Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2019, 01:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #9206
tires

Cannot get a PSI reading or air into the inside tires. Both inside tires have a valve extension. Any ideas as to why?

Old 04-26-2019, 01:18 PM   #2

Model: Freedom elite
State: Florida
THOR #12255
I have to take my hubcaps off the dual tires to be able to get a reading and also to be able to add air. Not easy to add air usually takes me awhile for a 70 year old boy!
Old 04-26-2019, 01:19 PM   #3

Model: Freedom elite
THOR #12255
tires

Too many reports of valve extensions causing flat tires or blowouts! So I don’t use valve extensions. I also secured the plastic mud flaps to make sure they don’t come loose and cause a flat tire.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:21 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Valve extension is probably loose somewhere allowing the valve at the tire to close.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:36 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac man View Post
I have to take my hubcaps off the dual tires to be able to get a reading and also to be able to add air. Not easy to add air usually takes me awhile for a 70 year old boy!

Funny! I always check the weather and place something to eat and drink on the ground before checking tires. You don't want the neighbors to see you crawling all over the yard, looking for something to pull yourself back up with.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:49 PM   #6

Model: Class C / Chateau 31L
State: Iowa
THOR #1763
We had that trouble with ours last year. My husband took the valve extension off, put some wd40 on it and worked on it. Then went to test it. Held onto it with vice grips and the air shot out. I guess it was just stuck. Then he couldn't get it back on. Too tricky he said. He had the truck place where we get the oil changed do it. He said there wasn't a little black cap on it so he put one on. I hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:44 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
Sometimes they need to be adjusted, tightened on to valve stem. I had an issue once and left one off. Then reinstalled after it sat in tool box and it has been fine for 2 years.

An extended air chuck and truck style gauge will work on e450 inside duals.

Picking up the long needle nose pliers set helps as well.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:03 PM   #8

Model: 2017 Windsport 34J
State: Alabama
THOR #5645
Don't trust the valve extensions

I haven't had any reason to distrust the extensions that came on my Windsport but the ones on the Greyhawk I had gave me fits. The Milton 501 Dual Head Straight Chuck Inflator Gauge (or one like it) was the solution.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
WarEagleDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:36 AM   #9

Model: 26B
THOR #11318
How do you take the hubcaps off? Trying like hell on my 26B, but don’t want to damage them.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:28 PM   #10

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #3109
Might check into a longer valve stem--6" or 8" for the inner duals, done once, done right. Find them at real truck tire service centers. No extensions to leak, stem is out where you can reach it.
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:54 PM   #11

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Agree with Wingnut. Get long valves. They are called dually valves and they are a done and done solution. Costs about $200 and more for installation if you don’t do it with new tires but it fixes the problems and makes checking or adding air as easy as on a car. Plus you can use a TPMS system which I consider essential kit.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:13 PM   #12

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven8109 View Post
How do you take the hubcaps off? Trying like hell on my 26B, but don’t want to damage them.
A thin, wide blade pry-bar or super-sized flat blade screwdriver
Work around the outside a little at a time
Try to get your blade deep under the hub cap
They flex a bit, but can be damaged if you’re not patient
Old 04-30-2019, 07:42 PM   #13

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I messed around with several different extensions. the factory ones leaked...then I went with some rigid ones. They are all finicky...the push rods can be a bit too long...or too short....or bent... or too narrow.....or.

Eventually I removed the wheel simulators permanently. Wish I'd done it right away.... removed all of the extensions and now can get at everything through the handholds with standard truck chucks and gauges

I used to use a pry bar like this one to remove my simulators
https://www.amazon.com/Fuller-Tool-6.../dp/B076PQ8KSH
worked like a champ
Old 04-30-2019, 09:26 PM   #14

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
A thin, wide blade pry-bar or super-sized flat blade screwdriver
Work around the outside a little at a time
Try to get your blade deep under the hub cap
They flex a bit, but can be damaged if you’re not patient
I removed mine once with a long screw drivers. It was a PITA. So i purchased a Hub Cap removal tool. Much easier and safer. You can also use the rubber part to pop the cover back on. Click link below.

https://www.amazon.com/Main-Resource...s%2C171&sr=1-2
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:01 PM   #15

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven8109 View Post
Depends on your wheels. I have to remove two locking nuts and the caps come right off. If you have this type you will damage them trying to use a pry bar.
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1556665231

I have a Les Schwab store about 8 miles away and they do a fine job keeping my tires up to par and for free. I have the same issue Gritz and Mac Man have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2924.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	17006  
Old 05-04-2019, 08:15 PM   #16

State: Alberta
THOR #14862
tire pressures

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagleDan View Post
I haven't had any reason to distrust the extensions that came on my Windsport but the ones on the Greyhawk I had gave me fits. The Milton 501 Dual Head Straight Chuck Inflator Gauge (or one like it) was the solution.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yep, the Milton is a good piece of kit. Make sure you get the one with the little ridges inside that grip onto your threads. Also replacing the valve stem caps with the ones that you don't have to remove saves about 99% of the hassle. Get the short ones, believe they are called "air through". Milton has them or any truck stop and some RV dealers.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:25 AM   #17

Model: Four Winds 35 SB
THOR #10298
Lost count how many times I’ve dealt with faulty valve extensions. Make sure your mudflaps are secure and do not impact any part of the valve extension. You cannot go wrong by ensuring that you do not have valve extensions on the inside dully tire. I go with a long valve extension but not a stainless steel extender on the inside tire. This makes it easier to ensure that you have the proper inflation in all of your tires.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:02 PM   #18

THOR #10428
Exclamation Tire issues

Had the same problem. Drove my coach for a long time. Took it to my dealer, they don't do tires. Got it to my tire guys had no air in the inside tire and ruined the outside tire. had only 2100 miles on my coach. Since I bought it I always had trouble with this inside tire. Be very careful riding on those. Put new valve extensions on my rear tires and added a tire pressure monitoring system on my coach. I just came back from a trip from the Grand Canyon over 5000 miles and I had peace of mind the entire trip. An awesome investment in safety
Old 05-05-2019, 11:29 PM   #19

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbat View Post
Had the same problem. Drove my coach for a long time. Took it to my dealer, they don't do tires. Got it to my tire guys had no air in the inside tire and ruined the outside tire. had only 2100 miles on my coach. Since I bought it I always had trouble with this inside tire. Be very careful riding on those. Put new valve extensions on my rear tires and added a tire pressure monitoring system on my coach. I just came back from a trip from the Grand Canyon over 5000 miles and I had peace of mind the entire trip. An awesome investment in safety

Totally agree on using a TPMS system. I wouldn’t travel without it. I have a TireMinder system on dually valves and it’s rock solid. In nearly 20,000 miles I had just one false alarm. System showed a “slow leak” on one tire but self corrected within a few miles.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:39 PM   #20

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
I bought a set of 3" Slime valves extenders. They work fine for me but you may need a different size. They do not leak air and barely protrude past the rim so are safe. I have to press firmly with my tire chuck when adding air but otherwise no problem. If you are having trouble with adding air or checking pressure, make sure the extensions are screwed in tightly so that the internal valve release pin makes contact properly.