valve) on the end. When you press the tire pressure gauge down on the valve cap, the cover on the end opens and allows pressure measurement. when

This answer is for the subject valve caps. If you are questioning the black caps on the TPMS post above yours, let me know and I'll give you a different answer.

Ken
Old 07-19-2016, 04:02 PM   #23

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Bought and installed the EEZ TPMS for motorhome and digny. Works great and customer service is also great. Not as cheap as some other units but you get what you pay for.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:10 PM   #24

Model: 2015 Hurricane 32n
State: Georgia
THOR #2983
Looking at Carchet specs on Ebay, it looks like maximum psi is 87. That would prevent some of us from using it.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:42 PM   #25

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bowe View Post
Looking at Carchet specs on Ebay, it looks like maximum psi is 87. That would prevent some of us from using it.
Not the Axis/Vegas but yes on anything on the F-53 chassis.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:49 PM   #26

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Maryland
THOR #3227
Smile Tpms

There is a very information article in the December, 2015 issue of MotorHome magazine. It does not recommend one brand over another but does give a good detail of the features and suggested MSRP for 10 or 12 models.

I had a tire on my boat trailer blowout this past weekend. Note, I checked tire pressure and condition before departing. Because of an error on my part packing tools I had to have a service call to put my spare on. $150 cash on a Saturday afternoon. Hate to think of what it would cost on my MH.

I had been researching TPMS for a month or so because like others I am not comfortable driving 22,000 lbs down the road rolling the dice on a possible blowout. My weekend experience triggered me to order the EEZ 515 model on Amazon for just over $300 for the 6 tire version and can add up to 16 more sensors. I think four more will suffice once I figure out what my toad will be.
2013 Chrysler 300 "S", 1936 Chrysler C-8
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
Brakeman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:20 AM   #27
Ike

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #5949
Tireminder

I am having TM 77-6 monitoring system installed on my ACE 29.3, the other consideration was the Ezz product. The TM 77-6 will monitor up to 22 tires so you can put on multiple items I.e. Your tow, boat etc.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:37 AM   #28

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
the thing is, checking before the trip and monitoring during the trip are two very different things.
One is not really a replacement for the other.
As I understand it, most blow-outs occur not as a sudden even without warning, but instead happen because of slow leaks or increases in temperature.

So let's say you check your tires and they are all good. Then, pulling out of the parking lot, you pick up a nail resulting in a slow leak. An hour down the road, your pressure in that tire has now dropped to a danger point with a pressure too low for the load. temperatures are on the rise, and at some point.... bam!

I have also read where folks have improperly installed the brake system in their TOAD, while hooking up, so that the brakes are on and dragging. Their 300HP diesel doesn't even notice the dragging tire.... but their temperature alarm let them know right away.

I don't have an interest in any TPTMS company, and have never had an event where one saved me.... but the theory behind them make sense to me, enough for me to have invested in one for safety sake for my family and those on the road around me. I just wish they came integrated and standard, because I hate putzing around with these after market "bolt-on" things....
I agree 100% - I bought my TPMS with the hope that i will never need it. So far...so good!!! (Knock on wood!!)
Old 01-20-2017, 05:19 PM   #29

Model: Hurricane 29D
State: Florida
THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locknut View Post
I agree 100% - I bought my TPMS with the hope that i will never need it. So far...so good!!! (Knock on wood!!)
I have the same thoughts. The same reasoning makes me to carry a spare tire with me. I have never needed one over the last 65,000 miles, but might need it within the next 10 miles. Who knows? Same applies for a TPMS!

I even installed a Cross Fire dual tire system in the rear, this is just another peace of mind thing. Plus it has the advantage that I never ever need to crawl under the coach again to check the pressure of the inside tire!
Old 02-05-2017, 09:22 PM   #30

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Oklahoma
THOR #6418
TST is what we had on our trailer. We are moving them to our new to us 2015 Windsport 27K. I have been happy with them. Here is a link to an RV system with internal senders.

https://tsttruck.com/product/tst-507-internal/

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote