RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-24-2020, 02:29 PM   #1
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 37RB
State: South Dakota
Posts: 68
THOR #3558
Tire size.....curious

2016 Outlaw Class A.

Current tires are Michelin 255/80/22.5

Time for new tires all around. Has anyone put a wider tire on the front? If so how big did you go?
__________________

__________________
HarleyOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:50 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 4000
State: Utah
Posts: 276
THOR #15943
An 11x22.5 is already a big tire; don't know why you'd need a wider one unless you're going off road for a stretch.
Gary
GVP
__________________

__________________
GVP-The Boxcar Children is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:25 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 17,826
THOR #8860
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1606829110

What's the story here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	What He Said....jpg
Views:	42
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	27438  
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:27 PM   #4
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 37RB
State: South Dakota
Posts: 68
THOR #3558
Just looking for something to help with the wind and semi's passing. I have a SafetyPlus steering stabilizer and it helped tremendously. I just thought that since it's time for tires I'd look into adding a bit more rubber on the ground up front thinking it might add to the stability/lane holding.

Not looking to go 365s or something ridiculous, but thought a 275 would be nice
__________________
HarleyOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:42 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 17,826
THOR #8860
That might work out to about an inch and a-half of extra tread per axle...
...If the dualies in the rear can deal with it.
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:43 PM   #6
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 37RB
State: South Dakota
Posts: 68
THOR #3558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
That might work out to about an inch and a-half of extra tread per axle...
...If the dualies in the rear can deal with it.
Just on the front, won't mess with size on the rears
__________________
HarleyOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:03 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 17,826
THOR #8860
That's a horse of a different colot!
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1606838631
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horse of a different color.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	27443  
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:28 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
ducksface's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
Posts: 2,873
THOR #13932
I am casually, uncaringly, slightly, considering the considering of lower profile tires on larger wheels.
The wider tire is a factor of sidewall height.
Same sidewall height and wider tire and the sqirm lessens, but just by a factor of your added inch and a half vs sidewall height.

60 series tire vs 80 series tires affects the squirm by a factor of 25 to 33 percent.

19.5 vs 16 inch wheels for the same height tires is a genuine change in squirmability.

I have NEVER bought a set of rims in my entire life. I think as dressment they are the worst possible financial decision which can be made.

But
Consider bigger wheels, since you have to replace the tires anyway, if squirm is a factor in your tire decision.
__________________
Below is a link to most of my modifications either accomplished or pending.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...n-18996-3.html

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:32 PM   #9
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 37RB
State: South Dakota
Posts: 68
THOR #3558
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I am casually, uncaringly, slightly, considering the considering of lower profile tires on larger wheels.
The wider tire is a factor of sidewall height.
Same sidewall height and wider tire and the sqirm lessens, but just by a factor of your added inch and a half vs sidewall height.

60 series tire vs 80 series tires affects the squirm by a factor of 25 to 33 percent.

19.5 vs 16 inch wheels for the same height tires is a genuine change in squirmability.

I have NEVER bought a set of rims in my entire life. I think as dressment they are the worst possible financial decision which can be made.

But
Consider bigger wheels, since you have to replace the tires anyway, if squirm is a factor in your tire decision.
Current wheels are 22.5s so I'm just toying with a wider tire to fit those on the front axle. Current tire is 255/80/22.5
__________________
HarleyOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:35 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
ducksface's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
Posts: 2,873
THOR #13932
I don't know the models of Thor.
https://buytruckwheels.com/collections/alcoa-24
__________________
Below is a link to most of my modifications either accomplished or pending.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...n-18996-3.html

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:04 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 17,826
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyOutlaw View Post
Current wheels are 22.5s so I'm just toying with a wider tire to fit those on the front axle. Current tire is 255/80/22.5
If you wanted to go wider but not taller; consider a lower profile tire.
Perhaps a "60"?
Here's a little something to help with the Math...

https://tiresize.com/calculator/
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:22 PM   #12
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 5,386
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyOutlaw View Post
Current wheels are 22.5s so I'm just toying with a wider tire to fit those on the front axle. Current tire is 255/80/22.5
Generally, when replacing OEM tires on my vehicles, particularly trucks and SUVs, I always go with the bigger tire. Say from a 245 to a 265.

But, I don't think changing just the front tires on your coach will provide any noticeable improvement in the area you're looking for. The "truck air wave" hits the back of the coach first pushing the tail to the right , making the coach head left. Bigger tires on the front won't stop that.

What helps is knowing the big truck is coming and moving as far right in your lane as you can as he overtakes you. This lessens the impact of the "truck air wave", not to mention giving you more correction room should you need it.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:55 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 17,826
THOR #8860
Yup! Using your mirrors can help a whole lot!
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:17 PM   #14
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 37RB
State: South Dakota
Posts: 68
THOR #3558
Thanks everyone. This was just a thought on my part. Sounds like it's not worth the effort
__________________
HarleyOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:39 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 17,826
THOR #8860
But you've got to admit: it's fun to peek over the fence... and wonder!
__________________
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:38 PM   #16
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 37RB
State: South Dakota
Posts: 68
THOR #3558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
But you've got to admit: it's fun to peek over the fence... and wonder!
Yes it is
__________________
HarleyOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:53 AM   #17
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedon Elite 26HE
State: Massachusetts
Posts: 8
THOR #20751
2016 Outlaw /class A

I would go for a suspension upgrade. You aleady have a steering stabilizer but I think you may want to look at heavy duty sway bars.
We have a 2018 Thor 26HE, a lot smaller than your RV, and installed a RoadMaster steering stabilizer and front and rear heavy duty sway bars. Made a world of difference, I can drive with one hand on the wheel and a cup of coffee in the other. Ride is a bit stiffer but the improvements are worth it.
But like I said, my RV is a smaller than yours, so good to look at the suspension. Wider tires might give you some relief but being wider they will also flex more.

Tim
__________________
devnul@timmade.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 02:57 PM   #18
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 37RB
State: South Dakota
Posts: 68
THOR #3558
Quote:
Originally Posted by devnul@timmade.com View Post
I would go for a suspension upgrade. You aleady have a steering stabilizer but I think you may want to look at heavy duty sway bars.
We have a 2018 Thor 26HE, a lot smaller than your RV, and installed a RoadMaster steering stabilizer and front and rear heavy duty sway bars. Made a world of difference, I can drive with one hand on the wheel and a cup of coffee in the other. Ride is a bit stiffer but the improvements are worth it.
But like I said, my RV is a smaller than yours, so good to look at the suspension. Wider tires might give you some relief but being wider they will also flex more.

Tim
You may be right, I'm just not ready to put anymore into the suspension at this time. It does need tires now, and a couple of other minor repairs, so that's where the $$$$ will be going for now anyway.
__________________

__________________
HarleyOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×